1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Chevy Bolt to have 238 Mile Range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    GM in Europe goes by the name Opel or Vauxhall in the UK. The Bolt is being sold there as an Opel Ampera-e.

prius_noob likes this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yikes! You pay LIPA/PSEG-LI rates? What are they at the margin for charging?

3. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhhh cool. I didn't know that. Vauxhall doesn't have the best reputation here really, though it seems to be improving - perhaps not as quick as Volvo, but it is improving

EDIT: It seems it's still not coming to the UK, at least not for a while, by which point they won't be the market leader for range

GM denies Britain all-electric Opel Ampera-e | Autocar

Opel Ampera-e electric car won't come to UK as a Vauxhall | Auto Express

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Opel was sold in the USA during the 1970's still see some on the roads, I saw one yesterday! :D

5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Ampera-e was going to be sold in the UK. They are only selling it right now in the countries that use a left side steering wheel like the US.

prius_noob likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Among others, the Opel GT.

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably 85% of my charging is done at the free CHargePoint station at work. Once I arrive home I have almost enough charge to return back to work the next morning without additional charge, so I usually just "top-off" my "safety factor" charge at home.

My home electric bill hasn't changed since I got the Volt because I don't charge it at home very often and when I do- it's consumption is offset by savings from LED bulbs, more efficient appliances, etc... and other upgrades I've made around the house over the past couple of years.

FWIW- LIPA/PSEG-LI rates are about 23 cents/kWhr after fees, yadda, yadda. If you have grid-tied solar they pay you back at 7 cents/kWhr for your excess...:(

3PriusMike likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Dang! That $0.07 is great! So Cal Edison only gives us wholesale 2.9¢

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nice on-the-job benefit! About the same gross LIPA/PSEGLI rates here. We went 100% LED lighting several years ago, and also went to inverter spot heating/cooling. Wish I could convert the rest of our motor-driven appliances to inverter power. Had no idea the grid-supply rate was a whole 7 cents per kWh. Yikes! Meanwhile, they convert more and more of the bill into 'take or pay' fixed charges. It's a scam, I tell ya! A scam!

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 7 cents is illusory. What they 'give' in grid-supply rate they take away in 'take or pay' fixed charge increases.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    24 cents.:(

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The 'illusory' generalization is illusory. Some jurisdictions are very generous while other jurisdictions are more stingy. Ours utility is somewhere in the middle. Although we only get 2.9¢/kWh for our surplus, our electricity is charged on a tiered system. Similarly if we over generate,we are credited on a tiered system. That rationale is fairly reasonable. Also (for example) - if 100,000 of the SCE electrical utility customers were over generating 34 or 35 kWh per day, the utility would have to install larger transformers in many of its cities, as the older units weren't fitted to handle those kinds of incoming loads. Yes, - So Cal Edison executives are WAY overpaid - & they maintain their custoners' older equipment poorly ... but as it stands - on the whole, they're pretty much on par with most areas' utility companies.
    ymmv

#72 hill, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i remember visiting a golf course in cali in the late '80's. they were bemoaning the price of water. and having read and learned about water issues out west, i bought into it. then i saw their bill, and it was half of what we were paying in the boston area.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Reviews of the OT but ... Don't get me started. Hundred fifty Acres average for an 18-hole Golf Course. And there are thousands out here in SoCal. No water, yet we blow it on a hobby. Meanwhile we're shutting down all the pecan, Walnut, orange, cashew, lemon, grapefruit, filbert, brazilnut orchards etc, so overweight alcoholics can push a plastic ball into a hole. Arizona wants to cut down our water allotment because they have thousands of alcoholic overweight hobbyists as well.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not to mention all the developments you've built on prime farmland.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yup .... saw lots of land in Montana getting similarly wasted & we're now seeing lots of it in Tennessee getting concreted over.

#76 hill, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That was the best and now a collectable!

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't generalize all golfers. ;)

thumb-itr__1215942484_FunnyGolfLesson1.jpg

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, brings back memories of caddy shack. i was 26, and in love with lacy underall.:cool:

orenji likes this.
  20. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, looks like they announced the price, for the base LT version at least. $37,495, which with the plug-in tax credit, assuming you get the full amount, brings it to just a tad under $30k. So I guess they're technically telling the truth with that "under $30k" price point, though just barely.

I'm wondering how that $750 CCS fast charger option is going to affect sales/resale, unless it's something that can be added on afterwards. If it has to be installed when they're building the car, I think that'll turn some people off. Especially if CCS public chargers actually start showing up in places people may actually use them in a few years. For folks using it exclusively around town, and then charging it up in their garage, they probably won't care.

Chevrolet Bolt EV Priced From $37,495, Under 30K With Incentives