1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Child-Free By Choice

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Sep 19, 2006.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I know the discomfort when you are continually bullied about having kids. My family tells me constantly that they hope I'll slip up one of these days. It bothers me a bit, since that's right up there on my 'biggest fears' list, and I don't think it's very nice to wish my darkest fears upon me =P

I'm sorry that you find that your friends with children always talk about their kids, because at least cursory information is going to be shared - their kids, their job, and their pillows are often the only things they get to deal with. It's not hard to lead the conversation, though - certainly not pulling teeth to say, "Wow, first steps, that's exciting. Have you put him in a backpack and gone hiking yet? When did you last hike, anyway?" Fill in the verbs appropriately with something they like but that you enjoy talking about.

I've met a lot of married childless couples (and singles) through service organizations and clubs - and then you start out with something in common. We haven't had time for comitments like that yet, though, so we still don't know anyone but family in this city. I suppose you ought to take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm sort of socially stunted. Anyway, don't discount having twenty-something friends - we keep you young =) Students and field scientists live sort of a different life, and sometimes its hard to identify anymore, but it's quite a lot of fun to hear about. Oh, I hope you and/or your spouse aren't particularly homophobic, many of the childless couples we are closest to are in same-sex relationships.

An aside - actually, something that drives me *nuts* is when my gay friends, who all are older and loving the 'Dual Income, No Kids' lifestyle, badger us about having kids.

2. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

What I find strange is that whenever my wife and I do something that one finds interesting, he/she will comment "wow, that's great, I always wanted to do that, but you know we have kids...", sounds like some kind of regret, but it is a choice he/she made. So I wonder, did some of these people made a mistake and regret it now but will never admit it? I sure don't regret my choice, and never think "I always wanted to have kids..."

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Sep 19 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]321666[/snapback]</div>
    There are clearly sacrifices that need to be made for anything we do in life. I always wanted to spend a year hiking around Asia....but I have this job. I always wanted to sleep with a different woman every night of the week...but I have this wife. Ok, yea, I'm exagerating a little. But the point is it's not regret, but that doesn't mean there aren't things that are sacrificed for the sake of something greater or more valuable....promiscuity for stability, wanderlust for financial stability, infinite freedom for children.

I'd love to be able to take off and do whatever I want every weekend...but I have to think that I would seriously regret never having children...esp. having them now I can't imagine life without them. I can imagine life without a 3 day weekend in Vegas. I can imagine life without a social event every evening. I'd enjoy those things, but my life is certainly just as rich...and probably much more so...without them in exchange for children.

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know my plumbing works and I assume my wifes plumbing works as well. I'm 47 and she is 38. We have no kids. However she had been a Rotary District Governor and I an Assistant Governor. We have had two businesses of our own. I like to drag race. We have a small house on a little penninsula in a great neighborhood.

We have discussed adopting someday but no biological clock type stuff. Perhaps a slightly older child who would not otherwise have a chance to have a family.

My brother was adopted.

There are enough unwanted kids in this world and enough people who would rather pay day care, the cable tv companies, and internet access providers to raise them as opposed to being actual parents. Perhaps if it isn;t too late in a couple of years we will make the choice to raise a child. In the meantime we have having way too much fun and honeymoon type sex to have kids right now. if that is selfish then so be it. At least we are not contributing to the overwhelming tax burden in our community by having children, although sometimes I feel like we are subsidizing the education of our neighbors children. ;)

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 19 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]321559[/snapback]</div>
    We chose not to have children do to age and money, ;) we have more money, more quality time we can spend together & we have the option of picking up and going out of town with out having to find a sitter or dragging a child around..... We have dogs that we drop off at the kennel on the way out.. No thinking of future college tuition, clothes, toys, no additional medical / insurance coverages or having to buy them a car. This is a big savings in dough $$$$ :D

When we die, we have willed the niece & nephew our property.. All bases are covered..

