1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WE0H, Jun 20, 2011.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't fill my own vehicles to the threads :) only the rentals so I get more miles out of the tanks ;)

Mike

2. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How you liking the Prius compared to the Hyundai?

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hi Mike,
    Well I drove a bit over 1800 miles last week in the rental Prius :) One of the first things I noticed was the seat was not as comfortable as the Elantra seat was. I got used to it though :p I have driven rental Prii for well over 10k miles so far. This Prius was absent of squeaks & rattles which was cool. Previous rental Prii have been rattle traps. Some rattle & some don't. After discussing the PHV with my wife & son during this latest trip, we concluded that the PHV would be a better car to buy with it's crazy high gas mileage. I still like the Elantra big time, as well as a regular wireless Gen III Prius, but, gas will never be cheep again and will go up up & away :rant: So now we wait until next spring and have to setup a road trip out east to buy a PHV. If the Elantra was a hybrid and was capable of 50+ mpg, that would be my choice. Right now that is not a possibility. I am just afraid if we bought a non-hybrid and gas prices went nuts, that we would be very upset with only getting 40 something mpg when we could have gotten higher with a hybrid. If the PHV turns into a can of worms to find next June when we are buying a new Prius, then I will settle on a Gen III wireless Prius instead. I know I can get at least 56 mpg in those ;) A couple pics of our rental Prii from last Wednesday showing the last fill up mileage and the total trip mileage. I drove normal. Tires were at 45 psi all around. 87 octane gas, some 85-98 mph cruising in Northern Michigan on Wednesday afternoon :D Otherwise just a couple clicks above the posted limits on other roads. I used the usual back off slightly on the Go Pedal to bump the mpg's up a bit once I got to the speed I wanted to cruise at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That last pic is the northern shoreline of Lake Michigan. That sand was like beach sand in the Caribbean.

Mike

4. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree on the seat. First hundred miles or so were killing me- I even was trying out some back support products- didn't help/ Now up to 600 miles on the car and am very used to the seat with no pain. I think I either finally found the right position or I broke in the seat. Either way- it isn't a great seat- but at least it's now pain free.

5. steveb123

steveb123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This both cars are Yuk, I don't like this both car. As compare to these cars I like to buy Ford Fusion hybrid car because the look and mileage is best.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius seats are good enough. I have been in worse vehicles that make my legs numb or behinder go numb. Drive a Mazda CX-9 with leather seats. Man those seats are hard as a freakin rock :eek:

Mike :)

7. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was going to look at that- but the mileage isn't that great for the price. I think the Focus actually gets better MPG for cheaper.

8. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not know, when I'm spending $23k on a car- I don't want good enough- I want at least dark good! My Mazda3 2003 had much better seats and a much smoother ride. But like I said, I'm getting used to it.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Fusion hybrid gets better MPG than the Focus and the Elantra/Sonata.

I'm not sure what Steve was talking about. Do you think the Fusion hybrid gets better mpg than the Prius V (5)?

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Fusion looks like an old grandma's car :p The Prius, Elantra & Focus look cool. Too bad the Focus has ancient drum rear brakes in all but one version.

Mike

11. MikeR5

MikeR5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    actually drum is only base SE- with sport its disc and same with SEL and Titanium

12. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I really don't mean to be disrespectful but I can't believe that Prius (Toyota) and Elantra (Hyundai) are being spoken about as if the Elantra is on the same level. I see too many Hyundai smoke boxes to respect them as a well engineered car.:)

13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Those are the two that were in my final choice. I wanted the Elantra and my wife wanted the IV with solar. So you know the end of that story. The Elantra is an outstanding car folks but I love my Prius. I would wait for the plug in since you waited this long/LOL.

It is down to money as you do your calculations. Will you get back the larger investment with the price of gas over 5 years/figure $6 a gallon?

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what I have been thinking lately; gas will not go down unless that 2001 law is repealed that put it on Wall Street. The oil companies will never let that happen or they will crank up the prices if it does. What if the wife & I decide to travel longer distances? Last week I drove a rental Prii a bit over 1800 miles. She learned of the upcoming PHV on that last trip and we threw scenarios back & forth about the Elantra, wireless Prius or PHV. As we were both watching me get real close to 50 mpg in the rental Prii in the beginning of the trip, then later in the trip I was pulling over 50 mpg, it was sinking in that this is only a beginning of what could turn into a game for us of using as little gas as possible while getting around the country as we have grown accustom to liking the past few years.

As you found out, the wife has a major influence in the ultimate decision. By the end of the trip she was talking PHV. Of course I haven't let it out of the bag yet that we will have to travel to the east or west coast to buy one next spring :p We'll see...

Now watch Hyundai come out with a 50+ mpg hybrid Elantra for 2012 :eek:

Mike