1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chirps & squeaks after changing pothole-induced front flat-tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Dec 8, 2023.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Basically, driving at night I hit a pothole going approximately 50mph and the tire immediately went flat with a huge gash on the inner-sidewall of the front driver's side tire.

I changed the tire to the spare within 1/10 of a mile of the pothole and went on my merry way or so I thought. The next day had my tire changed properly with a full-size replacement but some time later started noticing at low speeds I can hear squeaks and chirps over very small bumps or just an irregular surface.

Are these noises due to some damage to front-tire related parts such as the tie-rod or CV joint, shocks or something else that was damaged? What should I check?

thanks for any advice.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well the generation 2 is a pretty old car and probably hadn't had any suspension work done and now it just had some suspension work beat pretty hard so there's always that might be quicker to just go to the tire store and let them have a look tell you what they think they need to replace go from there you're not familiar with suspensions and that sort of thing You may not be equipped to get the car up in the air and have a look not necessarily on a lift but up on ramp so you can get under it well and all that sort of thing I'm sure there's billions of YouTube videos dealing with Corollas and Yaris and Prius they're all pretty much the same far as front suspension and whatnot goes.

3. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

thanks.

I plan on going tomorrow but want to know what to look for. the flat tire happened pretty violently so I imagine there are front-end parts that have been affected but I would like to know what to look at specifically or tell the tire center.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What you should probably do is watch him YouTube videos on pothole and suspension damage I'm sure there are many and you can see cars with front end components very similar to yours mangled up and bent and what have you and then when you look at your car after looking at those videos you can see how your car doesn't look or does however that plays out that's usually the fastest way to do it so somebody trying to describe what to look for with words yeah that's going to be real good and then posting pictures and all that when you can just Google YouTube of those particular scenarios there should be a plenty Corolla Yaris are the same so you ram any of these cars like this into a pothole straight ahead turning whatever the damage should be pretty similar.

5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Chirps & squeaks.
    Chirp noise, to me, is unique for suspension complaint, as usually that comment relates to accessory/ serpentine engine belts.

Post 4 has some good advice.
    IMO if the pothole was large enough to damage a tire, there is a strong possibility something on the chassis is damaged or moved too.

**Perhaps the best advice is to get your wheel alignment checked on a shop's alignment machine.**

As for home diagnosis, you could "eye" everything and take measurements. I could say to focus on the shock absorber and lower a-arm for bends/ misalignment and the bushings for tears or movement from their original positions. Don't forget to look at the underhood shock tower area. I would further remove the front wheel rims to compare both sides and inspect the hubs. The trueness/ roundness on the rims - noting the tire shop that replaced your tire may have already checked that - would also be a concern for me. That's my two-cent do it yourself at home comment.

If I were to comment about the word chirp, I would consider the wheel bearing making that sound.

In direct reference to your complaint, spray silicone lubricant on every rubber suspension/ component you locate. That may cure it :)

Good luck.
    Let us know what you find.

priuslyfe likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The issue here is is that you have to know what the suspension looks like untouched or in reasonable condition to know what it's going to look like when it's not I guess is what I'm saying but yeah go out and do all this and see what you got If you don't work on anything or don't know what you're looking at then it may not be a thing but I'm sure we'll be easy to connect with folks that have an idea like the tire store at the corner that kind of thing

priuslyfe likes this.
  7. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just got back from the tire shop. I drove 15miles to the tire-center and didn't notice any alignment issues. I asked the tech to rotate the tires and put the rears on the front which they did and I also took a look a the area with the tire off on a lift. After describing what happened, I was told that everything looked "fine" and I took some pictures but it is indeed very difficult to assess what I am looking for. However, they told me they don't do repair work outside of tire-related issues anyway so I don't think his diagnosis was the most informed.

the "chirp" sound is at low mileage and going over bumps. I thought it might have been the bushings inside the engine compartment but haven't looked yet. the sounds are definitely coming from the pothole damaged side. Like going over small bumps "chirp, chirp...chirp" then larger bumps I can't hear it at all. Definitely post pothole. Very annoying sound albeit likely insignificant.

thing is...if what the tech said is true...that the hardware looked "fine", then I just gotta figure out where to lubricate the parts. Could the front-shock (very old 300K miles) have been so impacted that it now chirps at low speeds? Typically I avoid potholes but I was in a bad neighborhood that I was unfamiliar with and roads aren't maintained well, thus I couldn't avoid the pothole. Again I was going 50mph.

