1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicagoland engine block heater install event

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by FireEngineer, Sep 17, 2009.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was a great meet and everyone left a bit warmer, at least their cars did since the temps were a bit nippy. Final tally was 2 Gen I, 3 Gen II and 6 Gen III. And thanks to our very gracious host Alex for the use of his house and delicious grilled goodies.

P1000870.JPG
    They were coming all the time.

P1000872.JPG
    Three Generations.

P1000873.JPG
    You can get good MPG's in the cold on the highway.

Wayne

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A grand time was had by all. thanks to Alex for the use of his house and a huge thanks to Wayne our beloved Prius pal.

3. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I didn't go, since I made another long trip this week. Instead, I let Wayne come here and practice on my car last weekend :D. Thank you so much, Wayne!

Due to the travel, I haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

4. drmalone

drmalone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I, too, want to extend my sincere thanks to Alex and Wayne! I not only was fortunate enough to have a true expert install my block heater (Wayne of course), but also had the chance to meet some great people and enjoy some fantastic food (thanks Alex). It made my trip from Michigan worthwhile. By the way, the directions were a big help as well. If you ever get a chance to attend an event like this, don't pass it up!

Dan

5. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wayne came here to OKC and made a stop on his long trip around the country and was kind enough to install a EBH in my 2007.

Now Wayne if you happen to come back this way, I have one for my 2010, or if you get some where close I will meet you.

Jim

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Six* third-gens?? Wow. Have you found any good shortcuts since
    our Hybridfest experimentation?
    _H*

7. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found some new places to bleed from!!

All of them are bottom heater installs as I don't like to take apart anything that doesn't have to be. I learned that only one ramp on the passengers side is necessary, though not the most comfortable if you've recently eaten.

And that one wire retention piece still gives me fits, but now I know why. It seems that the two wire looms that are in front of the block heater hole are a little different on each car. Some are put together exactly vertical, some are offset from vertical a bit, some are even horizontal as I found in Madison at Hybridfest. If they are not perfectly vertical, when the block heater cord head is plugged in, the looms rests against the plug head. Makes for a secure cord fitting but it also shifts the retainer a bit when trying to rebolt it to the transaxle. That makes it hard to line up the retainer hole with it's companion retention hole on the transaxle assembly while sticking your hand through all those nice big orange cables. If not for this obsticle, I believe the Gen III might be easier than a Gen II with practice. Suffice it to say, I left a lot of DNA on some Gen III's.

Wayne

8. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could smell some flesh and blood burning off my engine on the way home;)

A big thanks to Wayne for the install. It was nice meeting and chatting with all.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like it was another great event. Sorry I missed it, though the rest of you should be happy I stayed away -- I was sick enough to go BACK to see a doctor on Friday, and Saturday was no improvement.

I'm still hoping to entice Wayne back to our house for an install on my 2010. Now that he's learned on 10 other folks' cars, perhaps he has no more DNA to donate to my 1.8?

It is SO HARD to get Wayne interested in doing something like this. I remember there was something really important I had to say . . . some special phrase . . . like magic words . . .

Please?

10. nhougham6562

nhougham6562 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry to have missed this. I just got my Prius this summer and am really interested in the engine block heater. I don't suppose anyone else is going to do this before winter?

11. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Where do you live.

12. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same question here, where do you live? Within a large radius of Chicago I'll come install one if you have one.

Wayne

13. bluesrt1980

bluesrt1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yeah I'm in the same situation. I missed the block heater event, and would love to install on before winter. I have the part in hand, and live in the joliet, IL area.

thanks,

14. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If ya'll ever plan on coming to the Raleigh area, let me know :)

15. nhougham6562

nhougham6562 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Sandwich, IL. It's southwest of Aurora.

16. nhougham6562

nhougham6562 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to be so lame at this, haven't quite got the hang of this thread thing yet. Wayne, I'd love to accept your help but I still need to get the part. I saw your link about getting that. That would be great if you could install for me.

Will offer dinner with me and my family :)