1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy stops Volt production (temporarily ...)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Dark_matter_doesn't, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How does that work?

Buying renewable just reduces the carbon and other emissions from electricity the household uses. If they have a plug in, it reduces those emissions for the EV miles.

I've never seen any PHV owner claim buying renewable electric reduced the emissions of their car while burning gasoline. It will do nothing to reduce the emissions of a car without a plug.

If you mean a Prius PHV owner could reduce the emissions of their electric miles, yes they can. With its lower EV range, the reduction of emissions for the car's use will likely be lower than with a car with a longer EV range.

Wasting a lot is a bit of a stretch.

The most efficient BEV is the Honda Fit EV 29kWh/100mi combined. The worst car is the CODA at 46. The iMiEV is 30, Focus EV is 32, Leaf is 34, and Tesla S is 38. The Volt combined efficiency in EV mode is 36kWH/100mi, 35 for the 2013 model. Carrying around a gasoline power train does not appear to be much of a burden to efficiency.

Yes, dropping the gasoline drive would lighten the car and improve its efficiency somewhat. To compete with the other BEVs, more battery would need to be added, and thus the weight lost would be regained.

The Prius PHV uses 29kWh/100mi, if you ignore the 0.2gal of gasoline it burned. Total energy use in EV mode is comparable to the Volt, with 95mpge to 94(98 for 2013). For those willing to buy or even generate renewable electricity, using it to power their car is likely more desirable to using gasoline.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt lease is a excellent mechanism to make the car affordable for a larger group of waiting adopters that otherwise couldn't. As one candidate recently highlighted, some 47% don't have a federal income tax liability. Leasing at $10/day and not buying gasoline makes the Volt a cash flow advantaged vehicle for many more commuters. I only wish Toyotas were available with similarily aggresive lease programs. Trading a gasoline dollar 1:1 for a lease+electric dollar is tremedous, IMO.

austingreen likes this.
  3. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, President Romney will take care of Government Motors and the Volt.

DBCassidy

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you think he is going to do, use the voting shares to close gm and increase unemployment?
    I thought the Romney talk on GM was a gaffe, like the 47%.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, you don't seem to understand how ANYTHING works.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet you are the one who does this best.

drinnovation likes this.
  7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently me as well.

[​IMG]

fotomoto and John Hatchett like this.
  8. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    John,

Sadly that is the only way they know. They choose what only they perceive what is "fact" to broadcast to posters. The fragmentation, nonsequencing of the real facts are indeed not their game.

Their numerous attempts to drag posters down to their level is pathetic, to say the least.

DBCassidy

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    "After Romney replaces Obama this fall, let’s hope he’ll pull the government plug on the Volt and concentrate on making us energy independent."

Just a link to a wack job political OPINION PIECE. Nothing else to see here folks, move on.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What an ugly article. It seems steeped in a nihilism I'd almost understand coming from a college sophomore.

While I'm sympathetic to some of the libertarian leanings, and uncomfortable with the concept of any government actively tracking my every movement, and just as upset about overspending by a company my tax dollars have subsidized, it sickens my heart to read someone who writes
    How many years ago were we reading similar slurs aimed at the Prius?

John Hatchett likes this.
  12. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

And even sadder to see the son (adopted if I recall) of a popular president that just does not understand the issues, yet trading on his family name to get attention with such diatribe.

John Hatchett likes this.
  13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what is more depressing for dbcassidy and john1701a, that the Volt isn't badged by Toyota, or that it is built in the US.

Btw, Toyota does badge a Tesla drive train, the RAV 4EV, built in the US.

austingreen likes this.
  14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If ya'll wanna mix politics with this a little more, feel free to do so in Fred's house of politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.