1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Chevy Malibu hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    No. It's just like the similar module in a Prius. It just converts high voltage power down to 12V to run traditional 12V car parts and to maintain the 12V lead acid battery charge level since there is no conventional gas engine alternator.

Tesla didn't have a 12V battery in the Roadster but use a dedicated 12V battery in the S and X. I don't know all of the trade offs involved or why they reverted back to a dedicated 12V battery.

#21 Jeff N, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  2. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely not - I'm used to Volkswagen (Mk2 and Mk4 Golf/Jetta) and Mazda (NA and NB Miata, which is mostly the same) ergonomics, not Toyota.

3. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Can you give specific examples where you thought the Volt ergonomics were a problem compared to the Prius?

4. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For my chosen seating position (I'm 6'1" but tend to sit fairly far forward, due to getting used to driving Miatas and liking that driving position), I found that the shifter position was too far rearward, and the mode select buttons behind it were even worse to try to manipulate while driving. That's the most glaring ergonomic flaw, but I found that most controls just didn't feel natural to go for.

It is worth noting that the Malibu's obviously a different car, but the Volt reflects GM's interior design preferences, so...

(Mind you, the Prius does have one ergonomic flaw that I will always ding all Toyotas for, because it's Toyota's thing - the cruise control stalk being a dedicated stalk, and being located where it is.)

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You want what you are used to but don't point out why the separate stalk would be inferior. I've driven cars for 57 years, some far before cruise control was ever available (can you say '30s, '40's, etc). I adapt to the car. It becomes second nature. Can't say I've even noticed even in rentals once I get beyond the first few "now where is that function" questions. As long as they are labeled clearly.

I like the separation of functions. Easy to get to with the right hand still on the wheel.

JohnF likes this.
  6. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    bwilson4web likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks it is good to have real numbers. I think that 46 kw guestimate should have been after inverter and motor losses, which I didn't consider. 52 KW from the battery.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  9. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Yes, although at least for now some of the components will come from the US. I believe the battery cells and packs for the CT6 hybrid are being made in Michigan since they are using the same cells as the Volt and the pack is just the Volt pack folded into a box instead of a T shape. LG recently opened a new battery factory in China so that could change later.

The non-plug hybrids are likely using the same cells from Hitachi as the Malibu hybrid but I'm not certain where those are manufactured. As best as I can tell, the cells are made in Japan and they are assembled into packs at a Hitachi factory in Kentucky that also makes the motors and possibly the motor controls for the 2nd gen Volt.

#29 Jeff N, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm pretty sure the GM batteries are coming from Korea.

Bob Wilson

11. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Which batteries? There multiple cells, packs, and cars now so you gotta be specific.

Bolt EV cells and packs are coming from LG Chem in Korea.

CT6 and Volt cells (LG Chem) and packs (GM) are being made in Michigan now.

Malibu (and maybe LaCrosse) hybrid cells are apparently coming from Hitachi Vehicle Energy Ltd. in Japan and packs come from Hitachi Automotive in Kentucky.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wait, isn't there another thread talking about gm paying only $145 per kilowatt? And that LG is the company? And LG is a Korean company? Are you saying that the cells - after being made into modules - are finally assembled in the US? Or maybe that the whole shebang is assembled into the car after being made over in Asia? Because as far as I can tell, the Tesla gigaFactory will be the first actual U. S. battery manufacturing plant in a long long time.

13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    LG built a battery manufacturing plant around 2012 to make cells for the Volt and for the Ford Focus EV. The cell factory is in Holland, Michigan. It was idle for 2-3 years because the volume of Volts and Focus EVs was smaller than forecast and it was cheaper to make the cells in Korea at an existing plant and then ship the cells to the US. GM built its own new factory in Michigan to take the cells and manufacture battery packs for the Volt.

That Michigan LG cell factory is now making the cells for the Volt, CT6, ELR, and Focus EV and they are expanding the manufacturing lines to make cells for the new Chrysler Pacifica minivan and perhaps other cars.

The cell factory in Korea is now going to switch to making cells for the Bolt EV. LG will then manufacture the Bolt EV pack in Korea as well, I think. They will then ship the pack, motor drive unit, A/C compressor, battery heater, infotainment and driver displays, etc. that they are making as the special primary part supplier for the Bolt EV to the GM assembly plant in Ohio where the Bolt EV body and final assembly will be done.

As for cost, GM did this primary supplier deal with LG in return for cheap battery cells at an initial $145 per kWh with a projected price drop down to around $100 per kWh by 2022.

The pricing for the Volt/CT6 cells is different and has not been published. It is probably closer to $250-300 per kWh both because they don't have the same primary part supplier deal and because the cells are constructed differently at perhaps somewhat higher cost for higher power vs energy ratio.

hill likes this.