1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clazzio & heated seat kit from TRD Sparks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusGuy32, Dec 31, 2013.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed my Clazzio seat covers and heated seats this past spring; I just didnt wire the heated seated until today. I figured...it was going to be summertime and I was busy at the time, so I'd just wait until it got cold.

It was pretty straightforward - I wired it into the 12v accessory plug in the center console. My drivers side seat works, and it works very well. But it seems like the passenger side doesnt work as well as the driver side. You have to leave it on for a long time to feel any warmth and Im not sure if its the seat making the warmth, or my butt from sitting there for so long...lol.

The lights come on the switch and I verified that with the car off, ignition on (accessory mode), that when I put on the passenger side, I a draw at the 12v battery when checked with a multimeter.

Anything I can check myself before I call TRD Sparks on Monday? Do the seat warmers have some kind of thermostat?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You need to put your multi meter in series with the seat heater on a range of about 20 amps to see if it is drawing any current. You could also check with the ohms scale for a resistance reading through the seat heating element to check if it is open circuit. Testing the working seat will give the figures to expect.

John (Britprius)

3. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

It is definitely drawing power, but is nowhere as effective in heating your butt and back as the driver side. Im going to call TRD Sparks tomorrow, I think I got a defective set.

I read on the Sparks site that the heating pads have built-in thermostats; this interests me. I wonder if maybe I could find the sense wire and put a diode or something on it?

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much current is it drawing compared to the drivers side. If a thermostat was controlling the heaters you would expect to see the current go to zero as the seat reached temperature, or reduce significantly if the thermostat only turned off part of the heater.

John (Britprius)

5. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Heres what I have concluded;

The drivers side seat appears to work better because I sit in it all of the time, and the Clazzio cover has had time to break in. There is a thin layer of foam underneath the Clazzio cover, and I think I just have better contact with the heating pad just from wear and tear of getting in, sitting and getting out of the drivers side all the time.

Of course, the passenger side sees maybe 50% less activity than my side, and I think the Clazzio cover is barely broken in. The foam is not as broken in as my side. The heated seat works, it just seems to take longer to get hot, but it does eventually.

At least, thats my theory :D :coffee:

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bet you are appreciating those seat covers now. Hope you stay warm. From a "former snow bunny"...