1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Cruze's 42mpg highway passes up the Ford Fiesta's 40mpg..

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Rybold, Nov 13, 2010.

1. bigcwill

bigcwill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2011 Hyundai Elantra will get 29/40 in both manual and automatic. Manual is $3,000 less than Cruze Eco which means your first 1,000 gallons of gas are "free", not to mention 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

2011_Elantra_Press_Release

2. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Manuals are almost always more efficient on the highway. In the city a modern automatic is better then a manual.

3. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Elantra does sound like a great car. The Eco Cruze is an achievement for GM, but for the majority of non-manual drivers the high mpg choice will be the Elantra.

4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From what I have read, the Cruze is a bright spot in GM's stable. OTOH, I do not understand why/how GM lost their way, and did not utilize more Cruze components in the Volt? Again, from what I have read, the Volt's ICE is a step backwards? (high test fuel and emissions)

BTW, body panels do not impact drag much in city driving. The success must lay elsewhere.

And, I have never understood GM's reasoning to discontinue the Saturn line? I never owned one, but they were attractive, and the early hype made it sound like GM's future.

5. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Saturn was not profitable in the beginning, not sure if the division ever was. Their sales mostly cannabilized from sales of other GM divisions. And their cars never measured up to competing small cars, in the middle years the engines and drivetrains were primitive compared to other manufacturers cars in the same segment. Just for starters...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Corporation]Saturn Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes they are, much more. Here where fuel is 2-3 times more expensive a six speed manual can make a significant difference to fuel economy. A lot of my taxi driver friends still insist on driving a manual diesel, despite most trips being in town, because of the fuel economy savings. (they don't make their life hard driving a manual just for the sake of it, but because it saves then significant money. Why they don't have a Prius is another matter! )

One thing I have noticed is that 5 speed manuals are still the manual option in the US & Canada, whereas here in Europe virtually all are 6 speed. Often 6th gear is a high ratio to achieve low mpg's at highway speeds.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From what I can tell the difference in fuel economy between manual and automatic is approaching irrelevance. There are more than a few cases where an auto gets better.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Greenlings: Why do automatic transmissions now get better fuel efficiency than manuals? — Autoblog Green

There are US some cars where the manual version gets inferior mileage compared to the CVT and automatic, at least on EPA test cycles. Per Side-by-Side Comparison, here are the EPA ratings for the 2010 3.5L V6 Altima:
    6MT 18/27, 21 combined
    CVT: 20/27, 23 combined
    You can't get the manual on the 4 banger.

2006 3.5L V6 Altima:
    6MT: 18/26, 21 combined
    5AT: 18/27, 21 combined

Here's the figures for the 2010 Lexus IS250.
    6MT: 18/26, 21 combined
    6AT: 21/29, 24 combined

I wouldn't be surprised if some of it has to do w/the gear ratios they picked on the manuals.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed this on rental cars quite a long time ago. The manual transmissions remaining in this household are, unfortunately, geared for performance. They spin higher RPM at highway speed than their automatic counterparts, thereby sufffering greater pumping and other losses.

They are still more efficient overall than the automatics of the same age, but the situation has flipped on numerous more recent models. Too many car makers believe that anyone buying anything above the basic econobox wants a manual transmission to burn rubber, not to save fuel / weight / maintenance.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the Prius is an automatic? lol

Over here, the manuals tend to be nearly identical in non-performance models (e.g. 5-spd manual Corolla vs. 4-spd auto) and slightly worse in performance models (probably because of more aggressive gear ratios as they expect the manual driver to be someone who's more interested in acceleration than someone who choses the automatic model)

The few non-performance models with 6-spds that I can think of are the Nissan Versa SL (top model.. base model has a 5-spd) and the CR-Z. I guess you can throw the Corolla XRS in there. It's the sportiest model with a 2.4 litre engine and 160hp but I don't consider it in the same league as the Sentra SE-R Spec-V or the GTI or MazdaSpeed3

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was turned off Saturns from day one by the cult-like commercials. Even as a kid I knew better.

That is, until I drove one in the 90's. And by God if it wasn't just the worst car I'd ever driven. Wow, unreal terrible. Then I was really turned off.

That said, Saturn was not all bad, their plastic panels despite not having the closest tolerances due to the specifics of the material ensured you'd never have rusted body panels. I wish other manufacturers would look at this option

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    GM took the cruize engine then removed the turbo, not exactly a design decission that makes much sense except to the brass at GM. Originally the cruize engine was supposed to have DI, and that would have made the transition less painfull, but GM hit the fuel economy goal on cruize without it, and decided to save the money. Thus undersized, there was not the hp to give it atkinson valve timing. Add the lack of torque, the direct drive does not hit until high speed, not used on the epa testing. In city cycles the volt will of course do better than the cruize.

Light weight with an efficient turbo engine and low rolling resistance tires.

1 person likes this.
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At 2011 Chevy Cruze: L.A. to Vegas and Back, they drove an automatic 1.4L turbo (only 138 hp) and got 27.4 mpg on the 1st tank and 30.1 mpg on the next tank. EPA ratings are 24/36. They did seem to like the drive though.

But, if you look at 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ Archives - Long-Term Road Tests, they had a problem w/a leaky trunk, from the start.

I am a bit shocked that their, as equipped Cruze was so much.

From http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/cruze/2011/long-term-test-2011-chevrolet-cruze-ltz.html
    Paying MSRP for a CHEVY?!?!? That seems crazy. On the plus side, if GM can keep demanding such prices on their Cruzes, besides enriching their dealers, at least they shouldn't need to slap on incentives.