1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Civic Hybrid, don't buy one: here's why:

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by seangerner, Jan 10, 2009.

1. scottyfon

scottyfon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hate to say this, but my Prius did the same thing. Batteries OK, motor OK, and both were correct. I had a dragging brake caused by a broken wire from the drivers side front antilock sensor. (Prius does poorly in snow, so I used tire chains, which broke, then a piece of chain flinging around broke the wire which is just inboard of the tire and a couple inches away.) That skewed out the calibrations for braking force to each wheel. One wheel's brake dragging caused my mileage to drop from 42-46 mpg down to 32-36. Something is eating energy, obviously, and you haven't mentioned brakes yet, which eat energy. Check your brake pad wear, jack up the car and spin the wheels by hand. I bet you find the problem: one wheel won't spin by hand because the brake won't release properly. Loosen the bleeder and let the pressure out. Now it spins. Turn on the ignition and press the brakes. Locked wheel again. I soldered the broken wire and that fixed it. The wires are fragile and can be torn apart by driving over a stick or hitting a rabbit on the roadway... common where I live. So, common too is the problem you describe. My dealer's mechanics were too silly to find it too. The local brake shop guy found it during a brake job after the pads wore out on the errant wheel. Go figure, right?

2. HIvolt

HIvolt New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Adric22,

I am in agreement with your comments on this thread. I think that these car companies that produce Hybrid cars should make available as part of the owner's manual a DVD showing different examples of how to drive their hybrid cars and get the same or better than what the EPA rating is for the car. I would even go further and have a simulator of the hybrid involved and have the car owner drive the simulator as they would drive their car and right there you can see if there is a problem with the car or the driver.
    I say this because I saw a couple of videos on YouTube about someone having a similar problem w/a Honda Civic Hybrid.
    I certainly hope this was not you! (the person who started this thread). If it is the same person, then you may have damaged a component by driving the car up to & beyond 5000rpm's. I would suggest that you read the engine specs in your owners manual.
    None the less, good luck and I hope you get your situation straighten out.

3. Bigleftyinaz

Bigleftyinaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happen to the follow up?The OP vanished with no updates

4. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As the owner of a 2000 Honda Insight MT that only has 73,000 miles on it, I've had a completely different experience with my Honda dealer. I visit Honda of Conyers when I have a Honda question or need my oil change done. The service department is top notch and friendly.

The techs like my car and have clued me into many things about the rarity of this vehicle. They helped me locate a rim to replace one that I bent and gave me a lead on who had tires in stock for it when I needed a replacement but couldn't wait for it to be ordered (We were leaving for Disney World the next day!).

I think the experience that each person has, really has to factor in the personal issues of both the customer and the business.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Insight I is nothing like the Civic Hybrid or even Insight II.

It sounds very much like a brake dragging issue as was suggested or just premature death of the IMA battery which these cars are known for and give a bad reputation to all hybrids. The new software "fix" is to just not rely on the battery as much. So basically take a mild hybrid and make it milder so that the battery fails after the warranty expires instead of near the end. It is a joke, and hopefully the new 2012 civic will fix it.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "update" is not yet complete. It seems Honda's ORIGINAL battery programing (to prevent premature battery capacity loss) was such that the car over-used the battery (so to speak), such that they lost capacity quicker than Honda had originally anticipated. The battery pack was simply not robust enough to reach it's EPA rated 100,000 mile life / full capacity expectancy (much less 150,000 miles in CARB rules following states).
    But here's the REAL rub:
    Step 1
    Honda recalls / reprograms the civic hybrid battery management system, so that the car uses less battery potential - thus, allowing the battery to NOT loose significant capacity and thus, last until the end of its warranted life / max capacity (they don't die, they simply loose capacity ... slowly).

Step 2
    Civic owners complain to Honda because now, the Civics no longer have their EPA stated MPG (duah ! ... the batteries are no longer called upon to do as much work!)

Step 3
    EPA is working with Honda because their MPG is believed (according to EPA) to have originally been over stated ... and Civics were about to be thrown out of car pool lanes due to their lower MPG's. The point is Moot now in CA because hybrid stickers expired last month.

Lastly
    Honda is working with EPA, consumer groups etc to try and keep the issue out of the courts, and to reach an equitable remedy for both manufacturer and customer, based on lost MPG's ... lost battery life ... extra fuel cost ... short battery life, and the like. ie, the saga continues. So ... a 2+ year old zombie thread is finally resurrected for a legitimate cause. I thought I'd never see the day.
    :)

Here's a typical read on the issue:
    Honda Civic Hybrid owners unhappy with battery fix - Mar. 1, 2011

The Good news is that Honda is going Lithium, which will hopefully remedy the battry/premature death issue.