1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WE0H, Jun 20, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's my guess too. I just couldn't see myself paying the premium for it and the associated mileage hit.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially not when you can just buy a set of aftermarket wheels/tires for much cheaper. :)

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

They'll look a lot better too, if you pick the right ones.

REV

4. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How much of a mileage hit? 2 mpg? How much is that in the grand scheme of 1 year? Especially at how much this guy drives...which is way less than 12k miles/year. In other words, there is NO significant mileage hit at all! Do your own calculations or look up an old post by me...the mileage hit at 50 mpg is insignificant. Basically, if you order water instead of a soda once a month at McDonalds, you would make up the cost! :D

5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LED headlights. Quieter ride than Prius II-IV due to better rear wheel insulation. Unique suspension, sportier steering rack/ratio, etc..

But, you already knew that, right?

6. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Found my old post:

Let's say you drive 12,000 miles a year.

Prius V gets 48 mpg..............Prius II gets 52 mpg (hypothetical numbers to show 4 mpg difference)

After 12,000 miles, Prius V uses 250 gallons of gas.

After 12,000 miles, Prius II uses 230.7 gallons of gas

Difference = 19.3 gallons

Prices for regular gasoline = $3.90 per gallon (picking a random dollar value to be in between today's gas prices and next few months')

So, after 12,000 miles, the driver of Prius II saves $75.27 vs. Prius V driver. Now, this is after 12,000 miles, which is a year's driving for most people. If you drive less, then the savings will be much less.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The OP drives around 2000-3000 miles per YEAR...so, in other words, the fuel savings in buying a Prius II-IV is really non-significant!! Oh yeah, this is why "MPG" is such a bad fuel useage indicator.

7. richbutler1

richbutler1 Green Commuter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back on topic, I know you mentioned the Elantra and the V, but as revhigh mentioned, you should REALLY consider the Sonata Line and specifically the limited. Larger than the Elantra, interior is now rated at top of class, probably higher resale than Elantra, sportier feel and there's a 2.0T (turbo) option that is a solid blend of power and mpg. I was in a similar buying situation, though my main variable was opposite, a 120 mile round trip daily commute, so I went clean, used Prius. I rented the Sonata GLS on several occasions for work and was VERY impressed. I also test drove an Elantra and while solid in its class, it does not compare to a Sonata for marginally more expense. If you can, rent a Sonata limited and open it up if for nothing else other than a weekend or test drive it and the 2.0T to get a flavor for same but with some punch. I have no afiiliations with Hyundai, just went down similar road until I decided used vs. new. I hope this helps.

8. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you, Rich. A couple of my friends bought the new body style Sonata and I was very impressed. I could have easily mistook it for a Lexus when I first sat in it. It would easily be my car of choice if it were not for all the great hybrid options and my need to haul work equipment.. The hybrid version should be killer!

10. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think you can compare the two. I researched them both, and the Elantra is a better deal by far - unless you want a hybrid and are willing to make trade offs.

The trade off's being the Prius has less performance, cheap utilitarian, interior, higher price, better mileage.
    The Elantra has all the bells and whistles, adequate mileage, and a certain plushness all at 21K and change.

It's a matter of what is most important to you. I don't consider them to be comparable.

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was on the road yesterday and last night so didn't get to read all the replies :) Wow what a response ;) Really appreciate the help. Mustang and new Miata is ugly. No need for a new sports car. My mod IRL can do mid to high 13s quarters. My go fast car days are long gone now. I have no interest in collecting tickets or buying 92 gas for a thirsty car :( In my eyes, the Elantra is sharper looking than the Sonata :) The Sonata hybrid has a butt ugly front bumper. Yes it has an awesome interior, but so does the Elantra Limited :)

No sunroof on a Prius Five but the wife knows that and wanted to argue with a dealer why she could not buy a Five without ordering it with her options. I told her they would say no way she is gonna get a sunroof on a Five. So it is still a Prius Five or an Elantra Limited. But, as the majority here say, not worth the costs of a Five, buy the Limited. The test drives will tell me if I like it or not. You can rest assure that I will be back in this thread with my review of the Elantra Limited. I still want to sit in a Prius Five just to cure my mind of what is different from the rental Prii II's that I have driven all over the country. Of course I have to find one first, good luck buddy, huh :( Toyota of Champaign Illinois had one used Gen II Prii on the lot, nothing else last week...

