1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrysler bailout cost 1.3b

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by spiderman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope. Do expect that people would stop buying cars. That they would say "I only buy Chryslers, if I can't get one, I'll walk." I don't.

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    USPS currently has a $10B deficit. The $208B figure appears to be a 10-year estimate.

2 people like this.
  3. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Doesn't change facts, sadly that is one of the main problems currently, facts. Fact is, that in less then one week in Iraq or Afghanistan, we spend more then it cost to save 100's of thousands of Americans, yet we would rather spend it on ungrateful people. If there was no Iraq and Afghanistan, it would still be worth it, that $1.3 Billion adds 10's of Billions to the economy, instead of 10's of billions paying unemployment.

4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for reminding me that I pay for those GD "Our crap wagons are American, can't you smell the power and road rage?" commercials.

5. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

6. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Completely correct, typo I intended to enter 8b not 208B.

Thats what I get for looking at spreadsheets and trying to comment here at the same time.

Thanks for the catch! :)

7. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where do you think those billions spent on war end up? In the pockets of Iraqis and Afghanis? It goes to paying American Soldiers, their widows, their doctors and therapists, American arms merchants, etc. And of course, oil companies.

[Yes, it still isn't worth it.]

9. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why is it that any time government waste is mentioned it's compared to what the "war" cost (not that it is a war, it’s a police action and nation building experiment). This is why nothing gets solved; we spend all our time as a nation comparing this to that and bickering about what subject is worse. :focus:

The Government should not be involved in saving business; they make it or don’t base on their policies and decisions. Had they left it alone the economy and the auto industry would have corrected itself by now. Suppliers and vendors would have found other customers, closed or re-tooled for other products. That’s called business, if your entire business is based on one product for another company YOU take that risk of it closing and taking you out. It’s not the tax payers place to have to step in and save you because you have all your eggs in one basket. Unemployment should never have been raised to 99 weeks! There are jobs out there now. PPL won't work if they don't have to, and paying them for 99 weeks to do nothing but look for a job that pays more than what they had or the same as what they had in this econemy is the problem not the solution.

10. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Because the world and this country is not black and white, we are not defined as a nation of haters and do nothingers, we have grown, our people have created a better place and country, our standard of living is still the best, going down now though. That didn't happen because we said "let it be the survival of the fittest", we added the GI Bill, woman's rights, civil rights, Social Security, Medicare, Unemployment, Welfare, built massive infrastructures, and on and on, all that brought up our standard of living to what it is today.

We are on a path now to try to destroy all that, to become a survival of the fittest economy again, whole families working to try to live, family members having to quit jobs so they can take care of mom, dad, grandma or grandpa, probably get to child labor again, all so the wealthy can laugh and enjoy how they destroyed the Middle Class, and the Middle Class helped them do it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just read that chrysler lost 350 million.

12. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hmm, to that i'd say it's consumer choice, not the manufacturer's fault. they build what we demand. Alcohol is arguably "bad for us" but we know how prohibition turned out.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The manufacture works with advertising professionals to make us believe we need a big giant high HP vehicle. It's all about marketing and a bit of ignorance on the part of the consumer that has got us into this mess. :)

If more people were required to take advanced science classes then things would be a lot easier.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love your last sentence, should be mandatory for graduation.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or advanced marketing classes... ;):)

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what started this mess. :p

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. The requirement for graduation from my high school which was one of the top in the country was Algebra II and 2 years of science classes like physics/chemistry/biology. The requirements for graduation from my university for L.A.S. students (the "arts") was Algebra II equivalent and 6 credit hours of science in which "physics for business majors" was acceptable. They shot tennis balls out of a ball shooter at a certain speed, were given the equations for distance and told to calculate it...

I did Algebra 2 in 5th grade at my charter academy.

18. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Oh Brother, stop drinking the cool-aid..........:rolleyes:

19. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

How about advanced classes in anything, instead of buying degrees.

1 person likes this.
  20. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    After so many years, what does Chrysler have to compete with the Prius, Volt or Leaf? And if they can't handle efficiency, then what about small? Where is their competitor to the Fiesta, Yaris and Jazz? Ford and GM has answered the call, and since Chrysler has such a great tie in with Fiat, then what about bringing over the Punto, Panda or Lancia models instead of only a super high trim level of the 500?

When I look at Chrysler it is as if they aren't even trying.

(Now it's time to answer my post and tell me that Chrysler is indeed doing all this and I'm simply uninformed. Please. I really like crazy stuff like the PT cruiser!)