1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Bolt to be put into production next year (2016)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Brianb913, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I don't think someone that's looking to spend 100k on a sleek and beautiful tesla would cross shop with a dinky looking bolt. EV range be damned.

I might be wrong though...

3. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Remember the Model 3? The "30K 200 mile mass market" car that Tesla is banking on to make itself a profitable company? The Bolt poses a very real threat to that, The second gen Nissan Leaf will be out for around that price with 200 mile range as well in the 2017 time frame. Tesla will no longer be a company without any competition. If Tesla doesn't bring the Model 3 to market in a reasonable time frame, it's going to lose a lot of sales before it even releases.

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Gotcha, that makes more senseā€¦ :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't fall behind when there isn't any competition.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Someone that can afford the S won't buy the Bolt. Someone waiting for the 3 might get the Bolt if it arrives first.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and someone waiting for the bolt might die of old age.

Tracksyde and wjtracy like this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I resemble that remark.
    I don't know if that is the fault of GM or the age of the customers.

bisco likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    FTFY ;)

:ROFLMAO:

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a good point. What are the odds that the Bolt gets delayed another few months? I mean Nissan was rumored to double the Leaf's EV range to 150 miles for Leaf 2.0. What makes GM think they can triple EV range from the Spark EV in a single generation? Nissan has just as much if not more experience in the EV business as GM.

This announcement may just be another marketing tactic. I still remember the big billboard that I saw everyday coming to work advertising 230 mpg on the Chevy Volt before it came out.

11. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bolt and Leaf 2.0 are direct competitors in every way to the Model 3 and they are coming out first. Pretty much the very definition of competition and falling behind.

IF the Bolt does get delayed for even as long as a year, which is very unlikely if suppliers are already prepping and involved (unless a critical supplier fails spectacularly) it will still hit the streets before the Model 3 and around the same time as Leaf 2.0, unless Tesla has a production ready Model 3 and it's assembly line sitting under a tarp somewhere both the Bolt and Leaf 2.0 will be out first.

Nissan has stated that they both can double the current Leaf range and are working on a 200+ mile Leaf, so I suspect Leaf 2.0 will have multiple battery pack options, with the 200 mile version sitting right in the Bolt's price range. There is a chance however that these may be translation errors.

There have been huge changes in the higher up management at GM. They are not the same company as they were even 5 years ago. Everything I've seen out of them lately both in media and behind the scenes on the supplier side of things shows big changes to the way GM works internally. They have started putting out higher quality products at reasonable prices. It will take time for the quality to show through Chevy's reputation but I look for Chevy quality to climb in the coming years. They have the money and resources to make an affordable 200 mile BEV a reality, and a leader in battery chemistry in their corner. There is no reason for them not to put out this car.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing comes out, until it comes out. i'm not denying the possibility, but that's all it is. a competitors product is available for you to purchase. can you do that?

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, i've been censored!:mad::p

#13 bisco, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  14. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Let's remember that the Bolt production story is a leak from a supplier and not an official GM production target announcement. When they do announce production dates, GM normally meets them but occasionally products are delayed.

These next generation batteries come from LG Chem. They have been signing up multiple car makers for these cells and multiple companies are saying 200 mile range cars can be sold using these cells for $35-38k before credits. These target production dates are coming up very soon so it seems near certain that the new cells have already been thoughly tested by LG Chem and multiple customers and production pricing and contract agreements have been thoroughly vetted.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Spark is a smaller car than the Leaf, so has less space for batteries. Despite having 5Wh less in battery capacity(19 vs. 24), it has a better rated range than the leaf(82 vs. 75 miles). Unless, it has been announced otherwise, the 2nd gen Leaf will still be using air cooling for the pack. The active cooling and heating GM uses on the Volt and Spark adds cost, but it does help in getting the most out of the pack.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let me know when i can by one, and i'll check the competition then to see what all is available. for now it's a hundred miles give or take, unless you've got the denaro.

17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OR buy Prius C :(

18. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The Bolt, or whatever they will call it, is looking more and more real now.

There is another story, this time in the highly plugged-in Detroit News, saying that an official announcement will be made next week at the Chicago Auto Show.

GM to announce new electric car to be built at Orion

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #19 hill, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  20. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle: