1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrysler Pacifica Plug in - First one I've seen in the real world.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by farmecologist, Feb 4, 2019.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    A coworker just bought a Chrysler Pacifica Plugin.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid - Competitive Compare

I'm not a big fan of Chrysler but I'll admit that it does look pretty impressive and they seem to have hit all the major ticky marks. Electric range is 33 miles. Battery warranty is 10 years or 100K miles.

Has anyone else seen any of these in the wild? Apparently he got a good deal on it as well.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe @hill has one.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep ... saw one in the wild just last night, while I was putting the carpool stickers on it.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing uglier than purple with white trim border ....
    EPA is pretty right on, with their efficiency #'s. Even as lead-footed as my better ½ is - she still hits the epa combined efficiency claims;
    20190201_133505-1.jpg
    About ½ of her driving is in standard hybrid mode where the V6 engine kicks on here & there, & the other ½ of her driving is straight Electric. Thus - her combined dash readout of 58mpg - after driving over 2,000 miles. Personally, I do love the self-parking, heated ventilated leather seats, adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel, and being able to haul even more than we did in the model X. Although the rear third row drops below the floor, in the plug-in version, the middle row won't do that. However, quick release locking mechanisms make it so that the middle row can be pulled out in less than a minute. Then it's cavernous.

tapatalk_jpeg_1542417904774.jpg

Never shy about sharing the downside, I really really hate their phone interface software, "Uconnect" .... bur that's just me. Running a custom Android ROM, with lots of non-Google approved apps, one can quickly discover much better mapping programs, texting programs, video programs and the like, as well as removing the Google programs & having the joy of deleting all the bloatware junk you hate. Problem is, Uconnect demands your phone to not have root, AND have all of the Google approved / latest versions that Uconnect demands you have. Fortunately there's a workaround for those issues, it's just that you have to unload and reload every time you want the features to run on the minivan.
    The only feature we have yet to use, & it will probably only used for driving grandkids around, are the 2 video screens -built into the back side of the driver & front passenger row seats.

#3 hill, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Zythryn, wjtracy and farmecologist like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I’ve seen a few. Amazing considering they’re very expensive in Canada. $51,995 for the Touring Plus all the way to $57,495 for the Limited before $1,995 freight/PDI (destination charge) and other fees, and taxes (5-15% depending on province or territory). And before EV rebates ($5,000-$8,000)

Raytheeagle and farmecologist like this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stealerships must have some serious ability with wiggle room, as we got our Limited for nearly $5K below MSRP. SO .... with fed & Cali kickbacks it was still below mid $30's - even after paying $3,300 sales tax. It was so low - we couldn't match/beat it with a used one.

farmecologist likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Wow yeah looks like you got a deal alright! Looks like a very interesting vehicle.

What is the MPG of the engine? ( i.e. - for road trips and such )? I think I read 32?

Also, all rear seats fold into the floor...correct?

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As posted above, 3rd row goes into the floor, middle row has quick-release devices making for real quick removal. Just flip the levers & toss 'em out. My wife brought 2 recliner chairs (still in their cardboard boxes) back home from the furnature store in that space just a few days ago. Should have taken a picture.

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve seen a few out here;).

But not surprising given the car pool lanes are full of phev’s:).

Even saw 2 Mirai’s today(y).

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea iirc the charge sustain / hybrid mode blended city/hwy is 32/33 ..... ev is mid 80's MPGe. I took a screenshot of the dash yesterday, at around 2,400 miles so far. We run about 50/50 between charge sustain mode & exhausting the 33 ev miles - for an average above 61 MPG. (up 2 or 3mpg over the last couple hundred miles)

20190219_160236.jpg

This kind of represents what a full sized pickup truck would get as a plug-in hybrid, if one of the stinking manufacturers would ever get around to building it. I would have never guessed a gaser this big could get such economy.

#9 hill, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We are taking our 1st interstate trip starting Wednesday through Sunday. So it will be mostly high-speed - fully loaded & running the ice. Will post what the mileage gets dragged down to when running on standard CS/hybrid mode. That said, during the past week, the efficiency is still creeping up. Kinda crazy

20190224_185427_HDR-1.jpg
    woo hoo!
    iduno how they do it ....

