1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choose people or SUVs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OTTAWA - Abrupt climate change may soon force governments to choose between feeding people and fuelling SUVs, a respected investment firm says in a new study.

Toronto-based Sprott Asset Management says global warming is occurring faster than expected and rising demand for so-called green fuel will cut into food supplies.

The investment firm produced a bleak study that also predicts increased regulation and ballooning deficits as governments try to cope with more frequent climate-related disasters while building new infrastructure to reduce carbon emissions. Hyperinflation is seen as a plausible result.

"Governments, business and the general public are just now waking up to the seriousness of global warming as we witness its consequences unfolding around the planet," CEO Eric Sprott and market strategist Kevin Bambrough reported.

Full Article

2. Jilly

Jilly New Member

From what I've been told, it seems to me the Dutch have it right. The less mpg your vehicle, the more you pay in road taxes. IOW, you pay to pollute.

Sadly, it would be political suicide for any US politician to suggest such a thing.

Jilly

3. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jilly @ Jul 30 2006, 01:30 AM) [snapback]294519[/snapback]</div>
    We already do that with gas taxes. The more gas you burn, the more you pay in gas taxes. I recall that at least one state a few years ago was considering a special tax on high efficiency cars like hybrids because the owners would not be paying fair share. A Prius beats the road up as much as any other car of similar weight, but pay substantially less in gas taxes used to maintain the roads.