1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy stops Volt production (temporarily ...)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Dark_matter_doesn't, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think only you should have choice, and not consumers? Why would you do that. Many said no one would want a prius hybrid, it was too expensive. Why not let the consumer decide.

Do you have any information that the prius phv is less expensive to manufacture than the volt. I think it currently costs more money, but toyota will bring costs down in the next generation. If you have any information on what it is costing toyota for each one, please provide it. I expect that the rumors are true and the next generation phv will have a larger battery pack.

drinnovation likes this.
  2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it very strange that you completely ignore the consumers that have already bought, and continue to buy, Volts. Yes, we know it's not as many as GM said so please don't bring that up again. There is a market, and currently it is slowly growing. That it doesn't seem to match some defined criteria in your head doesn't mean it's not there.

Currently the Volt is right about in the middle of the rankings of cars sold in America (August 2012 YTD - Top 262 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR). Using your logic all cars at the Volt and below have no consumer need.

drinnovation and austingreen like this.
  3. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Your disregarding John's special criteria. The market needs the Lexus LS hybrid. There aren't many sales, and it isn't good for the environment, but john likes it, and that is the only important factor.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not every consumer needs the highest gasoline fuel economy or seating for five.

They may want a full EV mode with longer range. Choice is good.

Too bad GM couldn't sell the Volt for less to get the product out there. They hit hard times, but they did offer a great lease rate at least. The Volt even continuing after the bankruptcy was in doubt. How would spend their time here then? Griping about eAssist? What of the other manufacturers without an affordable, effective hybrid?

5. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Classic FUD slinger behaivor.. ignore almost all the rebuttals and facts, choose one element and say it supports your view and then stomp away and refuse to continue.

Is the statement about continued disregard somehow related to an undefined "aimed at the middle market"? Your term, that you've never defined but complain when we don't address your concern properly.

Since my comment was about the price/value to the consumer about the price increase vs MPG gained, assuming MPG matters (because you seem to imply its is), then since you say I am disregarding it, should I presume you are worried about production costs and GM profit level. Unfortunately, I cannot answer what those are, but you have presented ZERO evidence that they are being disregarded. From my readings and postings, they have priced the Volt so they are nearly break even on production costs, something Toyota did not reach in the first 5 years of prius building. But they have do be near break even because GM cannot afford to underwrite R&D/early development/deployment as much as Toyota + Japan could. Viewed differently, if the production costs are higher, GM could raise the price by 6K, and the net premium per median MPG gain sould be about the same. So it come down to balancing customer need (lower price) with comany need (increase profits). You might be happy with where they set the balance, but many others are saying the price is still high.

I will admit that my posts could be viewed as insulting. But they were not intended as a personal attack. My goal was to show you that you are not being constructive and are doing things that at least at one point in your life you said you despised. I hope to change your behavior. You are a smart and passionate guy that at one point was arguing for the right side of efficiency offered by new paradigms. Now you've adopted the way of the very establishment you used to despise. More empire like than federation.

You can choose not to answer, but either way I'll keep asking questions and pointing out false statement, poor logic, misstatements and inconsistencies when people post about the Volt. If you don't want to do with that, then just stop bashing the Volt.

You can proclaim your done. I'll still be here when/if you return to volt bashing.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Camry

Malibu

Fusion

Corolla

Cruze

Focus

7. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even better: if Apple ran Government Motors - there would be no need for a bailout or the Treasury being a major shareholder.

DBCassidy

8. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best not to ask Government Motors, they don't have a clue. I do not think they even care.

DBCassidy

9. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Twisted logic and wishful thinking on your behalf.

DBCassidy

10. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Innovation,

Are you receiving a form of compensation from Government Motors?
    Based on your replies, it sure sounds like it.

DBCassidy

11. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, using "gas" in the Volt is a cardinal sin, one must go to confession and admit their sins for using "gas" in a Volt.

Repent all ye sinners, repent!!!

DBCassidy

12. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    John,

There are many unanswered questions concerning the Volt production. As mentioned in past threads, Government Motors is not being forthcoming

DBCassidy

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And all the auto workers would be in China.

austingreen likes this.
  14. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't laugh too hard. Don't you think China would love to acquire all the shares from the Treasury Dept.?

They sure would.

Food for thought.

DBCassidy

15. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then, how many of these people were the Federal Government purchasing the Volts.

DBCassidy

16. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You seem to be upset and irritated by responses to bashing the Volt - then so be it. This is PC, yet you think you won't be called on your statements concerning the Volt? You got to be kidding!

I have a suggestion: you do have a choice - go back to the Volt forums. There you won't be, as you claimed "insulted" and irritated.

You are displaying a unhealthy habit: constant fighting and need to prove you are superior and "above" other posters on this forum.

DBCassidy

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying top 16 vehicles out of 262? Which means that prius should have been shelved long ago under that criteria. Its fine to define it that way, but no one would ever introduce an innovative car if they must meet that standard.

August 2012 YTD - Top 262 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

No Accord, Silverado, escape, or F150? If we are going by volume wouldn' t those be at the top of the class.

18. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it what he wants people to answer so he can "oh no.. you are wrong" and make him feel smarter. You are just playing along.

All he gave was a list of vehicles, with no data or interpretation, did not even say what post the reply to. Maybe its the list of cars he wished he bought instead of a PiP.. or the cars that are owned by his neighbors or maybe the cars he saw on his way to work.

I just looked at it as silly johnFUD.. where by not actually answering in direct manner he provides himself a way to change what he says it means and try to make others look wrong. Of course, such a contextless/pointless post could raise questions about the depth analysis in any of his replies.

Trollbait likes this.
  19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is amusing to observe dbcassidy and john1701a argue against facts. It's similar to the folks that insisted the world was flat. Perhaps they are just stuck in the "ICE age".

drinnovation likes this.
  20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Information presented in fragments, out of context, and not in sequence aren't facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.