1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Cruze Eco commercials claim 42mpg Hwy, so I decided to search for why, and found this video

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Rybold, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I saw a commercial earlier today for the Chevy Cruze Eco and it claimed 42 mpg Hwy, so I decided to search for how it gets from 28mpg city to 42mpg hwy.

Does the Cruze Eco really get 42mpg?

Well, I found this. Anyone know if this car actually gets 42mpg hwy?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Chevy Cruze Eco commercials claim 42mpg Hwy, so I decided to search for why, and found this vide

Since only 19% of Cruze sales in July were the ECO model and only manual ECO has the 42 estimate (it's 39 for the automatic), the short answer is no.

The real story is combined MPG... which is 33 for the ECO manual and 31 for the ECO automatic. Neither is really impressive for a compact sedan... and a far cry from what Prius offers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Chevy Cruze Eco commercials claim 42mpg Hwy, so I decided to search for why, and found this vide

Grille shutters are a clever idea, but it's important to keep in mind several things:
    (1) Like any other aero feature, it loses effect at lower speeds.
    (2) He stated that it adds about 1mpg at highway speeds. You can gain a LOT more than that by simply slowing down.
    (3) You want to be sure that the "fail" position is with the shutter OPEN.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

A shutter system that uses energy(electricity to operate I suppose) to reduce drag by 0.16 Cd in order to achieve an additional 1mpg on highway only with the manual transmission only?

Awesome, Sign me up!

5. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

In the video he said it reduces the Cd "by point zero one six", so I think he meant 0.016

1 person likes this.
  6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

It seems complicated to pick up just 1mpg limited to the manual transmission model on the highway.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well if it's just 1mpg, is that the reason why Toyota didn't bother with the idea? I understand all the small things add up (Wheel covers, aero corners, longer rear spoiler, underbody fins, underbody covers) but I'm guessing all of those are cheap compared to active grille shutters.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

It won't work in cold weather as ice will keep it frozen stuck.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

:D
    Ok, it's no longer fun, you just spoiled it for them!

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Oops, let's just say it is only about 4 out of 12 months.

Toyota engineers for the worse conditions, not just ideal scenarios. This is why Prius has exhaust heat recovery system instead of this.

11. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

That's what the optional electric grill heater is for! :D haha

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Makes you wonder how many times we did that with Volt. Remember 2 years ago, it was the "230 MPG" claims then. Last year, it was the 50 MPG claims after depletion.

But since most enthuaists don't want to consider real-world scenarios... like ice... the hype dominates their promotion.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The new Focus uses it. I think in all trims. I believe BMW has been using it for years in their fuel economy packages.

It's good engineering to have the shutter to default open on a failure, but many cars have excessive cooling capacity for most driving situations. I have a @80% grill block on the HHR, and many Prius drivers also block theirs. The aerodynamics don't come into play at low speeds, but it does help the warm up cycle.

So. I would like to be able to manually open and close it from the cab, with it only open while stuck in traffic during the summer, or while towing something.

14. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

At least they aren't claiming "up to 47 MPG" for an Elantra like one of the local stealerships here is - it was on a mailing they sent out. I laughed, threw it in the recycle bin (I love the look of the Elantra, and it seems to be a very nice car). Then I realized, I bet I could really get them in trouble for false advertising, since you're only allowed to advertise the EPA ratings. The funny thing, is that no hyundai is rated 47 MPG in any EPA test. Where'd they get that figure?!?

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

1949 called:D, they have your part available
    SKANDIX Shop Volvo parts: Radiator blind (1023223)

The Volvo PV444 had such a system, I assume they were available on other cars before that. Some cars as far back as far as the 1920s had manually operated grill closures, but the Volvo blind is stone-ax simple.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Yeah, I was originally going to say that this is nothing new.
    But consumers are clueless, and likely believe that movies out of Hollywood are also original.

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Actually 37 MPG for the auto.

This is a desperate ploy that isn't really panning out in reality. First, the eco price premium is such over the regular that you'd probably never even come close to it paying for itself and second most drivers continue to desire automatic transmissions.

Re. 47mpg elantra, I googled it and it seems a few dealerships are advertising that, how silly:

2011 Hyundai Elantra Appears At Bill Marsh Hyundai

18. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

This seems like a good as place as any (I am kind of proud of this one) I just completed a work-commute only gas tank in our Fiesta and got 34.6mpg @ 26mph average.

As you can see by that average speed, most of it is slow city stop and go. I have a few miles of open 60mph cruising at the beginning (morning) and end (afternoon) but the rest is pretty much city streets.

I could not be happier with a car that exceeds city ratings this much.

I used to drive the Prius and my wife drove the Fiesta but she averaged 29.1 in the Fiesta and I averaged 44 or so in the Prius. My trip is 12mi (used to be 9, switched routes that involved less idling) and hers is 16mi. Seems ideal for both cars being swapped because she gets 46 or so and I do much better.

The SFE fiesta has just regular grille blockers (sides) and a lot of people are claiming gains...it is just too hot here for me to risk it without a coolant gage.

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I think the Elantra is a good looking car, but that picture looks Photoshopped to make it look even better.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

A scangauge or ultragauge is probably the best investment you can make if saving gas is your goal. They're even useful outside of hypermiling.