1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cigarette Lighter: Keeping it running

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by DragonflyDM, Dec 4, 2013.

1. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is there any way to keep the cigarette lighter sockets working without starting the car? There are times I just want to charge my phone or keep the seat warmer on.

I would even be happy if I could turn the car on and lock the doors while I run in someplace.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota sized the 12 volt battery small as it never started the engine.

Sadly this means if you use it with the car off, it often goes dead.

To minimize this Toyota tries to prevent you from drawing power except in Ready.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Charging the phone - yes.
    Seat heater - never.

You can start the car and leave it on, lock the doors with the mechanical key and leave it running, take the fob with you.

4. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was afraid of that. There are times when I am traveling distances in the winter. I have my dog. You want to run into the rest stop and get something to eat, or run into the grocery story and buy something-- etc. I don't want to leave my dog (even with his winter thermal fleece) in the car for 30 minutes or so without heat if I could help it. I am looking into battery run heating blankets and heaters.

I thought about the leaving the car on-- but someone said that was illegal. I don't know why. I could see how it would put me at risk with someone trying to steal the car.

I have slept in the car on the road with the heater on-- it worked fine. The engine only turns on when needed and I burned very little fuel. Leave the windows a crack or so for oxygen exchange and great--- but that is whenI am in the car.

5. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I keep the iPhone charger battery about half the size of the cigarette pack in the console. This already saved me a few times and I can take both the iPhone and the charger along with me. The drawback is that I have to remember to recharge the battery every few months at home or if I have a long drive, I can charge it from the car. About $25.00

6. LaComrade

LaComrade New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check this out

Attached Files: