1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

China is big on SUV's

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Apr 25, 2012.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    SUVs are big in China - latimes.com

Warning. Crazy rant ahead.

Let's face it. The war on climate change is lost. The only thing that will stop the siege on CO2 expansion is when we are well beyond peak fossil fuel. When we've chopped down all the trees and then a coupling of human population shrinkage with vegetative regrowth(consuming all that CO2 and dead human carcasses). Anyone who thinks we'll grow to a population of 10-20 billion and then stay at a steady state indefinitely is in for a shock. So if you're worried about climate change. Don't waste your energy worrying about it. It's a reality we need to live with and we need to cope with the consequences, just like the ants deal with when I poor boiling water on their colonies. Talk about climate change.

2. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not a big suprise here. Economy is booming, lots of people are making lots of money, and when you take into account the rest of china's environmental disasters, what is there to be suprised aboout? If you have 100k to spend on an suv, then $4 a gallon gas doesnt matter so much.

They are going through a cultural revolution. People can now have wealth and status, and the suv is becoming a symbol of that just as it did here.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mad max was a documentary.:) But I did not know there was a war on climate change. If there that is the case it is probably like the war on drugs, not a real war just a way to make money for governments:D

Fear not my friend, trees are renewable. Texas reached the peak chopping point in the '20s or '30s and has since decided trees have value. There are many more here, even after the wildfires than at that sad time. We even have fines if you let a 50 yo tree die on your land.

For every ton of co2 that the west reduces though, china and india add 3 more. The planet is increasing its ghg. We will see if we reach a tipping point or if at some point things slow down.

I unfortunately agree here.:D Just like learning to live with the atom bomb, ghg are reality, and we can't just mope about it destroying the world.
    [ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/"]Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU2ODM2NTkxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMwMzU3Mg@@._V1._SX94_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTU2ODM2NTkxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMwMzU3Mg@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX94@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame]
    But its probably just a fad. Maybe the next one will be electric roadsters.

4. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well the suv was a fad, and the electric roadster is a rich mans toy, so who knows?

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This could have been my rant :) I see the (transparent) SUV commercials on CCTV. The fuel price is now closer to 5.5 $USD per US gallon. Beijing traffic jams = LA (other cities will get there soon enough). Parking lots? Um, no. So yes, it is nuts.

The business opportunity may be how to turn all those SUVs into something useful later? Nothing immediately comes to mind, other than use in dikes against 'ocean encroachment'.

I am a fan of trees, along with AustinG. However, I can't accept the '1 down and 3 up' CO2 idea. The west is not down in CO2 emissions. Is it?

Maybe IBM's lithium air batteries will transform electric cars into what we need them to be. Somebody can start a thread on that.

6. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The problem is that we all have to be a good example before we can ask developing countries to follow suit.
    How could we possibly ask China and India to try and balance out CO2 when USA keeps on trucking with SUVs as grocery getters?

It doesn't matter than Germany, France, England and others tax vehicles based on their emissions as long as there is at least one large developed country which doesn't seem to follow what the international communities preach.

But the largest problem is not CO2. It's the damn fuel going into these monstrosities. I bet that we would still be screwed even if all families in developing countries got prii instead of Suburbans.

Disclaimer
    If this thread gets moved to politics, then I will no longer be able to respond as I do not have access to that forum (request ignored).

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, let's keep the politics out. I don't have access to that forum nor do I want it.
    Regarding the above, I haven't followed it but http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=190590#p190590 might be interesting.

The SF BayLeaf club is VERY lucky that IBM Almaden Research isn't far away from the rest of the members. In fact, the entrance to that facility is <2 miles away where I live.

8. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    It is often said that battery technology is lacking, but technology only evolves when enough research is put into it. The latest push on electric cars has put renewed focus/fundings into battery tech, so advancements (such as the IBM research suggestion) are to be expected.

I hope we get further in this field this time than the last time there was high interest into the field of hydrogen capacitors.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The problem is the cure. We don't have to use up every drop, but once we get past peak oil/fossil fuel, then will realistic and necessary "getting off oil(including cannibalism)" solutions arise.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now that's a hoot. One kid per family - rational being food shortages over the centuries in China would cause mass revolt and government over throws. But running out of air that's not putrid ... not so important. Now I understand.
    So . . . China is big on SUV's . . . . does that mean the ol' saying is true?

Big car . . . . . . . little - ______? See, I know what you THOUGHT ... but what I really meant was, little money left after filling big gas tank.

;)