1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chilly Bay Area nights and an engine rattle at starts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Rxgolfer, Feb 21, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you should throw any more money at this if you already have a bad head gasket it wouldn't really matter what amount of cleaning you doing now

I would probably test for a bad head gasket before I continue with anything else

Grit and m.wynn like this.
  2. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a way to check if head gasket is bad?

3. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prime Photos

Photos I’ve managed to upload to amazon. This is so stressful, 0 problems with the Prius before this and the worst part is I travel for work.

#43 Rxgolfer, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your mechanic should be able to do a test for bad gasket. Based on your misfire codes and your coolant being halfway down from full it may seem to indicate the head gasket might be bad.

There are products in the marketplace that you can put in your oil to stop the head gasket leak and for prolong use of your car. But you have to identify the problem before you can give it any medicine

m.wynn likes this.
  5. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He’s telling me there’s no engine or gasket problem it’s due to a defective EGR because he found water in there. Or can there be another explanation? I feel like he’s not listening to me at this point and I’m being held hostage with my car being half done.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well let him know if there's a bad head gasket later, he can fix it for free

Mechanics also don't like people telling them what to do if they are the professionals

7. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I trust him but I don’t t
    I trust him, but It’s also the first time he’s dealt with this issue before. He took me out to lunch for free because we hit it off talking about other stuff. Ughh

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe others can reply on this thread to give their opinion on whether your mechanic can fix your problem

If I were the mechanic I would hate for someone to tell me how to do my job

m.wynn likes this.
  9. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    honestly it I called him again because the CEL came back on. He said to bring it in. I suggested to him and it might be the manifold and EGR being clogged. He took a look and he was like damn bro you’re right! So he was going to clean the entire system. Then half way through his tells me to take a look at my car and he’s like look there’s water in your EGR. I think you should replace it. I called the dealership and they said they’ve replaced 5000 of these. And I’m thinking in my head whoa whoa whoa. I just came here to have my intakes cleaned and I’m not sure a egr replacement will do anything.

He states if there is a gasket issue the misfires would happen in the same cylinders. And other things I dont remember. My job is 100% travel by car and I’m leaving Sunday. So I’m pretty stressed

10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No, I'm saying that with a car that old and worth so little, you are basically playing with house money. Every month that it continues to move (and that could be years) is a car payment that remains in your pocket!

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  11. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I guess I'm just a light sleeper. :)

Potential buyer: "So what's wrong with it?"
    Your response is.......???

Sure, you could just lie or decline to respond, but the way I look at things, that's a human being on the other side of the transaction who is working hard for their money, same as me. No way I'm gonna stick them with a car with three tires in the grave.

Now if you wanna sell it to CarMax, then all bets are off!!

Raytheeagle and macmaster05 like this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The response is "it has 200k miles and now has a misfire". Many DIYers or even dealers won't think there's anything wrong with a Prius at 200k miles, just some minor issues. So you can let them figure it out. Honesty is not bad on a car with 200k miles, no matter how you sugar coat it, it won't get much more money.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I’m going to ride it till it does. Hopefully after this, it will go to 300k miles and by that time a Tesla model Y will come out which is the car I’m waiting for.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    labor rates when you help out

Attached Files:

padroo, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Monitor the levels and see if there is loss of coolant.

Bring it by the Lafayette meetup next weekend and we’ll take a look;).

If you really need a look this weekend, I’m in Fairfield but that may take some convincing of my wife:whistle:.

But willing to help(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another option also is to hit up @leeb18c as he has done the head gasket swap with the engine still In The car;).

Winston is the man(y).

Rxgolfer and m.wynn like this.
  17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Engine got the rattles this week also. Temps finally dipped to lower 20s here and got grill blocking done. Engine rattles for about 1 second on initial cold soak start up with hood open and eye on engine. Fun stuff.

Rxgolfer likes this.
  18. Rxgolfer

Rxgolfer Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your genorosity! Well I am heading to Sac after Saturday’s warrior game... jk it’ll be like 12 am by the time I get there.

I am off next weekend so I’ll definitely show up to the meet up. Thanks!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like a plan :).

You’ll have @leeb18c there so bring your questions and potential level changes;).

I’ll send a PM over the weekend with details about the meet up(y).

Rxgolfer likes this.
  20. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rxgolfer, your pics show a shot of the inverter coolant reservoir. In no way am I trying to insult you but I want to verify you understand the engine coolant reservoir is the larger tank on the passenger fender. Ray's advice to mark the current level with a sharpie to give you an easy reference to check daily for level drop is something I would do.

Despite a few of us somewhat questioning your mechanic's diagnostic approach, he seems to be a capable wrench spinner, having whipped the EGR valve and cooler off with the windshield wiper tray in place:eek:. The valve and cooler need to be cleaned thoroughly as do the pipe and the intake manifold. This can be done with Brakleen quick and dirty style, or slow and completely type-A, ala @Mendel Leisk (this statement made with love:love:, of course!) using a variety of less aggressive cleaners. The statement that there is "water in the EGR" needs to be expanded upon; water meaning engine coolant?.. from a blown valve cooler jacket?.. from another source?.. condensation in the pipe and/or valve because the cooler and the IM are so plugged there is no air flow to the valve and pipe?... The intake manifold needs to be pulled and the EGR ports meticulously cleared. There is a long, large diameter EGR port running the length of the IM, which is the continuation of the EGR pipe for reference. Then there is a small diameter EGR port running the length of all 4 intake ports. You'll see them plainly when you sight the intake ports. These all need to be cleaned free of blockage. Both @Mendel Leisk and @NutzAboutBolts have excellent tutorials posted of this process and there is a ton of great info in @danlatu 's blown head gasket thread: Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k | PriusChat. While the intake manifold is off, replace the PCV valve with a new Toyota OEM part. Also, if the parts that have already been thrown at the car are not OEM, my head would fly off. But that's just me;)...

If the car isn't burning coolant with a failed head gasket, complete blockage of the EGR path would likely be the cause of your misfires. Our "rule out the head gasket" tendency is simply born from experience around here. No reason to clean the EGR if you're just going to scrap the engine... Typically by the time a turd gen Prius is misfiring, it's already burning coolant. But it is the clogging of the EGR circuit which leads to the head gasket failure, and there has been a report or 2 of no coolant burn and EGR circuit cleaning remedying the misfire(s). This would be best case scenario for you. Also, as JC pointed out, there have been a few reports of "head gasket sealer in a bottle" buying some owners several thousand more miles before the the engine grenades. The EGR circuit can be cleaned for the cost of 3 or 4 cans of Brakleen and a gallon of Toyota Super Long Life coolant. All gaskets can be re-used if care is taken. There is no point in replacing EGR valve or cooler unless there is physical damage to either.

So if you determine your head gasket is ok, or if you determine it's blown but you want to rebuild this engine vs sourcing a donor, this cleaning project is front and center.

NutzAboutBolts, RMB, Rxgolfer and 2 others like this.