1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Chin" styling changes between '14 and '15

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by MacMarty15221, Nov 9, 2021.

1. MacMarty15221

MacMarty15221 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had 3 standard Prii in the family up to now. I'm thinking of getting a used 201x Prius v this time around, because of the extra cargo volume. I'm puzzled by the front protruding "chin" that came in with the 2015 model year. Is this just an aesthetic choice on Toyota's part, or is there maybe some extra crash protection or other mechanical justification in there?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2015 was the midlife update so there were cosmetic updates to the exterior (front and rear lights and front bumpers for example).

However, there was an update done to the driver's side to improve the "driver's side small offset" crash test.

I don't know if the chin is a direct result of that, but there was a change made under the skin.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You want a 15-17 gen3 v because of improved crash test ratings and improved pistons and rings that in the earlier years were directly or indirectly responsible for excessive oil consumption, egr clogging and head gasket failures. The 2016 gen4 hatchback fixed the engine and many other issues. All gen3s also suffer from brake booster issues.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One advantage of the "Chin" is that the Eye bolt covers on the bumpers are now all the same color: Glossy black.

I lost one of those eye bolt covers at a car wash on my Barcelona Red Metallic 2013 Prius v. The unpainted replacement cover costs like $8 from the dealer. It cost me like $30 for all the paint required:
    - Sandable primer
    - Duplicolor "Barcelona Red Metallic" paint
    - Clear Coat.​

After all the paint layers, you can still tell it is not original paint. I pried the cover off once for a tow, and now it has a noticeable chip in the corner. I don't like doing paint.

If I should ever lose an eye bolt cover on my 2017, I can buy a black glossy over from the dealer, since all 2017's have the same color on their covers: Glossy Black. No painting required. Too bad the 2015-2017 covers are different from the 2012-2014 covers. I would have settled for two black covers.