1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Christmas Crash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AndyZaa, Dec 27, 2009.

1. AndyZaa

AndyZaa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After wishing and looking at Prius' for the last year, I finally found my new-to-me 2006 package #7 ten days ago. Yesterday, while we were inside at a relative's house, a 17 year old neighbor backed out of his driveway right into my baby. The good news is that he came right over with his father to provide insurance information. The bad news is, well everything else...

The car is going to need at least a driver side front quarter panel, driver door, wheel cover. I want to ask the PriusChat community a couple of questions.

Roughly, how much do you think it will cost to repair? I recognize the other party will pay but am just trying to get an idea of cost.

Has anyone here had experience with diminished value claims? I gather that in cases like this where 100% liability is assumed by the other party there is a legal basis for diminisihed value claim. I wouldn't have thought of this but because I just bought the car I think there is good comparative value data. If this is just body damage (no frame damage), any ideas on % or cash dimished value? Are one of the appraisal services specializing in DV the best course?

The whole diminished value issue has a lot of emotion around it for a lot of people. I can tell you that I paid Edmunds TrueAppraisal value for this car which was in outstanding condition. I probably wouldn't even have looked at it if I saw in the CarFax that it had an accident, even this minor one. My point is that diminished value is a real issue. Even brought back to new condition, this car is not worth what it was ten days ago.

The accident occured in NY and I live in NJ. Does NY or NJ law cover the diminished value issue?

Any recommendations on the type of body shop I should go to, or specific ones in the New Brunswick NJ area?

Would you recommend a wheel alignment after such a crash?

The car has 23,400 miles on it.

Thanks for your advice - you can imagine this made for an unhappy holiday!

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I estimate about $2K if the fender and the door have to be replaced.
    It is a fender bender, I doubt you can claim any diminished value.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmmmm..Sorry to hear you got hit on Christmas! :(

As for damage, I suspect closer to 3K range. Nothing you hardly see is automatic $500!

I would get an alignment for sure as well, insist on it.

I would make sure all your electrical items work well, Mirror, Locks, Window Motor, etc from the door where hit.

I don't think depreciated value will apply if the damage is little. You will have to wait to see what the Dealer comes in with as a Quote, And make sure you USE a Toyota Dealership for repair. No second hand shop! You want genuine Toyota parts as well.

You can specify that in the estimate.

Let us know how you make out. Don't forget rental reimbursement for the days it's in the Body shop and Paint Department...

1 person likes this.
  4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I presume the car is driveable so probably just cosmetic damage. You'll have to add a badge & maybe a wheel. The attached file discusses diminuition--don't expect much. NY has jurisdiction. Finding a good body shop is more important than finding a dealer--and not all dealers have body shops.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.