1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Child-Free By Choice

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Sep 19 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]321682[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for considering adoption - there aren't enough 'good parents' to go around, and the kids up for adoption are probably more in need of 'good parents' than any of the kids who are already in a family that includes one or more parents.

Personally, I can tell you there's one big advantage of having an older kid - no diapers, toilet training, etc! My youngest was 5 and my older son was 12 when I became 'Mom' - lots easier on a working parent than infants and toddlers!

2. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Sep 19 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]321795[/snapback]</div>
    No - I think people who've posted about loving pets vs loving children are actually talking about the difference in the EXPERIENCE of having one, the other or both. The amount of time requiring 24/7 care diminishes much sooner with a pet like a cat or dog compared to having a human <g>

One other aspect of the experience of being a parent vs being a pet owner is that the 'end goal' of being a parent is to raise a child to be a self-sufficient adult (barring physical problems, etc.) and have the 'child' leave the nest, and changing the relationship to one of adult/adult who happen to have a history of being parent/child. I doubt that having the pet 'leave the nest' is a common goal for pet owners!

3. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 19 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]321869[/snapback]</div>
    I understand the love of and for a cat...my cat lights up and is glad to see me when I walk in the door. he loves me undconditionally (unless I forget to feed him :rolleyes: )My child glowers at me and radiates hate because she cannot understand that I set boundries in her best interest. She has the desire to be a "normal" 16 year old but is trapped in the emotional and mental maturity of an 8 year old.

4. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 19 2006, 05:48 PM) [snapback]321890[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Adolesence isn't fun for the parent OR the child! But it doesn't last forever!

5. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 19 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]321811[/snapback]</div>
    Of couse they neglected to mention one obvious reason people have kids...

Someone screwed up or didn't use birth control.

6. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Sep 19 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]321897[/snapback]</div>
    (or had am unplanned birth control failure)

That's probably NOT what many people would say in response to a question from a psychologist! Of all the couples I've known, there's only one that I met after they had a child who candidly said that they 'had' to get married. I'd be willing to bet that many people who didn't 'plan' to have children will now say that it ws planned!

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We chose 19 years ago to have one child (below replacement number), a chosen (not an "only") child. Our son just turned 18 and is starting university.

We made a long-term socially and environmentally responsible decision (vs. impulse). With over 6.5 billion humans, our species is overwhelming world ecosystems and making them increasingly nonsustainable.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 19 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]321803[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, we are the same way. It's funny We watch house, lost, ghost whisperer, dead like me, ect.
    But both of us read Thursday after 830.. We too are looking at retirement in 20-30 yrs. As was said in another reply My wifes an elementry teacher and enjoys kids all day long but she gets to retreat at the end of the day to a quiet home..I cant spell if my life depended on it :rolleyes: I have nephews & a niece that I have had the pleasure of being a part of them growing up. I have friends that have really good jobs and have kids & they are making it. The money gets tight then it frees up a little. up/down up/down.. We on the otherhand have weiner dogs :lol: they are great they snuggle and dont talk back and give unconditional love.. ;) and we again have the freedom to pick up and go away for the weekend if we wanted to. ;)

I think that other people having children is a wonderful thing. Except when they (parents) rely on the school system or law enforcement to raise thier kids for them because the kids wont listen or do what they want.. :angry:

To each their own, No kids :) , or having kids :) ..

We discussed it and decided "its just not our bag baby". :rolleyes:

9. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Man! I sign off for one night then engage in some spirited political discussion elsewhere in FHOP and come home to quite a lively discussion in my own backyard. :eek: Let's do a little housecleaning, shall we?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMonster @ Sep 19 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]321833[/snapback]</div>
    This is exactly one of the reasons we've contacted our local chapter of No Kidding!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMonster @ Sep 19 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]321833[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry you had to go through that and your marriage didn't work out, but I'm glad you stuck to your guns. If you had given in to the pressure your marriage would have been worse & the child would have suffered. I had some of the same thoughts before we made the final decision. I was always the one who definitely didn't want any. My wife fell into the "not right now, but let's not do anything drastic in case we change our minds" camp. I'm glad I didn't have to go through what you went through. It's really disrepectful to try to pressure somone to do something they don't want to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 19 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]321853[/snapback]</div>
    Jeannie, having met you, I think I can say I'm sure you did a fine job. And under ridiculously tough circumstances, too. I admire you for what you've done. Especially being willing to go against the "family thinking" at that wake. I'm sure your Aunt Rita appreciated it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 19 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]321967[/snapback]</div>
    This is one of the biggest benefits for us. If it's a beautiful evening, I can go home and say "let's have dinner on the beach" and we just pack up the picnic basket and go. In June we took a trip to Orlando for a long weekend with nothing but carry-on luggage. We loved that all we needed were 2 duffle bags. :D
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 19 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]321967[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I am so with you on this one. There are lots of good parents out there, but there's also a lot that don't
    *edited to add a word

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Sep 19 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]321941[/snapback]</div>
    That's the decision we've made as well. I like your use of the word "chosen" child, mind if I use it? If we should feel the need to further expand our family, we will definitely adopt as there are so many children out there without families to love and nurture them. I will never be pregnant again, and I'll take that promise to my grave.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Proco~

Exactly, We have jumped into the prius and puttered up to St. Augustine for the weekend, Its really nice.

However, we have also gone to WDW and saw the irritated parents pushing the 6 months - 4 yr olds around not looking very happy as the child is screaming its head off.... :huh:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Sep 19 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]321897[/snapback]</div>
    in our case it was failed birth control.

13. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 20 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]322542[/snapback]</div>
    We've been to WDW a number of times and enjoyed ourselves knowing we could do the things we wanted to and wouldn't have to spend the whole day at "Ariel's Grotto" or something like that. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Sep 19 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]321897[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    Naturally there's a percentage that fall into the "Whoops!" category (whatever the reason). But I think the original question from the psychologists was about why people choose to have children.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 22 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]323439[/snapback]</div>
    Oh man, how my wife hates WDW. Too many children.

But I'm with you in thought. We hit the malls on weekends with no more forethought than checking the cat food and "does this shirt go with these pants."

But I think there's a happy medium in there somewhere. Parents need to understand that we don't want to hear about their children all the time. Likewise, parents don't want to constantly hear that we don't want children. There are other topics to talk about. Either find them or stop hanging around with each other.

15. jared2

jared2 New Member

Been there, done that. See thread "Are kids worth having"

The strongest argument in favour of not having kids is you will never have to go to Disneyland.

16. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Sep 22 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]323470[/snapback]</div>
    I never looked at it as a question of are they worth having. If you have children or want them, then they're more than worth their weight in gold. I have no problem with anyone who has (or wants) children.

When I made my original post I was looking to connect with others who've made the same choice my wife & I made.

But, as things seem to do here at Fred's, it kinda took on a life of its own. :)

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 22 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]323480[/snapback]</div>
    Strange. I don't see the difference between "are kids worth having" and "should we be child-free". It is exactly the same idea in my opinion.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 22 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]323451[/snapback]</div>
    Oh Tony you hit another point...

I used to work part time for a mall in the security dept (private) not contract. Every Friday & Saturday nite You could set your watch at 5:00pm the parents would show up and drop thier kids offfor us to monitor. The kids would hang out, go to a movie, shop lift or wander the common areas or have sex in the service corridors & the back stair wells of the movie theaters. We called the wanderers (Mall Rats), the parents sometimes would get charged with child abandonment (if caught) when we found a child 5yrs old that came with their 9 yr old brother or sister to watch them so mommy & daddy could have time to themselves... :angry:

The Mall is not a daycare or a kiddie hangout spot, its a business that there to make money.... ;)

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My wife has a bad back so a pregnancy wouldn't have been good for her.

No kids, but a lot of cats. One is a diabetic and requires 2 insulin shots a day. Unless she comes with us, the only trips we can do are one day (ie no overnight).

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I really like kids, I just don't want one of my own 24/7.