1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrysler group unveils first hybrids at LA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chrysler group excitedly announced further details of their first mainstream hybrid production vehicles this week. The full sized Aspen and Durango SUV's are powered by HEMI engines- but are now available with a hybrid drive system that helps improve overall fuel efficiency by over 25%.

"The new 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango HEMI Hybrid vehicles will offer our customers the sought-after blend of performance, utility, capability and vastly improved fuel economy -- all in one package," said Frank Klegon, Executive Vice President of Product Development at Chrysler. "Combined with Chrysler's Multi-displacement System (MDS), our advanced, two-mode hybrid technology immediately delivers a more than 25 percent fuel economy improvement to our full-size SUVs -- and up to a 40 percent improvement in the city."

Full Article

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 18 2007, 02:13 AM) [snapback]541161[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a bit overweight...say, I weigh 400lbs.

Good news!! I just lost 25% of my total body weight!!

That's 100lbs.!!

I still weigh 300lbs., and am morbidly obese.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 17 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]541170[/snapback]</div>

Whoo-hoo. The same company that brought us the K-car, Iaccocas revenge of the mini van, the Pt Cruiser! The same company who hired the ex ceo of home depot aka "Home Depot, paradise for nose picking employees. The company that Daimler couldn't GIVE away fast enough. You bet I will run out and buy a high tech car from a company with such a track record.

Icarus

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icarus @ Nov 17 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]541174[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, this is the first fruit of the joint venture with GM for hybrid power train development. Each of the participants (GM, Chrysler (and Benz by virtue of its ownership at the time of Chrysler; notice that Benz kept access to the Intellectual Property when it sold (gave away) Chrysler...), and BMW) got access to the powertrain technology from the effort. BMW and Mercedes are going to be releasing hybrids based on the jointly developed technology. The real challenge for each of them is to go on a diet (5,800 lbs for the Tahoe/Yukon is a bit much). Higher fuel economy standards seem to be the only way to 'encourage' such an effort. And, just coincidentally, higher fuel economy has the added benefit of reducing carbon emissions as well.

5. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is that 16 to 20 or 20 to 25? Either way it will be overpriced so they can say "See, Americans don't want these things."

6. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PearlDriver @ Nov 18 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]541372[/snapback]</div>
    Your cynicism is disgusting.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    EPA figures for the gas-only Durango are 13/18. Figuring an average of 16 MPG, that means that a 25% increase would amount to 4 so a Durango hybrid will give you 20 MPG. If you're one of the many aggressive jerks on the road who normally get 12 mpg with a Durango, the 25% increase will give them 15 MPG. Since MPG relies as on how your drive, it's variable. The endless debate. Some will say a 25% increase in lousy mileage isn't much. Others will say that it's a start or better than nothing; that at least they're improving and that's a good thing. Eighty percent of Toyota's hybrid sales are Prius sales. Most people who buy a vehicle like the Durango aren't interested in saving 4 mpg. That's especially true when Dodge begins to sell the hybrid and gets people buying gas-only with a $5000 cash back incentive and the dealership doesn't have any hybrids on the lot. They still don't have a hybrid that competes with the Prius. The reality is that they won't sell many hybrid Durangos and the vast majority of hybrid buyers will buy a Prius. The bottom line is that despite the pro arguments for the Durango hybrid, nothing's really changed much.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't drive SUVs.

So if I don't want an Aspen or a Durango...what hybrid do they have to offer me?

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 19 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]541435[/snapback]</div>
    Note that NONE of the low MPG hybrids are selling well to date. The high MPG hybrids (e.g. Prius and Civic) are the ones I and many other buyers want (although a High MPG AWD is what I need).

JeffD

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Nov 20 2007, 05:46 AM) [snapback]541911[/snapback]</div>
    Escape Hybrid?

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 20 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]541970[/snapback]</div>
    The Escape is not a high mileage hybrid. Lots of normal cars will beat its rated mpgs.