1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Circuit board number and red light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jbct, Jun 25, 2018.

1. jbct

jbct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello, I bought a 2008 but it only came with one key fob. I certainly am not going to pay $100 - 200 for a second one; $50 is more my price range, like on Ebay. They rarely come up on Ebay. I found one retail seller with reaonably priced fobs but for the 2008 he said, "Will not work with red light key fob" which mine is. I see some other 's that show a white light in the corner where my red light blinks. My question is - is the red light key fob connected to a certain number on the circuit board? Apparently you have to have a match on that circuit board number in order for a second fob to match yours. Since I only have one fob, I don't want to open it if I don't have to (open an electronic can of worms) but would getting that circuit board number be the only way I can be assured of an exact match - to be programmed?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard that before, but maybe. not sure about the lights, could white mean non sks? i have never had one.
    usually they talk about silver or black logo.

you have to open the fob to change the battery, so i wouldn't worry about that.

there are lots of fob threads here to educate yourself, all the best!(y)

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can self program a new fob for free using instructions online, new fob will be around $110 online.

Used fobs need to have special programming from a dealer at $130/hr.

You do the math

4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just curious, @jbct , did you get your 2nd key fob? (life is scary without it!)

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Okay so my fob on my 2009 I was given two fobs when I got the two fobs I know one I was using and the other one the red light came on but at the time I got the car I didn't use the second fob to unlock the car or try to start it. I washed the remote that I used a few weeks ago that I've been using for the last 2 years it worked after the wash 48 hours later no more red light. But I can still insert it in the slot and it sees the chip and starts the car but no one lock and lock except with the key not even the outdoor buttons will work I think the board is shot in the remote. But that other chip that works the SKS part of the car or the alarm is a transponder situation and doesn't need power. I have the numbers of both of the boards out of the remote both of the transponders and they're not the same numbers that's why I'm gambling they don't both go to this car the one I'm using does. And one remote has a decal above the battery cover the one I'm using the one I'm not using and was given is an SKS silver remote but has no sticker. So my question is with the sticker number the number on the board which is on the big white part above the battery or below it however you're looking at it and the number on the transponder are there aftermarket places that can just get me a fob that works or what has to happen I know the transponder chip that does the starting part or turns off the red key is like my motorcycle if you don't have that transponder chip you're finished. I have one transponder chip I believe my guy in Maine may be able to clone that I'll have to see but I was wondering more about the board in the remote locks and unlocks the car keep in mind it is SKS I don't know how much that changes the board I thought SKS just basically piggy back the transponder onto the regular Prius type remote. And added buttons on the outside of the car so when you walk up with remote in pocket the buttons will respond.?

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope. The SKS and RFID (immobilizer) parts are completely separate. If the button part of your one working fob is now dead then you have an "all keys lost" scenario as far as SKS goes. You would have to reseed and program fobs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.