1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Class Action Suit? (The Prius v wagon is a lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Kate Somerville, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    And it Canada where I live none of the packages are called 1,2,3,4, or 5. Makes life a lot easier.

Kate Somerville likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Which states are those? For the ones where it's available w/new cars, please list them at which states have a "cooling off"/return period on new cars? | PriusChat. So far, nobody's been able to name even one.

Yep. Hilarious.

Toyota switched to spelling out the model numbers instead of Roman numerals w/model year 2011 (MY11 Prius | PriusChat of the liftback.

'12 Prius v wagon became available in October 2011 (Toyota Announces Pricing for All-New 2012 Prius v and Prius Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles | Toyota) and '12 Prius c became available March 2012 (Toyota Announces Pricing for 2012 Prius c | Toyota).

I also see 0 connection w/Deming and Toyota's quality control.

3. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Returning an item is easy; the tricky part can be not paying for the privilege.

cwerdna likes this.
  5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But a party of one does not make a Class Action!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this never would have happened if demming were still alive.

cwerdna likes this.
  7. Kate Somerville

Kate Somerville New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Okay, so I deserve the bashing, and I know how trollers love that. And yeah, I am frustrated. I wanted to replace my 2010 of the same model. And now I find the heat does not work very well, even after a half hour driving, and it's in the teens out there. And the MPG overall is 27.7, totally unacceptable. I emailed them twice and called, was told a manager would call back. Nothing. My 2010 also had a Security Alarm. It still has the 3-car garage remote opener and added this ridiculous button explaining how to park, which I think is stupid as a trade-off for LKA and Security Alarm. The MPG in both A and B is totally confusing, my 2010 had a steady MPG and this one is all over the place from 99.9 and steadily up and down to, like, 5.5 MPG, constantly. Plus they added my remaining 4 grand on the 2010 loan onto the sticker price, like I am paying tax twice on that. Okay, bash me some more. I know I went in totally unschooled. Over the years I just walked in and took the car I liked. Never went through the sales process. I just wanted my 2010 and thought the 2012 would be that and more. No wonder she rushed to the paper signing after the tech dude showed me features and I didn't have a chance to tell her. When I told her she said, "Too late, you signed the paperwork." It was like being hypnotized.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    27.7 MPG is really low for a Prius vagon
    I suggest you head over to the thread set up for people unhappy with their fuel economy and fill out the questionnaire. Good feedback is usually received so that the owner at the least knows why the fuel economy is low.

Spoiler: the answer is usually the driver and/or the route. Very, very rarely it is the car.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the absence of warning lights and codes, the dealer is likely to be useless in helping you fix low MPG issues. There is huge variability depending on both driver style and the particular routes and usage, and the dealership just isn't in a reasonable position to improve either.

Here is the questionnaire, please post as many answers as practical. You can post this either to this thread, or start a new thread under the "Prius v Fuel Economy' forum.
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new

P.S.:
    On your 2010, if you never reset the A and B trip meters, then MPG was steady because it included a lot of prior history. You didn't have the car long enough to change it much. If the previous owner also didn't reset those meters, then the displayed number was mostly the result of the previous owner, not your own use.

After resetting the meters, the displayed trip MPG should initially vary wildly, then settle as trip distance increase. But the instantaneous MPG will still vary wildly.

#69 fuzzy1, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    cwerdna likes this.
  10. Kate Somerville

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got a 404 on the how-to read the voltage.

11. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It really IS. And the dealers know that and take full advantage of it.

But all is not lost......IF you learned anything from the experience.

Dr. Phil calls it a stupid tax.

Extended test drives are part of the solution, so that you can take it home overnight with "the book" and check it all out thoroughly.
    Pay them $50 to rent it for a day if necessary. That is much better than the situation that your are in now.

But now new information has come to light.
    Did you REALLY not know that they would be including the remainder of your previous loan in the selling price. Honestly ??
    Did they not give you a completed invoice to look at BEFORE you signed anything ??
    If they did and that invoice changed IN THE LEAST LITTLE BIT before you signed it, I think you have a good legal case.

