1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Volt catches on fire.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Zanrok, Nov 11, 2011.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Source

Yea, they knew about it 6 months ago so it is not quick. It bothers me that they continued to sell knowing this safety defect. We now know why the production was so limited. They want to reduce the repair cost.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    More interesting information:

Source

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Now if they did not put a stupid ICE in the car, the car would not have the problem. :D

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

...I think they said if you have an accident, ET phones home and the Men in Black show up to drain the battery....gotta luv it.

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

You sure it is not the FBI coming to install a GPS tracker. Then drain the battery. It is Government Motors after all.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The tracker is installed at the factory as part of on star. I believe you can turn it off, but never owning a gm, I don't know. Apple did track all of us with iphones, and people track themselves with facebook and 4 square check ins.

7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Not talking about OnStar. Talking about FBI thinking they have the rights to put GPS trackers under cars without needing a warrant.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    if it really is government motors and your conspiracy theory is correct, why would not the fbi just use the tracker gm already puts in the car:mad: That way they could get a blanket approval instead of individual warrents. :eek:

I'm not saying the government isn't tracking you, I'm saying they are not adding new chips. We know they track phones, they could be tracking cars, and if you buy lojack you don't even know where the thing is hidden.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even more being investigated.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wants to know whether there are any visible weld changes at key points on the underside of the vehicle made by General Motors near the battery pack, according to an investigative memo that was publicly disclosed.

Investigators plan to analyze photographs of the floor pan and cross member structural support at the site where the 400-pound lithium-ion battery was damaged in a rigorous side crash test last May.

NHTSA has given the Volt a top "five-star" safety rating, but notes that it is the subject of an ongoing investigation on its consumer website.​

Source

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

for actually smaller delay (what it will end up at least), Toyota was painted as killer company by world media only year ago :).

Same NTHSA was on Toyota for not "disclosing" their European findings in US for 6 months, when they themselves didnt disclose Volt fires (let alone GM), for 6 months either.

11. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well.. From everything I have read it does not seem to be an immediate safety issue. Granted I would have liked to have known about it sure, but I do not feel GM put mine or my families life in jeopardy. It looks to me like it should be a fairly simple fix, and that I will be without my car (and most likely stuck with a Tahoe or something) for a few days... Analyzing the weld patterns underneath the cars for differences is an interesting point. Maybe they cut the tunnel piece or something differently between different builds of the vehicle? I am going to give it another week or so, and most likely I will be calling the Volt Advisors to see where exactly in this process GM is. As I need to know at least with a little warning when I will have to be without my car if that is the case.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get what the big deal is - they crash a car, wait for like 2 weeks, and then it catches on fire. Who the hell sits in their car for 2 weeks after getting into a crash?

1 person likes this.
  13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They did additional tests. One started sparks and smoke after the hours. Another one burned down after a week.

The real issue is protection of the battery pack. Coolant can easily leak. Electronics inside thebattery are not protected. Once the coolant dries up, crystals will short circuit.

What if the coolant leaks due to a defect or a minor accident. You are skating on a thin ice.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What if the gas tank develops a leak? We are (nearly) all driving around with one skimming along less than a foot from the pavement. There may not even be a deflective shield between it and the road. Then there is the fuel lines with all its connections. What if one wasn't sitted just right?

Some people once refused to use seatbelts because of the slight risk of fire. They'd rather be thrown free. Should we suggest that Volt owners not wear their belts.

There is risk there, but how many experts and tests did it take to repeat the problem? Even then is only a risk to occupants that just trapped in the car for an extended period, possibly weeks, of time. The delay is bad PR, but it doesn't appear to be any immediate risk, and it doesn't sound like they ignored it.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...spontaneous combustion is never a good thing, implies potential for costly property losses

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I saw this on line . . . and being weak, I couldn't resist:

[​IMG]

c'mon now - you gotta admit the funny
    :p

3 people like this.
  17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have a strong sense of humor.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Its plug in and that threatens people. They will go to extremes to make up sh*t that makes new tech look worse.

+1
    Burn Prevention
    The volt does still have a gas tank, so me do not know how much less of a risk of fire it has than the average car on the road.

GM does need to get better procedures out there, but I doubt that anyone will be entrapped in a volt for weaks after a roll over hitting a pole or tree waiting for that fire to kill them.

It seems because of the fear, and the botched toyota problems with pedal entrapment, gm is trying to take a page out of Lexus/Mercedes handbook of PR in the face of a safety investigation. They are going to try to replace anything that might have a tiny chance to make a plug in worse. That may include adding lamination to electronics (shocked that this was not done), making the coolant less likely to leak in a crash, and making the structure holding the batteries less likely to allow intrusions. All of these things should be relatively inexpensive, if they were expensive there may be more push back from gm.

19. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That photo is pretty funny.. I like the ones with the Volt, fire in the back round, and bubble above it that says "Wasn't Me!" Those always make me chuckle.

Volt may have a gas tank. I only personally carry about 3-4 gallons in it at any given time though, and I think most Volt drivers do the same unless they consistently use gasoline. For me it is mainly an emergency measure.

Personally I do not want to turn my car in to GM for them to laminate circuitry, re-inforce the pack, or any other stupid measure that really will not do anything to prevent the same thing from re-occuring. Not to mention making the pack heavier. Also if they re-inforce the case it will just snap in half instead of puncturing. It is always good to have some give in a surface than make it stiffer.

1 person likes this.
  20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heh, regarding the comic... even though it's not correct, some people have referred to the Volt as the "Obama car". They figure, since there's ObamaCare, why not Obama car? :p