1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

China Syndrome in Japan?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Mar 12, 2011.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay I stand corrected. Please direct me to a link or somewhere that explains the accounting of what was spent on Iraq by Halliburton. I believe as a tax payer I have the right to know the bottom line if it was ever reached. :(
    Perhaps TEPCO and the government of Japan should hire Halliburton to do the job right :)

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh wow. That place is really f***ed up. Sad

That expertise comes from the Cold War. Slow moving propeller aircraft routinely were flown along the border of the former USSR to determine composition of Soviet nuclear testing and if Soviet processing plants were as accident prone as the American ones

The Soviet processing plants turned out to be far more accident pron. Francis Gary Powers was sent to overfly the Chelyabinsk-65 facility, Mayak, which is similar to Hanford in Washington. A SAM intercepted and brought down his U2

What is interesting is that "atomic forensics" even back then was so advanced one could determine the reactor design, the processing used (PUREX, UREX, TRUEX, etc), and the condition of the reactor and/or spent fuel

Bad things are happening in Japan. We could very well face not only a new global severe recession, but also a global refugee crisis

3. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Deduce vs being accurate are two exclusive things. Then again, this is a French agency: France has the highest percentage of nuclear energy, so they'd have a better perspective about current nuclear trends then us (especially considering they have nuclear reprocessing).

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had understood that the Japanese had even used early forms of this to deduce the composition and size of the bombs that hit them in 1945.

5. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

:hand: :nono:

Both the Japanese and the USofA reprocess fuels Bra... saying teh frenchies have a better Idea is like saying a Citroen is a better vehicle than a Cadillac...

It just ain't true Bra.

6. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Bra... the Japanese set off their own nuke bomb in WWII off the coast of Korea...

They had a clue about size... they just didn't have any more to use.

7. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Eh, no...in order to not promote nuclear proliferation, the US has not reprocessed in more then 30 years:

Nuclear Reprocessing: Dangerous, Dirty, and Expensive | Union of Concerned Scientists

I was indicating that France is one of the contries with the highest percentage of nuclear energy then any country (since the US has some alternatives as well as abundant coal reserves, we aren't the leaders in nuclear energy). Say what you will about car brands....I like California wines more then French wines....but that too has no bering what this topic is about:D

8. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

As a former contractor to DOE... I believe we do not admit to what we do as a nation in reprocessing of nuke material in public...

Just saying...

[​IMG]

9. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well considering that a reprocessing plant is a fair chunk of change (and in the books have never been created)...I could care less about what your theories are vs what's actually documented.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Respectable pointers? While I'm finding evidence of nuclear research, I'm not finding anything beyond conspiracy theories that they did it, or even had a program to make the materials for a first one.

11. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My friends in Tokyo have decided to settle in as they have no plans of going elsewhere or evacuating. They have too many investments and businesses to run. Inconvenience aside, they can live with the blackouts, the crowded trains, the shortage of gas and food items. Since a whopping one third of the population will die from cancer, the chances of dying from second hand smoke is higher than that from the current radiation. At least for now. Also the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki have lived long lives like some in their eighties and nineties, and they ate stuff from farmland in the area and ate the fish as well. So we have a long way to go before it gets serious enough to raise a concern yet. I wouldn't eat sushi or sashimi from fish caught off shore of Fukushima but everywhere else its still safe. But I'm a steak and potatoes guy anyway.

14. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    150 schools closed.. just for context, when the city closes for a snow day it's almost 300 schools closed.

16. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Those who are facing mandatory evacuation must leave their pets. However there are some that have refused to leave and decided to stay with their pets. Their is a petition going around inside Japan to allow the "family" to evacuate together. I would be one of those that would stay behind and keep feeding the animals left behind.

18. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the saddest thing I've read today.

20. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The disaster has now been officially upgraded to the same level as Chernobyl.
    The difference of course is the core has not exploded yet but the scale of events and radiation released is alarming..

Japan nuclear disaster tops scale - CNN.com