1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WE0H, Jun 20, 2011.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What I will do is put a 'Bottom Line' entry at the bottom of my first post with all the juicy details of Elantra verses Prius my observations. I have it all in my mind right now what I will be writing. Gotta hit the road after breakfast for the last leg home. One more stop in Rochester Minnesota at a Savers to pick up some more goodies. There's still some space not yet filled in the car :pound:

Mike

2. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Are you guys like american pickers?
    American Pickers — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of. We stopped by their shop a few weeks ago on our way down south. Unfortunately only the regular workers were there. We were told they are opening up another shop in Tennessee. I forgot the town :rolleyes: The wife collects antique glassware and I buy anything that will be usable for Amateur Radio. I also collect antique pistols. Eventually we are moving south and opening an antique store.

3 pics of our one & only Barcelona Prii at the pickers place :p I should start a thread in that OT section where anything goes so you guys can see all the fun stuff we do with rental Prii and some other cars. Mostly Prii ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I chuckle at the sticker on the door jamb on the rental Prii that says something like this vehicle has had modifications that reduced it's cargo carrying capacity by 10 pounds or something like that :pound: We have had the rental Prii loaded floor to ceiling, front to rear, and under the front seats with glassware. They look like a low rider :thumb: That is one of the things the Prius has a one up over the Elantra, it carry's more weight while driving just fine. The Elantra can't carry as much weight and still drive fine.

Mike

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, it's your thread =).

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See post #1 for the Verdict ;)

It was a fun comparison and I thank everyone for your words of wisdom :usa2:

Mike

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So it's a non-verdict as you haven't actually made up your mind which car to get?

You should really test drive the Five. Some people think it's a totally different animal. The Prius interior bulbs can be changed out to cool white LEDs, as a number of us have done. It actually has 4 cup holders up front if you count the water bottle holders in the doors.

Nice review and thanks for updating your OP.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, now I wish I would have driven a Prii not so long ago to not miss the cup holder count. I totally forgot about the door's. Dummy me :mad: I will edit that first post to make it right.

The problem with driving a Five, is I can't find one or anyone local to let me check out their's. Even a ride along would suffice :p

Yea I am so freakin confused on what to buy. I want to make damn sure I will not have that classic, buyers remorse. I think of cost per month, so that is the only reason I strayed off and checked out other manufacturer's cars. That is the ONLY reason. My wife has no problem with a $32k car. She already owns one and doesn't think twice about having it. I'm the cheep nice person around here :D

Mike :noidea:

8. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Nice review.

It might be a good idea to also show the price of the Prius Two as that is the current equivalent of the one you drove and primarily based your comments on.

One other thing to think about is how many years do you think you will be happy to drive either car. Longer is good and there may be a difference.

1 person likes this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I will update the first post to include this info ;)

Mike

10. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At the price difference, and the number of miles and years you use the car for, I can't see why you would buy the Prius if you just look at the money issue.

You have to WANT the Prius more, regardless... and I'm not sensing that you do.

Heck, with the Elantra, you'll probably have it under b2b warranty the entire time you own it.

I liked the Elantra a lot when I drove it. Too small for me or it may have been a contender.

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to include a poll at the top of all this but I have no idea how to make it.

I was thinking the same thing the other night about the B2B warranty being 5 years 60k miles which the car would be within with my low miles use. Heck, my current summer car only has 10,500 miles on it and it was purchased in June 2006 :pound: Still like new inside & out :) but a very very thirsty appetite for 92 octane gas :pout: We'll see, my son says Elantra, I say either one, I have to ask my wife her opinion. You guys say Elantra for the $$$, it may come down to drawing straws :noidea:

Mike :bolt:

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should make that decision, not us, but first find a way to test drive the Five.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No doubt, the very elusive Five test drive :tea:

tnx,
    Mike :)

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To be honest, I bought my Five sight unseen and without ever test driving one or seeing it in person (I just test drove a Four), but I wasn't considering any other cars. I actually ordered my car over the internet/ phone and had it delivered to my doorstep. Longo Toyota does free delivery within 100 miles radius and it was a great experience, signing all the paperwork in under 10 minutes in the comfort of my home.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did something similar with my current car. I test drove a non-comp model and liked it and then went online and found my car in Sioux Falls South Dakota. I had it put on a trailer and hauled into a Minneapolis Saturn dealer and signed the papers. No regrets. Cool bumping into someone else that has done basically the same thing :p

I will be in the San Francisco area in October. Maybe I will have better luck out there to find a dealer with a Five to drive a bit?

Mike

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can make it to SF in Sept, I think Green Drive Expo will up and running (Sept 17 I think is the first day). Maybe you'll get lucky and see someone with a Five? I'm sure CA will have lots of Fives around.

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'll ask my wife if she has any meetings in September out there. She does business in several states and I either drive her to meetings or tag along if it is a cool destination :p You can bet we are renting a Prius when we do arrive :thumb:

Mike ;)

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in June or July 2009, Toyota Sunnyvale was renting the Prius V and I took them up on it. I don't think they're doing that anymore. Sunnyvale is one of the largest volume dealers of Prius. You could find a V somewhere here to check out.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wife says we will be out there Oct 19-26th. That should give me enough time to find a Five to drive :) We are staying in Oakley. Maybe there will be a Prius gathering during that time we are out there? I am pretty sure I can get a Prii rental :p I just have to remember to not use my phone while driving :eek:

Mike

20. Quackgrass

Quackgrass New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love this thread as my husband and I are currently trying to decide between an Elantra GLS or Prius II -- thanks to all for the advice already posted!

I know this might not apply to your decision making process, WEOH, since this is to be your summer car, but any thoughts on how either would handle in the snow? We are moving to the Twin Cities next month and this will be our primary car, summer and winter.