1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

City Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by IanIanIanIan, Oct 29, 2013.

1. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    In the UK the PiP has 'City Mode' which holds off using the engine whilst in EV more than usual so the car may be used in 'Electric vehicle only' areas.

My journeys up to today have been:
    1. short with heating switched off and in City mode or
    2. long so I have turned the heating on and just run in EV and HV.

Today it is cool so for the first time I drove in City mode with the heating on.

Firstly, I find I cannot set City mode until the ICE has been through its warming cycle.

Secondly, after a few miles the ICE comes on again to warm the cabin and to my surprise I am kicked out of City mode.

Thirdly, again to my surprise, City mode does not re-engage automaticly when the ICE stops so I have to push the button again and so on for the trip until the EV battery is emptied.

What use is City mode if it unusable in Winter? It really needs to stay engaged whilst in EV whatever the ICE does or at least automaticly reselect.

2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are in 'all electric area' you cannot use cabin heat anyways or you will break the law.
    If you want to use 'EV city' in other areas then yes, this mode is only a remedy for accidentally triggering the ICE with the accelerator pedal (which is more sensitive in cold weather) and yes, it is only engaged manually (and beep warning you on disengagement). Wear coat and gloves and use seat heater if you do not want the ICE to come on.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so you want to stay in ev but have the ice run to provide heat? sounds like my pip.:cool:

4. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Not quite. I want, as the best option, for the car to stay in City whatever the conditions when selected locking out the ICE. Or for a second choice, as a minimum after switching out to allow the ICE to run (why does it have to switch out?) it should switch back in automaticly when the ICE stops.

It seems odd that City mode allows the ICE to run whilst in a 'Zero Emissions Zone' and incur a fine.