1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Volt goes upscale in new electric Cadillac

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Silver bullit, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    an introduction of another upscale guzzler from the same bailed out manufacturer

3. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It has almost identical stats to the Volt, how is this 'another upscale guzzler'?

I applaud anyone who tries to bring more PEV/PHEV's to the market, competition is good for everyone.

John Hatchett and southernguy like this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Remember the "too little, too slowly" concern? It's the same problem as in the past. How have things changed? Money from bailouts & tax-credits is suppose to accelerate progress. Upscale alone doesn't provide any sense of that.

Rather than getting something for the masses, or even an upgrade to the system itself, we get another trophy vehicle. What's the point of offering a nice vehicle very few people will actually buy? It's not even a midsize.

If we also got something that was competitive with offerings coming from other automakers, that would be a different story. But the deafening silence about plans with Volt is reason for concern. More is expected. Faster is expected.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They openly said it is a 4,070 lbs show car. Using electricity to inflate the MPG to showcase the 37 MPG gas engine underneath. Some will bite. Some will see it through. The real question is how efficient is it in the breakdown of both EV and gas mile, compared to other PHEVs or BEVs.

Where is the affordable, practical and efficient midsize car? With or without a plug.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Thank you moderators for cleaning up some residual garbage.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also having an upscale vehicle is fine, but we really do need a genuine competing car... something that gets hybrid MPG after depletion, is large enough to be practical for a family, and is reasonably priced.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you read Bloomberg this is the lower volume version. It may allow gm to down scale some of the expensive interior in the next version of the volt and bring down costs. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though. How is the new Lexus GSh competing with the prius? Its a strange comment.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Competition means other automakers. Upscale vehicle means other models. They are mutually exclusive. I didn't realize clarification was necessary. Sorry about that... though GM does actually compete with itself at times.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this beast competes with things like the Lexus GSh, BMW ActiveHybrid3, etc. All of these things are in rarified air and low volume. They mainly compete for mind space for the manufacturers to say look we have this cool car, and since caddi is the flag ship brand for gm, it wanted voltec in that market. I don't think it operates as well as a halo as the volt though. GM introduced 2 low volume cars at the show this year, the new vette and this new ELR.

Now do you know how many Toyota cars don't compete either, or do you need new clarification. I know you like to post the same negative comments on anything having to do with voltec, but please think about the vehicle you are commenting on. How does the ELR compete makes no sense without out context, and I still don't know what you want it to mean and still have it make sense.
    Cadillac Shows ELR With Powertrain Beloved by Volt Owners - Bloomberg

Cadillac has an image problem, I don't know if this will help, but it definitely is not about volume sales.