1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Spark EV is heading to Europe

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hill, Feb 20, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chevy Spark EV to be Sold in Europe Too; Will Debut at Geneva Motor Show

This surprises me because EV's aren't selling well there (unless your country has a ton of geothermal power). Plus, it's going to cost about $4k more than what the Leaf sell for there. So, what's up?!? Is GM trying to legitimize their Frankenplug in Europe? Inquiring minds wonder about this strategy.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Erm where does it make mention of European pricing?

Remember prices here are much more expensive as we have sales tax of about 20% and our prices are usually all inclusive including delivery, pre inspections and often longer warranties.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry - it's rumor.
    Based off the following:
    Nissan knocks $6,400 off Leaf sticker price, sells S model for $28,800
    Nissan Leaf (model S) MSRP $28,800.

Chevy Spark EV Confirmed for Europe Debut
    Chevy Spark: After $7,500 Fed tax Credit
    + After $2,500 State Rebate
    Cost of $25,000.

$25,000 plus incintive money (above) is $35,000 . . . . that amount (not even including CA state rebate money) is where the $4,000 estimated price difference 'rumor' came from.

I believe it's called the Daewoo (south Korea) when it's imported into other countries. But here, we like to think of it as an 'american' car. You know ... Chevey ... made in USA? ;)

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill use Occam's razor instead of conspiracy and you will get a much easier answer. GM has decided that the spark ev is not a compliance car, so they are offering it to Europe in hopes of higher sales, which will help reduce loss per car. Losses in Europe are already high and this won't make them much worse, but if it works it helps GM's green cred. More green credentials may help opel sell more amperas (volts).

Norway seems to be buying a lot of teslas. Europe just does not seem to like the leaf or fluence. Some may buy the spark over the leaf just for looks. I don't expect them to sell many, but this is not a bad thing. The bulk of people buying spark evs are going to be charging at home and not at quick chargers.

On your other question, the gasoline spark is also the Daewoo Matiz which is produced in korea. This is tie up with Daewoo is much like the gm partnership with Suzuki on the geo metro, although it seems the spark is a much better engineered and more profitable car.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's called the Chevy Spark here in the UK. I think they are offered as Daewoo in some Countries but they had a dreadful reputation here and were rebranded Chrevrolet. Saying that, the Chevrolet line up here is a weird mix of American and Daewoo models, none of which are really anything to write home about. We get the Corvette and Camaro but in LHD form which means they're useless to drive to their potential (try overtaking in one) and cost a fortune to insure.

Chevrolet UK: New and Used Chevrolet Cars, Small cars, Sports Cars, Family Cars and SUVs

They're probably hoping the Spark EV will sell at least something. I don't understand why GM have Chevrolet when they also have Vauxhall/Opel.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    GM multi brands were a mess that helped get them into bankruptcy. They cleaned up their US brands in the bankruptcy and eliminated many, but Europe is still a mess for them.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    austingreen likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, well I didn't think I'd implied a complex formula to consider pushing Frankenplug. As it is, a USA spec Frankenplug doesn't work in the EU I believe, because they use three phase power there. World wide Chademo use is now over 2,000 units versus (I believe) zero for SAE's offering. With most EU EV's doing poorly it's just hard to reconcile selling the spark there. Why not offer the Spark in Canada then ... after all, EV sales are paltry there too.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Frankenplug is a USA and EU thing. I expect spark ev sales will eventually make it to Canada if any gm dealers actually ask for it. Other than tesla though, I don't think many bev's have enough juice for really cold weather. That may make bad pr if Canadians actually start buying them.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Chevy Spark EV rated at 82 miles, 119 MPGe combined

austingreen likes this.
  11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sergiospl likes this.
  12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree! It is closer to a Honda Fit EV, I would not expect GM to sell many.
    [​IMG]
    March 2013 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card

austingreen likes this.