1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chirping Noise under the hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salz62, May 27, 2019.

1. Salz62

Salz62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Occasionally I hear a chirping noise coming from the driver's side of the car. I hear it when I have just turned the car on and am sitting still. I also hear it when I a driving. Is there a belt or a pulley on that side of the car that I should be checking?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a water pump belt on the gen 2. i wouldn't call it 'that side of the car' but noises can be funny.

look it over for cracking on the underside, or shiny surface. check the tension. sometimes the tension pulley can make noise.
    i think it is supposed to be changed around 100k, and some recommend doing the water pump and coolant while it is off.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am inclined to vote for the CHRS (Coolant Heat Recover Storage) pump; PN 16290-21011.
    When you say
    Do you start the car and being moving immediately? Say w/in 30seconds of starting the car (READY), you begin moving? Thus the belief that you hear the noise when driving. OR does this noise really come on as you are and have been driving well after 30 seconds of starting (READYing) the car?

If it truly is the CHRS pump, no need to replace it until it fails. CEL will come on and likely get DTC P2601.

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most likely brake actuator/accumulator doing its thing. One of the strange, but normal noises this car makes. That is on the left side of the car as you sit behind the wheel. Saying “drivers’ side is ambiguous since for some steering wheel is on the right side.

5. Maureen G.

Maureen G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @VFerdman I have a chirping sound coming from this area as well and have noticed it since having the actuator/accumulator replaced ($2,500 job) last year. It seems like you're saying this is a normal sound, but it's distressing to me. Is it something they should have adjusted differently?

Also, I've just run diagnostics and gotten codes B1433, B1442, B1443 and B1271.

B1433
    HVAC servo (per another priuschat post)

B1442 TOYOTA code possible causes
    • Faulty Air Inlet Damper Control Servo Motor
    • Air Inlet Damper Control Servo Motor harness is open or shorted
    • Air Inlet Damper Control Servo Motor circuit poor electrical connection
    • Faulty Air Conditioning Amplifier

B1443 TOYOTA code possible causes
    • Faulty Air Outlet Damper Control Servomotor
    • Air Outlet Damper Control Servomotor harness is open or shorted
    • Air Outlet Damper Control Servomotor circuit poor electrical connection
    • Faulty A/C Control Assembly

B1271 TOYOTA code possible causes
    • Faulty Combination Meter Assembly (Meter ECU)
    • Combination Meter Assembly harness is open or shorted
    • Combination Meter Assembly circuit poor electrical connection

I know my AC leaks, I just keep refilling it instead of paying the $1700 to repair. Mostly wondering about the chirp, since I need to call the shop on the 1271 code and want to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If Big Island Toyota is asking $2500 for AC repair, maybe try small shop instead. BIToyota seems to get very bad service reviews on YELP.