1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicken dance not workin, options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by metamorphosis, Feb 1, 2021.

1. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My key is mostly fine but won't unlock with the button after unintentional water submersion for more than 2 minutes.

However I can't get the car to go into programming mode for either of the two procedures for the chicken dance. It is a non-SKS black logo key. I ordered a couple of replacements from a reputable-looking dealer on amazon (cost $150 including postage to New Zealand).

I'm wondering if my car (2005 gen 2) might have had too many keys assigned to it in the past - how would I know, and what are my options from this point, if even following the chicken dance with the video timing doesn't work?
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JC91006 likes this.
  3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it apart and clean it. In general if an electronic device has been submerged in water, and it wasn't distilled water, the best thing to do is to remove the battery (if at all possible) and rinse it thoroughly in distilled water, then let it dry thoroughly before adding power back. Otherwise the minerals and/or dirt present in the water will dry on the device and could cause problems like what you are seeing. Of course if a car was driven into a river or pool I am not suggesting dunking it in a big tank of distilled water. This advice is only for small electronic devices, like watches, phones, and key fobs.

4. metamorphosis

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. metamorphosis

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cleaned it out and dried it as best I could (couldn't figure out how to take the casing apart without destroying it) by putting in a hot water cupboard overnight in a closed container full of rice. Took the battery out and replaced it at least. Don't want to mess with it any further until I have a replacement key. Otherwise no drive for me

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, do a search (the feature is still working). Unknown if 'lite' is adequate, but there are plenty of options once you have the cable.