1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choices Prius 2 (2010)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FarmerTed, Dec 11, 2017.

1. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2013 Prius was totaled a couple weeks ago, and I purchased a 2010 Prius 2 last night. I am trying to sort out what is the best way to move forward regarding installing a back up camera and navigation system. If I am understanding what I’ve read so far, then I should not have too much trouble finding someone to install a unit like the one I found on ebay below (which looks almost identical to the one an earlier posted linked to from Amazon (and the Amazon one was less). I feel a bit like Dr. Frankenstein here as I am not only trying to this replacement 2010 into a replica of my now deceased 2013, but I’m wondering if even more could be done.

In my dream world, I could add a front facing camera, a pre-collision system, Lane-Keeping Assist and Intelligent Park Assist.

I no longer possess the dexterity to work on a car without assistance; but I might be able to convince my brother to help me or pay an installer.

At a minimum, I know that a back up camera with an in dash mounted screen and Bluetooth are must haves, but because my joints don’t love me, as much as I love them, I know that intelligent parking assistance could be beneficial. Further now having recently survived a terrible collision and not having any footage of what the other driver did, I’d really like to have a front facing camera.

It just isn’t clear to me what the possibilities are, and whether some of them may be cost prohibitive. I am not picking up the car until Monday; but I’d like to have a plan with regard to building or not building this Frankenprius.

Ebay
    For Toyota Prius 2009-2015 Android 6.0 Car GPS Navigation DVD Radio Stereo WiFi

2. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 Prius that needs a backup camera also. Bought a Garmin Nuvi 68LM GPS and a Garmin BC30 Wireless Backup camera. Have not installed them as yet but have hooked them up to test and they work o.k. With this, you need power to the Nuvi in the front of the vehicle and power to the camera in the back, but being wireless you avoid having to string a wire from back to front. The camera is still being sold for about $130.00. The GPS is outmoded but last sold for $190.00 Does not get you a front facing camera but does give you a nav system and back up camera for a not a lot of cash. I put the GPS suction cup in the small forward triangular window on the drivers' side and it avoids restricting visibility there.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fact that you now have a 2010 Level II makes "most" of what you want very doable. If you live in the DFW area I can refer you to my installer who did a perfect job on mine...though slightly different than what you want.

See Media https://priuschat.com/members/frodoz737.67749/

4. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the Houston-Metro area; but I might be willing to drive North to get the job done correctly.

I met with an installer yesterday, but I am not sure that he understood what I wanted. This process is making me feel ill. I now wish that I’d just bought the car with the bells and whistles.

I want a front facing camera, back up camera, navigation, Bluetooth, dash mounted screen/radio with a DVD player, and parking assist. The installer I spoke with last night gave me a quote under 900 dollars, but I’d have to use my phone for navigation & I am not crazy about that idea. I’ve found several parking assistance computers ebay, but I am so confused about how all these parts would work together.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. Jamieconway

Jamieconway New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also use Garmin backup camera for my Toyota Prius 2011 I bought last year from a Japanese platform. Because it's a used car so after purchasing it I have to make some change to suit m own purposes. The backup camera I installed works quite well, it's not too pricey but all functions is quite great.