1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clatter(?) Noise from rear of car at 30mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ProspectivePriusPeruser, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ProspectivePriusPeruser

ProspectivePriusPeruser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I recently (Three days ago) bought a Gen2 with 390,000Km on the clock and what a car it is! I noticed no issues during a test drive or on the way home and MPG is phenomenal.

I scraped my driveway a couple of times ( I believe in the middle of the car) and I'm not sure if the scrape was the cause, or if I only noticed afterwards, but when the ICE is on (particularly on an incline, but also happens on flat) I sometimes notice a noise that sounds like tin cans clattering together.

It's not always, and when it's not happening the engine sounds perfect. I don't currently have a recording but I'll leave my phone in the cupholder and record next time I drive to see if I can capture it. It seems to mainly happen around 30mph and seems to correlate with RPM/Throttle position.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it's an easy fix, or if there are any suggestions on what can be done? I had someone look under the rear of the car and they didn't think anything looked out of place or wrong, but this noise has me very worried about my new baby :(

Thanks so so so much in advance for any assistance

2. ProspectivePriusPeruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a video of the sound, most noticeable around 15 seconds. Sounds more severe in person.

3. ProspectivePriusPeruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it a heat shield?

5. ProspectivePriusPeruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bisco,

When I first took the photo I had a limited view of under the car due to where I had parked, I've had another look and it does appear to be sagging over the exhaust pipe where I couldn't see, and the part that is cracked does seem to be part of the heat shield.

Cheers,

PPP

bisco likes this.