1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrome wheel skins

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lori 08, Apr 15, 2009.

1. GStephan

GStephan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never seen the chrome stock rims before.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like these so much, it's worth bumping this thread with another picture.

Here's how the Chrome Wheel Skins (and new sunroof) look from my mom's balcony:

[​IMG]

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo, thanks for announcing the arrival of my chrome wheel skins. I was dead slack in not reporting that on this thread. Landed in Adelaide the chrome wheel skins cost $177.00 AU, so postage is about as much as the parts. I love them, they look excellent!

Attached Files:

5. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought some chrome wheel skins from Suburban on eBay for my non-Toyota product. They fit great and shipped fast. I can vouch for Suburban, they're legit.

6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo and patsparks, you're about to drive me to buying these silly hubcaps. I took off the stockers and am running just the naked rims, but I do like the look of the chrome. Plus they're dirt cheap compared to having the stockers chromed, and probably weigh less than the chrome would add.

Now, Boo, if I could just get someone to do your sunroof on my car for dirt cheap. That looks absolutely factory! I wonder if painting the roof black would add to it on my silver car, or would just bee too much. Hmmm....

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Lewis, can't help you with a sunroof for cheap (or for any price given where you live).

But yes those chrome wheel skins are cheap ($69.98 delivered at 2005-2009 TOYOTA PRIUS 15" CHROME WHEELSKINS HUBCAPS:eBay Motors (item 360171629682 end time Aug-16-09 09:35:17 PDT)).

And sweet. You know, ever since I got them, it's really hard for me to even think that wheels or wheel covers should be anything but chrome.

It's like staring at your eyebrows in the mirror ... no matter how nice your eyebrows are, if you keep staring at them, eventually they'll look like they don't belong on your face.

Now, I can't even look at the nicest silver painted alloy wheels without thinking that they don't look right, that they really should be chrome.

The other thing about chrome wheels or wheel covers: They look a LOT better when they're dirty than silver colored alloy wheels look when dirty. It's almost like the difference between a dirty white car and a dirty black car.

8. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I am going to place an order for these. I saw another Prius with chrome stockers and it pushed me over the edge. I tried the Scion 17's but MPG went to you know where, 40 mpg combined from 51. These seem to have the look of an "upgraded" wheel without the weight.

9. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo! No, not you, Boo, but BOO! Wait, this isn't working...

Yes, I agree - my eye brows do not belong on your face. :eyebrows: Or something like that.

And which looks better dirty - black or white? I've had about every color in the over 60 cars I've owned, and neither black nor white are great at hiding dirt. In this sandy area where I live the champaigne color works about the best - silver is next.

But I agree about silver wheels. They are close to looking dull when clean.

I have a fundamental problem with hubcaps, being an ex-mechanical engineer. Something about liking function over form, I guess. If I get these I hope the mileage goes up over my stockers with the stock covers taken off - at least I can convince myself I did something functional with the change. And they ARE lighter than taking off the nice, light stockers and replacing them with nice looking (but heavier) aftermarket rims.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mark,

Check out this place on eBay Canada. Supposedly, they'll sell and ship them to you for $96.60 Canadian dollars total (C $59.03 + C $37.57 shipping = C $96.60). Seems reasonable if it's true:

New and used prius wheel covers, Automotive on eBay.ca

TOYOTA PRIUS 04 05 06 07 08 HUB CAPS TRIM WHEEL COVERS on eBay.ca (item 380155740756 end time 04-Oct-09 16:04:09 EDT)

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Touring 16" Chrome Wheel Covers

Looks like someone may have chrome wheel covers for the Touring Edition Prius 7-spoke 16" wheel (although I'm suspicious of the description's reference to the Touring 16" wheel as being a steel wheel ... so I wonder if the clips are in the right place for the Touring 16" alloy wheel), and they're only $61.97 with free shipping:

TOYOTA PRIUS CHROME HUBCAPS WHEEL COVERS 16" 2007 2008:eBay Motors (item 360193203310 end time Oct-04-09 02:03:35 PDT)

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another photo:

[​IMG]

My love for the Chrome Wheelskins/Imposters grows stronger every day. :love: :rapture:

Notice the matching chrome door handles!

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night or this morning, someone stole my two driver's side chrome wheel skins while my car was parallel parked with the driver's side facing the street.

Don't know why they didn't steal my passenger side wheel skins as well. Maybe because I was parked about a half inch or less from the curb, and the curb made it more difficult to steal the passenger side covers quickly.

15. georgegoldberg

georgegoldberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Do you know if the wheel skins will fit the new 2012 Plug In Prius?