Raytheeagle and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exasperating update. Possibly hinted in another post, we got back into California from our 1st interstate trip, but we never exactly made it home in the Plugin Pacifica - not as we'd planned. Seems as though a very inattentive Tailgater (texting ?) didn't notice 40 rows of red taillights coming on quickly from construction. We stopped quickly and still had about 4' remaining behind the stopped car in front of us. One second later? Bam, the gray Dodge slammed into us.

20190303_131727-1.jpg
    (what an idiot)
    Better ½, takes an ambulance ride to the ER for a broken toe, & various pains.
    While waiting in the ER, yours truly made arrangements (on turo) to rent a virtually identical (even the same color) Pacifica plugin.

But this sucker, with all of its hard driven - rental / user trips .... / roughly 2 years of driving (2016), has quite the impressive average mileage - and this thing has almost 24K miles on it.;
    20190318_142355_HDR-1~2-1.jpg
    Notice also, the full charge capacity is still at or above its stated range of 33 miles. .... and this, with a relatively coo & rainy winter for SoCal.

Anyway, back to the plot. Just prior to leaving on our 980 mile trip, I managed to get one last shot showing how high the all-electric range was;
    66.5 mpg !!
    20190227_163806-1~2-1.jpg

Ir was only convenient to charge 3 times during the 1 week + trip. Mileage got down to around 45 MPG. So we filled up for the 1st time, in over 3,500 miles id driving. Ours has been in the shop now for nearly two weeks, and won't know the exact amount of miles we put on it until it gets back. The dope the hit us had State Farm, as do we. Unfortunately, it's tougher to get what's due to you in such circumstances because insurance companies don't go after their self. For example, there's an algorithm to determine diminished value of any vehicle once it has been in a collision. Back-of-the-napkin, for the plugin Pacifica, with it's damaged rear end, multiplied by newness & low mileage - we're likely going to have to go to small claims to collect the $5,000 + diminished value that will now show up on Carfax. All in all, we're just grateful to be alive & reasonably healthy after the 'vent'.

#11 hill, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  12. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear you're both safe, @hill !

hill likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great mileage. Grr to the inattentive driver. Glad to hear the injuries were minor to non-existent.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Time for a quicky plug in Pacifica 6,000 mile efficiency update. It's the daily driver for my better ½ - and it averaged 52ish combined MPGe.

20190727_120752-1.jpg

It's a November 2018 year end purchase - so now it's 8 months old .... meaning it's being driven 750 miles/month average. Previously - when i was driving it more often , it'd get the over-all MPG's up into the low 60's. But now days between the hyper-mile'ing O.C.D. of yours truly every once in a while - & the heavy foot of the better ½ driving it the most .... yea - 52mpg is a safe bet that many owners can achieve 50+mpg combined city/hwy.
    Only problem so far ... the center arm-rest that has slide out compartments underneath, front & back .... the rear compartment jammed so it wouldn't either open or close for anyone other than the Hulk, or a football lineman. Other than that, with all its amenities - it meets our expectations - so far.
    There's a YouTube DIY video that will allow the rear camera of most any modern car to be projected onto the multi-function display full time - like our model X did. That's on the 'wana do that' list. One unusual characteristic noticed in the plugin Pacifica. By comparison, if you put your foot into it while driving a Chevy Volt, it will derive all power from the battery until the battery is in CS mode. On the other hand, when Mrs leadfoot puts her foot into it while driving the Pacifica (even if the traction pack is full), the atkinson V6 kicks in above 154kW's battery draw & delivers an additional ~45kW .... which ultimately means the traction pack doesn't take as hard a hit as it otherwise would - if designed to run Chevy Volt wise. Don't know if that's necessarily good or bad, just interesting, as once the ice is running, it has to warm up it's catalytic converter and such.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sales are looking good!(y)

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Decent reviews too, regarding reliability / quality from the auto blog O sphere ... Fiat must be keeping their meddling influence to a minimum.