1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cigarette smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davids_rv, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

naterprius, I understand what you're saying about taking away from the value of the car. But, it only takes away a personal value. If you go to KBB or Edmunds and value a car, it never asks about smoking when valuing the price of a car. Only that the interior is in good, excellent shape, etc...cigarette smoke is not permanent. It won't devalue the car from an insurance standpoint, only a personal standpoint. Just simply have the car cleaned, the filters replaced and go on with it. Actually, some don't think it works, but the ionic breeze car unit you can buy from Sharper Image does work to freshen up the car. It's about 40 bucks...David can buy one of those and charge the dealer for it citing the fact that it's one of the only ways to get that smell completely out of the Prius in a "timely manner". He has many options, but insurance isn't one of them, nor is a replacement vehicle. He can have the dealer pay for a replacement rental while his Prius is being professionally cleaned, but that's really the extent of it.

Dave.

2. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Perhaps approach the Mechanic in question, if a smoker, prior to doing work on your car and say: "See my car? See this carton of smokes? (buy the guy a carton of his fav cigs). This is a little something to say thanks for not smoking one drag in my auto, as good as you probably work with a smoke now and then! I really appreciate you understanding this for me!"

eh? no? lol..

3. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HYACK\";p=\"99883)</div>
    I like your diplomatic approach to the situation...very nice

Dave.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like that approach in general, but I will never buy a pack of cigarette for him or anyone else...like buying heroin for an addict IMO.

But I might buy him a pack of nicorette gum and suggest he chew that while working on my car in lieu of the cigarettes!! I could live with that solution.

5. HYACK

HYACK New Member

efusco, believe me, doc... the smell of that smoke, costs to our health care and butts flicked to the ground without a care absolutely disgusts me...

but we're talking about my Prius here ;)

(actually, I made the deal on my newly arrived vehicle on Friday and after Leather and other mods are installed, am looking to pick it up (i've decided not to name my Prius, lol) by this coming Friday.)

woohoo.

regards,

6. Red Solitaire

Red Solitaire New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not quite the thread I was hoping for... I'll keep searching.

My complaint is that I can smell a "smoky" odor inside my 08, and no one has ever smoked in the car. I used to smoke cigs, years ago, and I would immediately notice if the car smelled like cig smoke after a service app't. This odor is a little different, but definitely noticeable.

7. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Old post, I recognize it as such.
    We live in a litigious society, but I promise you, your school district wasn't worried about you suing them because "your" classroom smelled like smoke. That's laughable.
    Equally laughable is you actually posting that a cigarette burn in your seat would net you a replacement car plus extras. It would get you a replacement non burnt part, I'm sure. Probably some free oil changes. Maybe a couple hundred bucks if you squawk loudly enough. (I get the impression you would.)
    I hope that in the four + years since this post that you've mellowed out some. :rolleyes: