1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clean EGR Manifold, Pipe, Replaced Fuel Injectors, Still Shudder

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tony D Mafia, May 20, 2023.

1. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All!

Thanks in advance for any Advice. Replaced all Spark Plugs and Engine Coils. Did a Thorough Manifold Cleaning, and Pipe Cleaning (Gas Mileage jumped by 180 mi/tank).

Replaced all fuel injectors carefully (Used engine grease and Dialectric grease). I didn't replaced the Orange gaskets that the fuel injectors sit in on the engine side.

Took Prius out for a Spin, still shuddering at low speeds. Is this just aerated fuel working its way out of the system? No codes were yet triggered.

Thoughts? Should I replace the engine O rings that the fuel injectors sit in?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on your car? Any evidence of bad head gasket? When you cleaned the intake manifold, did you clean the 4 small passages that were probably clogged with carbon?

3. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great Questions. 245K. No evidence as of yet. Just refilled the Tranny Fluid, and holding the level, plus changed oil and no evidence of discoloration, and never has overheated. I did Clean the 4 passages and the Manifold VERY thoroughly.

After the Manifold Cleaning, I got a 4th Cylinder Misfire Code--Cleaned all 4 injectors while I waited for the new injectors to arrive. I got a "Multiple Cylinder Misfire" Code after the cleaning, after running great for about 20minutes.

I installed the new injectors last night, 30sec shudder upon starting, then ran phenomenally for about 10 minutes, before the shudder started to slowly return. No Codes Yet.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    By "Pipe" you mean the stainless steel pipe that bridges between intake manifold and EGR valve:

How about the EGR valve and EGR cooler (colloquial name for the largish radiator contraption between the EGR valve and exhaust manifold).

I'd second @JC91006 : miles is paramount. Ditto for cleaning of those small EGR passages in the intake manifold.

Also: neglected EGR leads to head gasket failure (well that's my theory, but I take some flak for it...). Once the head gasket's commenced failing, no amount of EGR cleaning is going to "heal" the head gasket; you need to address the failed head gasket first, THEN get on the EGR cleaning ASAP thereafter, to avoid a repeat.

Pic of EGR Pipe, Valve and Cooler (highlighted, in order, left to right):

upload_2023-5-20_7-12-50.png

See first couple of links in my signature for more info on EGR cleaning. If you're on a phone turn it landscape to see signatures.

5. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

THANKS FOR the advice. I'll check out the EGR Cooler cleaning info you have on your links.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s the miles?

sorry, answered above. That’s a LOT, you will find a massive amount of carbon in the valve and cooler.

Best prep for head gasket being kaput though. Leak down test or boroscope inspection to see.

7. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks a lot for the "heads" up. I'll follow your instruction for the egr cooler and valve and we'll go from there.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Everyone,

Replaced the EGR Valve. Cleaned the EGR Cooler Thoroughly. When I unplug the EGR System Car runs well, once replugged in still shuddering very badly when I accelerate. Thoughts?

9. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've reopened the EGR Manifold and ReCleaned it. Missed quite a bit. Those four little holes were packed solid, I'm ashamed/relieved to admit. Also swapped out PCV Valve while I was down there.
    Glad to have learned everything I learned, including being able to take off and clean EGR Valve and Cooler. All of this stuff seemed COMPLETELY OVERWHELMING at first, but I feel so much more able and connected to my prius now.

I'll let you know how it runs tmoro. Thanks for all of the assistance.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Tony D Mafia

Tony D Mafia New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    She's Running Great now. If anything else pops up, I'll log back in!! Thanks for all of your help!

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.