So basically, on the premise of "fine" tie-rods and such, I think its the...

.1 left front shock - how do I lubricate this? I thought it was all internal nowadays.

2. bushings - maybe on the driver's side inside the engine compartment? I'll look when the weather is nicer.

3. connective-joints in the tie-rod & sway bar area of the tire - can I use WD40 to lubricate these joints?

Thanks for the advice. I have watched several youtube videos to familiarize myself with what may have been damaged.

AN ASIDE: I have Michelin Defenders which I bought 2 years ago, however the tire-center said it was time for new tires. I was told the tires were at 4/32-5/32 which is less than the recommended amount BUT if I use the "penny test" my tires seem to be sufficient (in the yellow below). Do all tire centers basically say any car coming in needs NEW tires replaced? Is there a more updated way to check tires than with a penny? Also arent' tires supposed to last much longer than 40K miles or less? these are rated for 80K.

[​IMG]

#7 priuslyfe, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Slight bends in your suspensions components are very difficult to recognize - if your not working on the exact same suspension system day in and day out. A Toyota specialty body shop may be able to spot your problem.
    Did you get the alignment checked?
    The only thing that's easy to spot is movement of the sway-bar bushings - there's a clean spot where the bushing used to reside. That's a clear indicator that your suspension has shifted; possibly out of alignment.

Hope this helps...

priuslyfe likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some likely do.

Instead of pennies, get a tire gauge? they're readily available, $5 at most. 4~5/32" is getting pretty low, still legal (down to 2/32" IIRC) but traction is compromised. You've got one brand-new tire, so would only be shopping for 3 more?

I'd guess something IS compromised in the suspension, just not that obvious. I don't know much about it, but this video is of interest:

priuslyfe likes this.
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You spray white grease and lubricate the sway bar end links they clip on to the strut and grab on to the sway bar they have funky plastic bushings in them and they can go to squeaking and clicking the likeliness of your strut or shock portion of your strut to be squeaking like this is not really a thing but the upper mount can get pitted and damaged but usually it only rears its ugly head when turning It sounds like you're squeaking and noise is happening as a suspension moves up and down that's sway bar end link would move with the up and down movement along with the spring the upper perch and the course the shock rod going up and down with a pothole then the strut enough so that it wouldn't be straight at least the rod going up and down in its bore not likely but anything is possible. So you can maybe make this sound with the hood up just leaning on the side of the car that suspect in the front bouncing the suspension up and down essentially or somebody can do it while you have your head in there looking. But I mean replacing the whole suspension on one side especially if you do it at home it's pretty quick painless and all of that I'm assuming your lower control arm is good because it would go up and down as you slammed into the pothole not side to side or any of that unless the pothole was big enough to it buried the tire which would have rendered it usually flat wheel ruined and all that or maybe you'll just live with the squeak in it well close to 20-year-old car.

priuslyfe likes this.
  11. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the replies.

Another thing to look out for after watching videos re: potholes is a cracked-wheel which will compromise the bead around the seal of the tire & the wheel thus not holding in air. So I guess if the tire slowly deflates over the next few days that might be the culprit. I really don't think tire center diagnosii are valid. For one, there was unsurprisingly a large line first thing on a Saturday morning and secondly I heard one of the managers yell "C'mon, you've already spent 15 minutes on that car!" to a worker changing tires.

12. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    UPDATE:

Took the wheel off and basically applied WD-40 as it all I have at the moment to basically anything that seemed like a joint. Then slightly loosened and tightened all nuts and bolts.

Have driven a few miles and no "chirps". I have a feeling the pothole jarred a bolt enough to cause it to squeak but not sure. Lucked out to be honest. I guess we'll see if it continues.

bisco likes this.