1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrysler battery-less hybrids announced

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    and heavy ... to the point of worthless.

2. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So when you PRESSURIZE the water with your thumb...

Agreed, absolutely.

But what is the "medium", carrier, of my thumb pressure on the water that results in those air bubbles being compressed, and remain compressed, even though quite distant down in the water from my thumb...?

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The water IS the medium. Since it cannot decrease in volume when pressure is applied, something else that can decrease in volume will (the air bubbles), since it is a gas that can change volume (PV=nRT).

4. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "...Since it cannot decrease in volume.."

Then how come the bubbles compress, what is the "medium" that carries my thumb pressure through the water to compress the air bubbles.

Water volume grows with heat, agreed..?

Then would water volume grow with a decrease in atmospheric pressure..?

If that is true then wouldn't water volume also decrease with higher atmospheric pressure..?

5. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Liquid water does not change in volume.

Water molecules will occupy larger volume only if it has been phase-changed to a gas (steam) due to boiling or decrease in atmospheric pressure, or to a solid (ice) when the crystal latticework forms.

Liquid water is volume-stable. It will not decrease in volume in higher atmospheric pressure.

And since the volume of liquid water cannot change without a phase change, it makes a good transmitting medium for pressure force.

6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, only to add, there is a very slight change in volume when heated, as any other material.
    Properties of water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That should be an incredible "new" approach: power-assisted steering has just began electric, air cond also. If it is to have comfort during shut-off of the main ICE, will the hydraulics feed those systems? Come on, Chrysler, does efficiency and costs improve with this solution? IMHO, no.

Citroën has done something similar in the ID/DS 50 years ago. Multiple systems working from the same hydraulics and control: suspension, steering and braking. The result: most classic car owners avoid those models.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So.....you should give up the brakes on your Prius? The car doesn't brake using unicorns, lollipops, and puppy sneezes...

9. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    good luck finding space for it.

underneath the current minvan, from back to front, its filled by the hiding third row seat, gas tank, then the spare tire.

somethings gotta go

10. sunvia

sunvia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chrysler should have gone bankrupt....and stayed there....i have a caravan...it hauls what i need moved, but the quality isn't there..
    I have owned cars from gm, ford, chrysler, porsche, austin-healey, nissan,honda, toyota,,, and would rate the chrysler line as lowest of all in quality.... Toyota was a joke when it introduced the toyopet many years ago,,,, honda had the cvcc which looked like a shoe..... But look at them now.....where were the american engineers while the japanese were designing all the good cars we have today:? I think most americans would rather drive american cars if they were comparable with the foreign cars......but that hasn't happened.....most don't remember 1973 when we waited in long lines to get gas.....or the 1940's when we had to use gas stamps to get our quota of gas... You'd think
    our engineers would have learned, but now we owe our souls to the foreign automakers

11. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, this is very cool!
    I hope that it works out for them and at an affordable price.

12. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    compressed air car in france.

there is a vid somewhere for one from india

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It actually runs on butterfly farts which are very expensive to gather in useful quantities.

14. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Of course not. But the post also mentioned a hydraulic CVT. For that I'm more than happy to stick to my PSD/MG1/MG2 combo. Nothing smoother on the road outside of a pure EV... and without the usual clutches, torque converters, etc.