1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WE0H, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember seeing a couple of the auto websites and magazines being able to squeeze out mid to high 20's mpg on the new Elantra with freeway driving. I think 40 mpg or high 30's highway is being very optimistic.

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can drive a 2011 base model RAV4 from Indianapolis thru Iowa to Minnesota and average 30.1 MPG. I think I can do much better than that in the Elantra. Of course that is if I can find one at the rental place on Sunday :confused: That same route in a Prius II gives me a click over 50 MPG with the car loaded heavy with all the goodies we collect in our travels :p

Mike

3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Road and track got 29MPG with the Elantra in mixed driving. The Elantra gets EPA highway MPG of 40, and most drivers can do better than sticker on highway drives.

4. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant mix, my bad when I said highway. :D Mileage of course is always YMMV.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can get 43 MPG in a Gen III if I run 80-85 MPH down the Interstate :D

Mike

6. voip-ninja

voip-ninja New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe me guys, I really am trying to convince myself that the Prius is worth the extra cost. If the Entune upgrade shows up then it's a strong possibility. However, if they soldier on with a re-badged 2011 model next year then I am probably going to go with something else because at that point I can't justify the very high price premium over other, similar economy cars with a far lower sticker price.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Elantra Limited fully loaded is ~$8,800 less than a Prius Five with Nav :confused:

Mike

8. voip-ninja

voip-ninja New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's confusing you about the price difference? I can buy over 2000 gallons of gas with the price difference between the two.

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not confused. I just picked one of the Smiles on the right ;) I hope to rent a 2011 Elantra this Sunday so I can find out for myself how it drives and the gas mileage obtained with my right foot :) I will report back my findings good or bad.

Mike

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, at 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4Dr Sedan Cost Of Ownership | New 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4Dr Sedan Ownership Costs & Depreciation at IntelliChoice.com vs. 2011 Toyota Prius Five 4Dr Hatchback Cost Of Ownership | New 2011 Toyota Prius Five 4Dr Hatchback Ownership Costs & Depreciation at IntelliChoice.com, there's no way to select equipment levels on either but it pegs the Elantra as having $2143 less in 5-year ownership costs than the Prius Five.

I suspect that the repair amounts would be reversed though, w/the Hyundai requiring more money spent in repairs.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dubious, the Hyundai warranty is much better through 5 years, and a power train warranty that lasts 10 years. I would give the edge to Hyundai on that one.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I was thinkin too :p

Mike

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2,000 gallons of gas? Is this the only difference, then all of us need to read stories about environmental adverse effects on land like this one and refreshed our memory about the recent Gulf explosion.

The Associated Press: Exxon Mobil ordered to pay $1.5B for Md. gas leak

14. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why not get the Sonata Hybrid? It offers about the same highway mileage as the Elantra. Engine shuts off when you stop. 74mph electric speed. You could probably get 50mpg highway if you try.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sonata Hybrid has that butt ugly black bumper on it. Absolutely ugly as sin :eek: Otherwise I liked that car when I got to sit in one. Never drove one though. Again it comes down to cost of ownership after say ~5 years. I'd be in the same situation as the Prius Five; big payment for a car that only gets driven 7k miles each summer if that. My current summer car has gotten driven 10,500 miles since May of 2006 :p It sits in my garage, all pretty, waiting for me to go for a drive :) I figure with a car not needing 92 octane gas and not getting 20 MPG that I might drive it up to ~7k miles a summer. I am retired and don't go far. If I travel, I go to Hertz and rent a Prius II ;) sometimes a Camry or RAV4 if they are fresh out of Prii :p If that Elantra Limited isn't what I like, then I will be buying a Prius Five next May or June. I am very biased toward the Prii since I have been renting them nearly every other week for the past 3 years. It's not a perfect car, but something techie weird about it that attracts me :) We'll see, test drive the Elantra for a few thousand miles, then go from there.

Mike

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I knew about their 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty but I stand corrected on their basic warranty. :embarassed::redface: Whoops.

I just checked into Hyundai Assurance | America's Best Warranty to confirm it but do see that some items are only covered for 3 years/36K miles or less. The wear items and adjustments warranty they give is pretty industry standard though...

17. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Sonata Hybrid looks ugly in pictures but in real life, it looks pretty good.

18. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This thread made me look at the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Frankly, I am impressed. Anybody want to trade a Sonata Hybrid for a Prius?

19. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Headed to Hyndai website...

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you find their pollution scores let me know. Fueleconomy.gov list the it for the 2011 Elantra yet. :)

Some of us care about emissions even more than we car about saving money on the car. 2000 gallons of extra burned fuel produces a lot of pollution.....

That's why I bought a Prius instead of an Accent or a used Civic.