1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Chevy Cruze diesel

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am loath to post this because it reads like a 'steady, undocumented speed, on a highway' rather than a proper EPA test: Chevy Cruise Diesel gets 52 mpg on highway

General Motors Co.’s new 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel sedan achieves an estimated 52 miles per gallon on the highway — the highest fuel economy of a non-hybrid or non electric.— according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

The previous-generation Cruze diesel sedan was rated at 46 mpg highway.​

Understand I recently ran 1,200 miles in the 65-75 mph speed range in a Prius Prime and got 55.7 MPG. I've often gotten 52 MPG with both our Gen-1 and Gen-3 Prius in steady speed, 65-70 mph on standard days. So I don't doubt the claim for a constant speed. But a constant speed is not one of the standard EPA test protocols. Worse, if the speed is not reported, it is worse than useless but deliberately misleading.

Bob Wilson

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    That's really a high speed for such a high mpg average on the Prime.
    It must be even further at a recommended 55mph......:cool:

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The weather has been too cold for a standard day to do my typical mph vs MPG benchmarks.

Bob Wilson

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was hot and I left climate controls off my old cobalt was around 50mpg at 55mph.

These stories need context

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rmay635703 likes this.
  6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    A return of the 50mpg EPA ice and even a stick to match.
    If this was being sold 6+ years ago I might have even owned one, especially in a station wagon trim (if it had enough room to justify the fe hit)

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You may be right:

In addition to its segment-leading EPA-estimated 52 mpg highway fuel economy, Cruze Diesel with the six-speed manual returns an EPA-estimated city mileage of 30 mpg, resulting in 37 mpg combined. Cruze Diesel with the nine-speed automatic achieves an EPA-estimated highway economy of up to 47 mpg and 31 city mpg, which results in 37 mpg combined.

The city MPG is about what I'd expect. It is the highway MPG that seems a little optimistic. With luck, we'll have the EPA metrics soon enough.

LATE THOUGHS:
    • highway 52 MPG manual vs 47 MPG auto - this is too much and suggests a problem in their transmission engineering.
    • city 30 MPG manual vs 31 MPG auto - huh?? Less bad but makes me wonder if it was a rounding error. That these two numbers are close, good, at least not as suspicious as the highway numbers.
    Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, finally the technical details: How the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Gets 52 MPG » AutoGuide.com News

One of its biggest economy enhancers is a variable-displacement oil pump, which offers two different flow rates. In low-load driving, such as steady-state cruising on the highway, it provides less volume, saving energy. When a driver demands extra oomph, the pump seamlessly delivers a greater flow of lubricant. Siegrist said even the piston-cooling oil jets can be shut off when not needed, saving more fuel.

Another way engineers improved this 1.6-liter engine’s efficiency is by optimizing how it burns diesel. “We inject up to 10 times per combustion event,” Siegrist said, a strategy that’s part of a “very, very complex” fuel-delivery system with injectors that operate at a whopping 29,000 psi.

Aside from improving fuel economy, this multi-injection approach provides another real-world benefit: a major reduction in noise. “It’s a huge part of making it quieter,” said Siegrist. Older diesel engines are typically quite raucous because each cylinder’s fuel is delivered in one big squirt, which creates a similarly loud bang. By metering the delivery in a more controlled manner, noise can be greatly reduced.

Nice article, worth a read. The other advantage is smaller injections lead to more rapid and complete combustion. A big slug is an invitation to soot.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  9. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The diesel experts at VW/Audi couldn't figure this out. Their solution to noise was to cheat on the emissions test. The jury is out, however, until we see how reliable the new Cruze diesel is. Will their high-pressure fuel pump disintegrate and destroy the engine? Will there be carbon build-up? Are there all kinds of sensors that will fail, causing the engine to fail? What will its real world efficiency be? What are its real world emissions?

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Figuring it out would cost money in research. VW was really the only diesel option in the US for decades. They choose those profits over actually solving the emission problem.

GM made the investment into this engine because they wanted diesel as an option to hybrids and plug ins for meeting CAFE targets. They also started the research back when they thought VW wasn't cheating.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So for such a complex engine, there has to be a cost to buy the car premium you pay. And then you pay again every time you fill up. 52 MPG diesel is not equal to 52 gas in the cost of ownership equation. 52 diesel is not equal to 52 gas in the cost of ownership equation.

Future maintenance costs uncertainty is a factor that would concern me.

Golly I love the engineering that went into this.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Diesels tend to depreciate less than their gas counterparts; the upfront cost is generally recouped on resale/trade in.

Diesel fuel only costs more in some parts of the country. It is the same or even less than regular unleaded in California for instance.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Now that a court has ruled VW buys them back at 'fair market value' as of one a date certain, indeed, they have stopped depreciation. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#13 bwilson4web, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  14. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to keep a spreadsheet of local gas VRS diesel prices, over the 5 years I did, I found that as gas prices went up diesel prices came down or stayed the same. If diesel prices went up gas prices usually went down.

If I averaged gas+Diesel the "averaged" price in the area moved quite slowly.

Interesting that sometimes diesel is a better deal then in other seasons gas was

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just completed a trip thru 4 states (NC, VA, MD, PA). Saw 15 to 32% higher diesel prices compared to regular on the signs. One specific sign I remember was $2.679 diesel versus $1.999 gas. I guess it all depends on where you live, the season and the phase of the moon I've never seen diesel the same or lower.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks because it provides insights to the GM hubris:

As for the U.S., though, the GM executive reiterated that "carbon dioxide and fuel economy" should be the prime lens through which all green-oriented buyers should consider diesel vehicles.

Asked about the relative wells-to-wheels carbon footprints of driving a mile on grid power versus burning hydrocarbon fuels in a combustion engine, Nicholson pivoted seamlessly.

GM offers two very good plug-in vehicles, he noted, the Chevrolet Bolt EV electric car with 238 miles of range and the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid with 53 miles of range and the ability to use gasoline when needed for longer trips.

But, he suggested, those vehicles may not be ideal for every buyer—and diesel offers another way to reduce the carbon footprint of personal transport.

He suffers from the same Detroit belief that Prius people are environmental-only buyers. Understand I'm not in the business of teaching a pig to sing or helping GM get a clue.

Bob Wilson

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A