1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

China taxes SUVs 40%, so should America do the same? video on CNBC

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Aug 14, 2008.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

What is funny? The idea of a car pulling a trailer? Quite common and not funny at all in other countries.

Sounds like you have a pretty big trailer.

I also agree that there will always be a need for trucks. However, Americans often use trucks for tasks that do not require them and then use these task to justify the need for a truck. You may not fit into this category but many do. I was one of these people.

I used have a truck but sold it and bought the Jetta when my wife started driving 100 miles roundtrip to the university. I've needed a truck twice in the 6 years since and both times rented one from Enterprise. New Chevy Silverado Crew Cab, $39 a day, unlimited miles and they pick you up.

2. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most of the big SUVs there (lots of big black Buicks) are corporate cars or rentals.
    Only the very rich capitalists or high Communist party officials with expense accounts have them. Taxis are VW Foxes.

The other thing is families are small since they can only have one child--so no need for big gas guzzlers. No soccermoms driving lots of kids around.

And when you have too many people to feed as a country, you tend to conserve your resources. More than we do.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The taxis seem to vary a lot depending on which city you're in. I went there recently and found IIRC, most taxis in Beijing were Hyundais. In Shanghai, they were almost ALL Volkswagen Santana (Volkswagen Passat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I've heard that in Chongqing, they're almost all Suzukis.