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 19 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]321688[/snapback]</div>
    And I have a 6-year old daughter who comes tearing through the house squealing "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!!!!" and gives me a great big hug when I come home from work. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

7. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]321676[/snapback]</div>
    fair enough
    but
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]321676[/snapback]</div>
    having met my wife, I can't imagine my life without her, but I can't say that if I haven't met her I would not have a happy life. I just don't know how it would be since I do know her now, just like you can't say how it would be for you if didn't have your kids. Obviously, they are here now and you love them, just like I have something I have a deep feeling for and that makes me feel extremely good and I wouldn't want to change it.
    The point is, we are all different and different things make us happy. Once you try to convince me that your life is better because you have kids and I don't, that's when I think you have a problem (this is not to you Evan, just in general).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 19 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]321711[/snapback]</div>
    I know the feeling. I have a 14 year old kitty who runs to me meowing every time I enter the house and jumps on my lap when he gets a chance. I wouldn't give that up for anything either.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't we just trade back when the kids have left home? :)

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Sep 19 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]321721[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you clarified that b/c I certainly was not trying to convince anyone that their life would be better with kids, would never be that presumptuous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Sep 19 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]321721[/snapback]</div>
    No offense, but having had a cat, a few dogs, and now 3 kids, you don't know the feeling. It's an amazing thing that I could spend countless paragraphs describing and making your nauseaus about the incredible things my kids say and do that never ceases to amaze me. I get joy from my animals as well, but to see the growth, change, creativity, purity, imagination and total faith of the child's mind as it grows and knowing that you take a small part in how those changes are coming about is just a feeling no animal could ever replace or compare to.

10. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]321738[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. My first wife had two kids from her previous marriage. However, to people who have never had kids their pets sometimes fill that role. I have no natural children, but with stepkids, nephews, and nieces, I understand what it is all about and that nothing else is the same, but I cannot place a value judgement upon the feelings as people who have never had children cannot compare. Our perceptions are only our own.

11. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]321738[/snapback]</div>
    you don't know how I feel about my cat, and the fact that you have one does not mean that my feeling towards my cat is the same as the feeling you have for your cat in comparison to your kids. You simply don't know and never will.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's a shame I got here so late in the game.

We have a cat. We don't have kids.
    Will that change some day? Sure!
    We might get two cats.

I have a degree in Education. I worked with elementary children for six years. I love kids and am fascinated by them. I fully enjoy spending time with my neices and nephews as well as the children of friends. But my wife and I will not have children.

I have several replies for inquiries:
    "I can't have children. Are you familiar with Melissa's Law?"
    "Actually we have three children but we're not really sure where they are these days."
    "I traded my son to the Devil for these good looks."

But seriously - as others have pointed out above - let's say that by not having children I'm being selfish. Does my having children to please society make me less selfish? Really? Besides, my wife and I go out of our ways to conserve and recycle. Some people place literally tons of disposable diapers in landfills.

Like someone said, we will our stuff to our parents if they outlive us. That way, when they die the combined inheretence will go to our surviving siblings and their children.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Sep 19 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]321744[/snapback]</div>
    I did not mean to insult or minimize your love for your cat. But it's not a human being and I can't accept you could consider those relationships equivalent.

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Sep 19 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]321656[/snapback]</div>
    We were lucky in this regard. Not long after we were married my mom asked if we were planning and we said we weren't ready yet. My dad took the opposite position saying, "Don't rush on my account". :) There were always subtle hints from my in-laws, but we never got the full-court press. For all their faults, our families haven't given us any grief over our decision. I even consulted with my dad before my vasectomy, since he's had one and could tell me what to expect.

We've tried bringing conversations around to what our friends like to do, but it never lasts long. It's natural for parents to want to talk about their children ... especially when they're very young and everything is a "first". But there are extremes. One time we visited friends of mine from college and they loudly and emphatically praised their daughter (who was about 9 months old) for a burp.

One of the reasons we're considering joining a No Kidding chapter is so we can meet others who've made the same choice as us. And we're more than willing to have a 20-something couple help us stay young. :)

15. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

My brother and his family live in the same house as my wife and I do. He has a 10 year old son. I spent 10 years watching this child grow, change, be creative, and all other things you have mentioned. I take care of him together with his parents and we do family things together. I can still have children (heck I can adopt a child any time), but I can even have biological children with my wife, but this is not what we want. And again, I love my cat the way you will never understand.
    You could never make me nauseous about the things your kids say and do as that just doesn't amuse me. I am different than you and that's all. What nauseates you doesn't nauseate me. It's that simple.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]321789[/snapback]</div>
    can you prove that the love one might have for an animal can not be the same or equal as the one for a human being?

16. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 19 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]321688[/snapback]</div>
    The money and the quality time were certainly big things when we were making our decision. We relish being able to spend quiet evenings together just reading or (on Tuesdays) watching House. The biggest long-term financial concern we have is accumulating enough to be able to live comfortably in 30 years when we retire.

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 19 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]321779[/snapback]</div>
    But fashionably so. :p
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 19 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]321779[/snapback]</div>
    This sound very much like my wife. She works with pre-K children (mostly 3 & 4) and loves it. She's a huge advocate for children, but she has no desire to be a mother.
    According to ChildFree.net, two psychologists interviewed couples for their reasons for having or not having children. The results (along with ChildFree's reaction) can be found here: http://www.childfree.net/potpourri_selfish.html. I don't necessarily agree with their contention, but if you look at the results as just results, the reasons given to be a parent can be construed as "selfish" reasons.

18. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I was married I got incredibly tired of potty training being the main topic of conversation at every social event. We have a very active No Kidding! chapter in Charlotte and we never discuss potty training at our gatherings. :D

The ex and I agreed when we first started dating that kids weren't in our future. Then his biological clock started ticking and he and his parents tried every possible tactic to pressure me in to having kids. When he realized it wasn't working, end of marriage. Guess I should have specified sickness and health, richer and poorer, kids or no kids.

19. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

It does bother me when people with children start talking about how their great love for them is something that no childless person could ever understand...and that no animal or other human relationship could be a comparison for that... (The people who say, "I used to think like you. I had dogs, and really thought I loved them, but when my child came along, I felt something I never could have imagined, blah blah blah...")

I could counter with...I have such a deep respect and profound love for animals such that I became vegan and no longer am directly, purposefully responsible for their horrible lives and deaths in the food industry. Those who are meat-eaters can never understand the depth of feeling I have for other creatures. Because *of course* meat-eaters could never feel that attached to their dogs or cats - they eat other animals who in terms of sentience are just like them... Perhaps my more universal love and care is more profound than just loving something that came out of one's crotch...

Of course I *wouldn't* make this argument, because I'm not about to tell people how they feel/don't feel, and that they just don't understand what real love is...but it's equally as fair for me to make that argument as it is for people with children to go on about how childless people just can't understand what it's like to love and care for a creature as they do...

20. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 19 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]321608[/snapback]</div>
    I definitely didn't want kids - I had role models, but AWFUL ones - my mother was abusive (physically and verbally) and so was her mother; my father had his own store and he 'escaped' by working very long house (typical day started before 9 am and ended after 11 pm). AND I come from an eastern European heritage that is 'stoic' - you NEVER express emotions. One of my cousins jumped from the 97th floor of a tall building in Chicago, and I immediately decided to go to Chicago for the wake/funeral. My sister-in-law told me she thought we'd be intruding if we went over to Aunt Rita and Uncle Pete's house that night, but I insisted - she later told me she understood, because I was the only person who actually hugged my Aunt Rita while my Uncle Pete told her to 'control herself'. Also, I didn't even date, because it was still the 'early years' for professional women in the workplace - my career was very important to me.

I loved my friends' kids, especially Lisa's sons Adam and Jeff. She was an alcoholic and asked me to promise I'd take care of them if anything every happened to her. She's been institutionalized since 1982, when Jeff was 4 and Adam was 11, from a cerebral hemorhage <sp> from drinking and drugs. That was 1982. I was 'instant Mom' (I took about 3 hours off work the morning after I brought them home so I could get them registered in their schools), and a single Mom to boot. I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!

I made lots of mistakes, but I think I did a decent job - my 'baby' just turned 29 and my older son and his wife have 2 boys, almost-2 and almost-5.

So, Galaxee, you WILL do a fine job raising kids. ALL of us parents make lots of mistakes, regardless of how good or bad our role models were - just observe the other parents around you and start noting what you think they're doing well and what they're doing poorly, so you can be more aware of your own behavior with your children and notice when you're going off course and make corrections.

And, Proco, I admire you and your wife for making your decision to remain childless - I've seen too many people who either had kids because 'everybody does it' or they got pressure from relatives (or, even worse, so they can have somebody who will love them unconditionally), and they really hadn't thought what it would mean to their lives - their lack of introspection before the birth of their kids often continues the rest of their lives. They 'have' kids - they don't raise them or parent them or think about setting standards, etc.

so, I'll descend from my soapbox - good thread!