1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clanking load noises at the rear passenger seats.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Dquico, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Dquico

Dquico New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anyone knows what it is? It sounds like two metals hitting each other. It makes sounds everytime i hit a bump and louder if its too bumpy. It sounds like coming from the seat itself or near the door at rear side seat

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably suspension. isn't there a usb on a loose strut nut or something?

3. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Early build 2016 prius May have loose nuts on the rear strut bolts. There is a TSB out for the problem. Also the rear hatch can rattle; this is an easy fix by resetting the little plastic bumper on the hatch door. Yes, I know the sound is annoying, good luck.

4. renzo750

renzo750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been dealing with this for 13 months and 25,000 miles - I've had the shock nuts done per the TSB, the techs have insulated the panels in back and the bumper, they have even consider outside trim pieces (as have I). I've spent hours and hours trying to pin this down, it's been back to the dealer multiple times and they have spent hours chasing it - I(we) thought rear seat arm rest, hatch cover rattle, stowed under rear floor stuff...what have you ... it's been a monster frustration that almost pushed me to dumping the car...as it just seemed to get worse and worse...

Finally I tore most everything I could out, rode in the back and concluded that the rattle was coming from behind the right rear interior panel. I put an "X" in tape on the panel and took it back to the dealer for the 5th or 6th time.

Conclusion and solution - just this week! quoting service order "Rattle upon driving internal baffle issue with right rear shock, replaced shock..."
    482201 Replaced Right Rear Shock
    48530-80788 Absorber set shock
    48750-47020 support assy RR sus
    94130-61200 Nut
    90201-16039 Washer Plate
    90109-A0066 Bolt

When I picked the car up I was stunned - it was amazing to finally feel like I was driving a solid car!

5. renzo750

renzo750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Spoke too soon - the rattle continues - It's getting elevated to the regional manager - I love the performance and comfort of this car the near constant rattles in the hatch rear seat area are insane - chasing this crap for over a year. SO sick of it - I can't stand to try and drive without my hearing aids turned off and the stereo cranked - thankfully I have the JBL :)

Seems like the rear seat/arm rest of cover - MUCH worse when it's cold out.

I'm so disappointed in this car... all over a minor issues that has turned into a major annoyance that pisses me off every time I get in the car