I'll try to find a dealer in Indy or Kentucky over the next 4 weeks of my travels. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one to check out :) Big maybe...

Back on the road I go today so I will check back tomorrow when I get to my next destination :) The main reason my summer car has low miles, is it is at home and I am far far away from it :( Oh well, nice to see the country and crank miles on the rentals rather than mine :)

Thanks much everyone :) You guys are awesome and this forum is so cool ;)

Mike

12. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm having trouble seeing either as a fun summer only car. :confused:

13. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi WE0H I went to the Hyundai dealer near my house months ago to test drive for fun the 2011 elantra I was impressed with the design and specs of the new car so I wanted too see it in person!.I couldn't believe how much I was getting for my money they were offering me the 2011 full loaded limited edition with navi for $21500 + tax, the sound of the engine the 6 speed automatic transmission was nice!

If I was on the market for a new car I believe is the best bang for your buck and with that warranty you can't go wrong!

I love the size of the car and style but some people like the bigger sonata one which could be an option too if you don't mind the extra gas it burns and the size!

Good luck!

14. richbutler1

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mikey, surprised you don't like the style lines on the Sonata but do like the Elantra. The squatter(shorter wheelbase) of the Elantra had the effect for me of exaggerating the effect of the side body lines, where the Sonata's longer frame had a more graceful flow. A few reviewers mirrored that, but you are the only one that matters here. I also like the Sonata's grill on the limited, nice person ugly grill on the Sonata Hybrid which by the way is still just unibody molded plastic. I was surprised at this when I test drove it. Now that I keep hearing 'Summer Fun' and openness to sacrificing a few MPG given lower miles driven, it may behoove you to drive the 2.0T limited, but alas to each his own. I understand if the $ diff. is a key motivating factor betwix the two. Best of luck and keep us posted!

15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought the sunroof was non-negotiable as far as your wife was concerned. I also don't understand why HER parameters determine what car YOU get since you don't drive each other's cars, and you obviously have other cool cars you can drive at any time. :D

Not being rude, but I guess I'm just confused.

REV

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am retired living off her income. She retired me a few years ago as we needed someone to home school our son and also someone to drive her around the Great Lakes States to her business meetings. So that is the reason I get to go on thousand mile plus test drives nearly every week :p Just rolled in late last night on a 4300 mile drive in a RAV4 ;) Got 30 mpg in that with careful driving. Nothing like a Prii of course.

So her opinion plays heavily on a vehicle purchase as she is bringin home the bacon so to say. I should have left that sunroof part out of the equation as far as on here as we know it isn't an option on a Five. She was insistent on arguing with a dealer on ordering the car with the options she wanted. I told her good luck :p

Mike

17. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prius Five. I didn't even read the rest of the post or the replies. Just Prius Five.

:yo:

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius is like the iPhone, any others are just any other cars/phones.

Why not just get the Five and install an aftermarket sunroof or the SR and replace with factory 17"?

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Know what you mean there as an iPhone 4 owner :)

I have thought of the Four with added stuff. The faster steering ratio of the Five is more appealing though.

First thing is to drive the Elantra starting Sunday afternoon. Once I get that done, then I can have a better idea what the differences are compared to the Prius. I still need to sit in a Five. I'll keep my eye's out for one in my travels but doubting I will find one until the supply builds back up :(

Mike

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this thread for real?
    If I were thinking of buying a Hyundai Elantra limited, I would not look into a Prius Five since it may cost $10,000 more than the Elantra. I would take a look at this:

2011 Honda Fit Sport
    [​IMG]