1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Volt catches on fire.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Zanrok, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It must burn pretty deep.

3. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is unfortunate that you have to dig in to the article to figure out it happened 3 weeks after the collision. There are quite a number of things to worry about when driving cars like this, and the Volt also adds gasoline to that equation. People have been so desensitized it seems that they do not think of the dangers of doing their everyday business, and expect everything to be 100% safe.. You have to worry about possible electrocutions, fires, leaking electrolytes, and possibly high voltage igniting the gasoline vapors in an accident if it is severe enough.

In the broader public sense I think this will indeed be a black eye on EV's. Personally I think you have more chances of dying in a SUV rollover crash than from your EV bursting into flames. Granted there are a lot more SUV's on the road than EV's so I guess time will tell with that one. I still wonder about that one garage fire though where it burned down with the Volt, and that home made Suzuki EV... I know my charger for our Volt gets pretty hot at the plug end, and I try to be mindful of the wiring. I actually am going to put in a call to GM about it as I think it is a possible hazard. Especially since it gets hot enough to melt my Kill-A-Watt EZ meter. I simply changed the charge amperage from 12amp to 8, and have not had anymore problems out of it. I really suspect that charger is the reason that guys garage burned down though. Possibly due to it drawing to much current for to long, and melting the jacketing on the wiring.

4. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have some great points Roadburner.

I think the main issue with EV's is that since it is a technology that has not been tested throughly through "everyday" use. There will be issues found and fixed as it is improved. No car is perfectly safe, nor will they ever be. There is always the possibility for human error, whether driving or constructing.

Will GM have to work harder to earn the trust of people... over say Toyota? You bet. But again no ones perfect, they will find it and most likely fix it.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota has said they don't want to be the first but the best. Having the prototypes on the road for two years has proven to be the right strategy.

What would happen to a Volt in a less severe accident? Would GM replace the entire battery pack?

No wonder they were limiting the production very low. They must've known about it back in May.

6. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    How will the production PiP address the concerns you are expressing here? The PiP battery pack is presumably more prone to damage in a rear collision whereas the Volt battery is centrally located. The NCA cathodes being used in the PiP batteries are at least, if not more, prone to thermal runaway problems than the Manganese Spinel with NMC cathodes used in the Volt.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    True. They catch fire while the occupants are still inside.

1 person likes this.
  8. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose a few million Toyota recalls is part of that "nobody's perfect"

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably already stated, but primetime TV news reported this yesterday. Ouch!!!!!

Hey, I'm still going to test drive the Leaf at the SF auto show next weekend. :D:D

Any other PCers going to be there? I'll be there at 10am, Nov 19th, the first group for test drives. Give a shout out!

11. bluelight_tj

bluelight_tj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Normal procedures would have pulled the battery before storage. They also repeated the test several times with no issues at all. So nothing to see here keep moving.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The fact that they were not able to reproduce it, is an issue. Was it due to manufacturing defect or something else? It is a concern because it may happen while parked at any time.

If it is due to the damage from the crash, it is easier to address because it is reproducable. As of now, they are not sure of the cause.

This plus the potential charger starting fire is still under investigation. I wish they tested with prototypes for at least a year before releasing it to the public.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Or let the public test them for two years?

;)

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll be at the SF Auto Show but I'll probably be going sometime between the 21 and 23rd, to avoid the crowds. As for Leaf test drives, I've test driven them before but might sign up and sign up again for the San Jose ones. I don't think test drives around Moscone will be that great from what I recall about the roads around there, unless you get to take it on the freeway.

I'm going to start another thread for a mini-meet at the SF Auto Show and the 2 Leaf drive events.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What . . .you think maybe some GM hate'n - disgruntled ex-EV1 leasee's got together and planted a white phospherous granade deep within the core of the Volt battery - 3 weeks after the crash test? Oh yea ... everyone loves a good conspiracy.
    ;)

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For now I'm left thinking that wrecked cars are vulnerable to electric shorts, and it is a VERY good idea to at least disconnect if not remove the batteries -- both 12v and traction. It it turns out that the battery itself short-circuited and caught fire then GM has a problem.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That report suggests that even if the battery had been removed from the car, it still might have caught fire later if fluid at seeped in to the battery case prior to removal.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That report suggests that even if the battery had been removed from the car, it still might have caught fire later had fluid seeped in to the battery case prior to removal.

GM's stance that the energy in the battery should have been removed sounds like garbage to me. First of all, the normal electronics will leave about 5.4 kwh in the case after 'complete' discharge. Second, what of cars put back in service after accidents ? Or sent to regular junkyards ?

I'd like to hear from EEs whether batteries can be designed to handle internal shorts without catching fire or exploding.[​IMG]

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In the report mentioned above, GM first says procedure not followed, but at the end they say a 'de-energizer' device will be available in 2012. No doubt next time GM will fault whoever did not buy the device. ;) ;)

Typical GM. What a POS company.