1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Bolt to be put into production next year (2016)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Brianb913, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. just don't think tesla is falling behind. yet. i keep hearing the same thing from prius haters.

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not falling behind, the issue is to be able to deliver at this price in 3 years, or Tesla will keep delaying it!

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where this idea comes from that there have been multiple delays on the model 3. The original date for the model 3 is 2017, and it is dependant on the giga factory. The date is still 2017,and the giga factory is ahead of schedule. We have lots of dependencies so this is a risky schedule. It depends not only on the tesla design team, but also suppliers, especially panasonic.

The original S (bluestar) was delayed because a contractor, Fisker did not do a good design (or a design that tesla's management liked) so they took time to redesign. The major delays happened pre-ipo, and before anyone bought the car. Fisker started his own company and it has already gone belly up. This is not a risk in the 3 as it is internally designed from the start.

The X has been delayed about 1 year, but a major new system from it, dual motors is shipping. Pre-orders exceed expectations.

IMHO 2018 is a better (more conservative) date than 2017, but Tesla is attempting to walk and chew gum (build the gigafactory and new cars) at the same time. The price and schedule are at risk. If they hit the schedules and sales projections the model 3 will outsell the prius in 2020 in every country but japan. That is an aggressive plan.

The bolt is a less risky proposition when it comes to schedule. They are using lg tech, and lg is pushing the new batteries. Its based on the sonic platform not a new platform designed for a bev. I hope the bolt is sucessful, but sucess here is probably 3000 per month. It won't hurt model 3 sales if tesla delivers.

Tracksyde and Zythryn like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree really looking for Bolt analysis, what is the prospect of a 200 mile EV in early 2017?
    Or maybe takes longer, more explensive, etc.
    Do we know the LG Chem technology advance that gives us this battery?
    Is it robust?
    Will the EPA agree wih 200-mile range or will it come in at 120 EPA or something?

(Musk already has a new carbon tax in CA.)

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a number of things that could change for the Bolt.
    LG has been talking about a chemistry allowing 200 mile EVs. So I am fairly confident battery tech will be there for the Bolt.
    We really don't know much yet about what "200 mile range" means. It would be odd to give the old epa range as that really is a few years back now.
    At this point it is probably mathematics based on proposed battery tech, weight, air drag, etc.

I would be happy if they get a 150 mile real world result. Shorter than that would be a disappointment.

It also sounds like a nationwide release which will be nice. No better way to spread knowledge about the advantages of EVs than to have them on the roads.

FL_Prius_Driver and austingreen like this.
  6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will be interesting to see how much improvement GM (has /will) make to the masses. Also how GM plans to sell the Bolt to every day people.

DBCassidy

7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    All the rumors and the concept are "200 miles". GM isn't a Japanese company so they can't claim to be quoting super-easy Japanese 10-15 test cycle miles. For the Volt concept they claimed 40 miles of EV range which turned out to be a claim based on EPA city (UDDS) miles and the final combined city/highway estimate was 35 miles (but the concept was pre-2008 EPA estimate "reality" downward adjustments).

We don't know anything about the new LG cells except that they are new and they and GM, along with other car makers, have tended to be secretive about battery cell details.

LG has claimed they will be ready to supply cells starting in 2016. GM is generally good about keeping to their announced schedules.

I think we'll see a 2017 "Bolt" on sale in 2017 with a combined EPA range of at least 175 miles.

Perhaps we will know more on Thursday at the Chicago Auto Show PR event for Chevrolet.

Zythryn likes this.
  8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Still no hard numbers or date though.
    "long-range pure electric for all 50 states, designed to offer more than a GM-estimated 200 miles of range at a target price of around $30,000."

Expect the $30k to be after incentives.
    Nationwide is good, but we'll have to wait and see if is more than Focus EV nationwide. With the Volt at dealers, I think the chances are good that it is.
    The 'GM-estimated' has me a little concerned though. The Spark EV, if equipped with a pack the size of the Leaf's, could hit 100 miles EPA. An affordable 150 mile EV would be great. By the rule of thirds it would easily work for people with up to 50 mile commutes across the country. if the 150mi EV was being promoted as a 200mi one, there will be a backlash for the company.

I say the Model 3 will have a greater range than the Bolt and Leaf when it arrives, but will lose initial sales of the impatient to them.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'new cells', how long until i'm comfortable with their longevity?