1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cigarette Lighter / 12v power socket location(s)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sitting Duc, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Sitting Duc

Sitting Duc Feathered Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello

I'm looking over the cabin of my shiny new Prius and I'm having issues locating the "cigarette lighter" socket.
    • I know there's one inside the centre console, next to the aux input (where fitted)
    • But I figure there has to be a second one on the dash, somewhere
    • This is an NZ (/AU?) model, so I might be wrong there
    I've seen a couple of posts describing it as being "below the glove boxes", but I've looked around under there and nothing leaps out and says "I'm a rubber cap covering a 12V socket"; so it's either hiding (stealth, like the engine?) ;) or absent :(

What I would love is if some kind person(s) can:
    • Post a definite "there is only one on the NZ (/AU?) model"
    • Post or point to photos showing clearly where the dash-mounted socket is hiding
    A nice clear photo would let me check my car and verify the presence or absence on my car.
    Thanks in advance.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the only photo I have on hand that shows the power point location....
    Look at the very bottom of the picture just under the silver vent cover to the right of the radio. You can see where I have something plugged into the outlet.
    [​IMG]

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to emphasize in case you still had problems finding it.

[​IMG]

4. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sitting Duc @ Oct 15 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]525776[/snapback]</div>
    There is only one on the NZ/AU/JDM (rhd?) models.

5. Sitting Duc

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Oct 16 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]526056[/snapback]</div>
    Having checked the photos, I am forced to agree with you.

[attachmentid=12060]

On the upside I'm not completely blind and thus merely missed the obvious.
    On the downside, I can now only power one accessory at a time, and the centre console socket is too far from the windscreen, anyway..

We need to petition Toyota to create a blend of all the International versions of this very nice car; and in so doing create the best of all the versions! :)

now.. which is stronger..
    • my desire to keep the car, and thus the warranty intact
    • my desire to have a Radar Detector AND an MP3 player recharging at the same time
    Thank you for your prompt replies.

Attached Files:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sitting Duc @ Oct 16 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]526245[/snapback]</div>
    They make inexpensive splitters that will allow you to use a single power point with 2 devices....
    http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Ou...t/dp/B0002KR4PC
    [​IMG]

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not have another lighter socket installed under the dash? I'm sure it wouldn't cost the earth. You could have a go at it yourself if you feel so inclined. It won't affect your warranty but make sure the socket has a fuse in the circuit.

8. Sitting Duc

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 17 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]526273[/snapback]</div>
    I've gone one better and got a model with a cable between the plug and the sockets; so I can move the socket closer to the dash and thus solve two problems at once (the cable on my existing radar detector not being long enough to reach the centre console anyway).
    Will investigate into sneaking cables around in the car as I go. :)

patsparks: I could just wire a new socket off a spare point in the fuse box; but my car is still Shiny and New, and I want to preserve that feeling as long as I can :)

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sitting Duc @ Oct 15 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]525776[/snapback]</div>
    A Prius owner concerned with a CIGARETTE lighter! Surely you jest. I think it is referred to as a 12 Volt utility outlet in green circles.
    Gary ( a reformed smoker... the worst kind) B)

10. Sitting Duc

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Certainly I wouldn't use this handy power outlet for a heating element. My car still has a slight 'new car' smell, and I ain't letting cigarette smoke near it!

But what other name lets everyone else know exactly what you mean?
    auxiliary, 12v, outlet, output, socket, jack, power, ...
    String enough keywords together and you might find a few posts on the topic with the search function.

Having said that, looking at the extended-outlet-thingie I bought, the construction is such that if you did put a heating element in it, it would probably melt/catch fire :)

Take care, smoke free (and that goes for your car too!)