1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cited for using car pool lane on SF Bay Bridge !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gurmail, Feb 19, 2006.

1. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have specific information for this:

This Saturday, February 25, I, too used the Bay Bridge. Seeing I-580 jammed back to the 24 interchange, I switched to using surface streets and entered the bridge via West Grand-I-880 ramps. A ramp leads off to the right to join the 'Bus Only' lanes originating from I-80 West. The initial signs for the ramp are CALTRANS R92's ('Busses Only' over a line; 'Carpools OK' with a list of hours allowed (Weekday peak hours)). However, right at the ramp split, there is an R93A ("VEHICLES WITH DMV CLEAN AIR DECAL OK") on the pole below the R92. Note that there is no mention of any time limits on that sign.

Seeing that sign, I moved from the absolutely stopped Fastrak lane onto the offramp and proceeded to use the Bus lane through the toll plaza. I did see a van or SUV stopped on the island between these lanes and the next lanes and slowed a bit, but no one pulled me over. (By the way, there was no jam from there through the end of the crossing).

My reference to the sign codes is from the Caltrans Sign Manual page 50. Looking further through the manual, the R93A is recommended for use with other Carpool signs, but not the R92.

It seems to me that a person seeing that combination of signs can resonably conclude that a vehicle with a Clean Air Vehicle sticker (and the hybrid sticker does say that), can use that bus lane at any time. It may not be what the regulators intended, but we can only go by what the posted signs say.

I urge you to recheck the signs on I-80 approaching from Emeryville and also recheck the sign from the right side of the I-880 approach (the one I ended up using). I think that you can make your case based on this.

If you want to phone me, I am listed.

1 person likes this.
  2. madebymarco

madebymarco New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Cited for using car pool lane on SF Bay Bridge !!

I accidentally passed the bus lane today and I didnt had the chance to pay for toll.

do you think they were able to take a photo of my car and will I get a violation?

thanks