1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Class action against Toyota on Prius Brake Booster Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Peter123, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Peter123

Peter123 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After the lawyers take their cut, we ll be left with pennies to fight over.

PosauneGuy likes this.
  3. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah! We'll all get a $5 coupon good for our next Toyota vehicle purchase!

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    april 6, any news yet?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gaaah, another lawyer building a case by throwing actual brake failures and the way the unplanned regen-to-friction transition always feels into the same basket.

Which means there is no good way for it to turn out. If it prevails, we may learn a lot and see some progress on the brake failure front, which would be great, but the lawyers get rewarded for making a dishonest case.

If it gets booted, that's richly earned just desserts for the lawyers, which would be a very valuable outcome, but leave us back to square one on the brake failures.

Somewhere, on some corner of the planet, you're telling me, there aren't two or three lawyers smart enough to see that?

davecook89t likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There was a lawsuit that I joined which I was paying electronic payment fees for school loans back while ago. I made a lump sum to pay off the entire ending balance in the 5 digit value range and was hit by the big fee it being a large transaction. Last week the check issued to me arrived, 20 big cents.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if this is related to a disgruntled newbie who posted here sometime in the past year. But I haven't found that thread yet.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I'm remembering the same thread, I think I more-than-half-suspected that "disgruntled newbie" was an intern from the law firm, assigned to "go join some forums and generate some outraged Prius owner comments", and who was totally unprepared for responses like "well, you're mixing together real failures with a different known behavior some drivers aren't used to, wouldn't it be better to learn the distinction and build an honest case around the failures?"

fuzzy1 likes this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know who the person is. There are quotes that I have saved up for my next signature. That person has Provided me some valuable quotes!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This thread title sounded promising, concerns about the brake booster. But the link is about the wonky brake feel, running over manholes and the like. Bait and switch? (n)

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's mixing them together indiscriminately. That's the thing:

The second one is clearly a brake failure, detected with warning lights, maybe one of the rare but awful floored-pedal-no-stoppies. The fourth one is clearly an "ok, you haven't familiarized yourself with what the regen/friction transition feels like, have you?" The first one is probably also that, with an added "how on earth did you let that split-second transition turn into hitting a car?" The third one sounds pretty scary but leaves so much out it could go either way.

Law firm for old UA cases at least hired the Barr Group to study the ECUs and present a case that made an effort to get the facts straight. This law firm seems convinced there's nothing needed beyond throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping the jury likes mushrooms.

That rots, because we know some cars in fact have had scary failures including floored-pedal-no-stoppies, and it would be great to have some process to learn more about what's going on there, but I'm not optimistic a bunch of spaghetti-throwing is how that'll happen.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The lawsuit described in this press release seems to be one of several with broadly similar allegations.

Besides that case in the Southern District of Ohio (Hendricks v. Toyota Motor Corporation et al., 1:20-cv-00263-TSB), cases have been filed in the Northern District of California (Alaniz v. Toyota Motor Corporation et al., 4:20-cv-01351-JST) and in the Eastern District of Texas (In re: Toyota Hybrid Brake Litigation, 4:20-cv-00127-ALM).

The courts are still working out where the litigation will proceed, and the parties to the Ohio case, in which Toyota has not yet filed an answer, have stipulated to a stay through July 7.

Interested readers can use PACER to view the docket sheets and filings.

14. dj.m

dj.m Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s behind a paywall but it seems like Toyota is settling with the individual litigants.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    20 cents each?