At this point, it's probably best to lick your wounds and resolve to not do it again.......or look for a lawyer.
    It won't cost you much to find out that you have no case.

We are 68 posts into the thread.
    What voltage are you trying to read .......and why ??

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a cheap volt meter. radio shack, sears, etc. $10., connect it to the battery terminals under the hood after the cars has been off for 3 hours. report back here with the reading for many different opinions of what it means.:p

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Your MPG readout seems to be set to the instantaneous readout, it varies according to the MPG that the ECU calculates you have very recently achieved. 99 says you aren't using much gas at this instant where 5 says you are accelerating hard up a hill in cold weather with a cold engine. You use this display setting to provide insight into your driving style and thus see how you can affect your overall MPG. It is covered in the manual. And probably changeable on your steering wheel via a disp button (I say probably only because I don't have a five but it is changeable on my three.). You could change to a display of trip MPG or no display if you'd prefer.

jhinsc likes this.
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ or maybe OP is looking at trip rather than tank or lifetime.
    She does not seem inclined to read the manual (or contract) before she comes here looking for someone (else) to blame.

15. Kate Somerville

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As suggested, reading voltage is part of filling out questionnaire on poor mileage, and the link there on how to do the voltage did not work (404). And, I had the Prius v for 3+ months before this, I know how to view all the versions of MPG, and have been watching it closely. And I am very cautious and conservative in my driving, especially now, and try to work that EV. I'm taking it to be serviced Monday. I read my 2010 and 2012 manuals. There are few hills in Philly. It is established I was an unschooled buyer. And that 5 to 99 readout is, like, 10 blocks driving light to light, slowly. And Easy Rider 2 made most sense, the balance was not even paid off yet by the insurance, I walked in thinking I could not buy a car yet. And yes, I learned from this experience. End of story.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see my post #72.:)

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When PriusChat migrated to new website platforms, multiple times, links were broken and many have not yet been fixed.

Here is a new version of that link: Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery

However, "The procedure below is for 2004-2009 models. Others must check the battery with a voltmeter or a scan gauge." Because that procedure does not apply to your 2012, you will need a separate voltmeter. Skip that step for now and answer what you can for the rest. We can address the condition of the 12V battery later.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Kate, I understand your frustration. At least in my case, prior Prius experience works against the driver of the new model. All of the concepts are the same--and still valid but the transition points are different so that the actions that have become instinctive don't quite work. Since the Prius v isn't the same car as your 2010 V I suspect things have changed.

Since you are in Philly please consider coming to the EEVC meeting at 7:00pm on January 14. Home

(It's not just for EVs and if you get there before I do tell them, "Jim sent me".) At the very least, I'll read the voltage of the 12v and we can see what is or is not happening.

As for the purchase, let he who has not been taken advantage of by the car dealer throw the first stone. I am sure that every day (excluding Sundays because they are closed) someone somewhere is talked into buying something they didn't want because either the desired vehicle wasn't on the lot or they were moved to something with a higher margin or to something that wasn't moving. I know someone who got talked into a Yaris because a Prius wasn't on the lot.

The v is a good car. Let's do what we can to get the most out of it.

19. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well, there are some hills in and around Philly, if you live in Manayunk (area of the city built on side of a hill) and take Lincoln drive (long twisty and steep road) every morning on a cold engine with the heater pumping this could explain the terrible mpg....

Plus if all of your trips are short your car might never get up to optimal operating temp.... Add cold weather and under inflated tires into the mix and it all starts adding up.

But yeah 27.7 still seems low.

And unless you are resetting your trip meter every few miles I don't understand how your mpg is fluctuating so much, the only logical reason is you are observing the instantaneous mpg readout.

I reset trip "A" at every tank refill, and do my calculated mpg at this point, I also write down miles driven per tank, indicated mpg, and the difference between calculated and indicated on the gas receipt.

I never reset trip "B" as that is my lifetime mpg indicated readout...

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because they're option packages. In the U.S., they tried to go with trim levels with option packages (like the SR and AT packages). A slight difference.