1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clean HV fan when changing 12 Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eclipse1701d, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello all. I recently came across some threads about cleaning the HV fan to prevent battery over-heating/failure. I had some free time after changing my Transaxle Fluid and decided to take a stab at it. I have a 2007 Prius with 91,000 miles and have been the only owner, no pets in the car and minimal passengers.

I found that my fan was quite full of carpet fibers from the interior and alot of dust. I removed the fan, blew it out with a compressor, and cleaned the fins on the fan with a toothbrush (no not the one I use for my teeth).

My fiance also has a 2007 with 81,000 miles. Now that I have done this, I will take pictures when I clean her fan. It is NOT difficult and I think this should be done everytime you change your 12 Volt, and more often if you have frequent passengers!

An hour of work may save your battery from unneccesary stress that can lead to failure from over-heating.

Tools: 10mm and 12mm extended socket and phillips screw driver

Procedure:

1: Remove vent in backseat by removing bolt located behind the seat cusion. It's black, just push down the seat cusion and look, presto there it is! Then, open your hatch and remove the carpet, floor and plastic bin and set aside. Your spare tire should now be exposed.

2: Remove the two bolts holding the passenger side plastic cover in the rear compartment. Note that when you put this back the long bolt closer to the seat is a little tricky. You have to use your finger to get it back into the hole because of the angle.

3: Remove the bolt holding the metal harness closest to the passenger side tail light.

4: Pull the big plastic panel off that covers your wheel well. It comes right off and easily snaps back into place!

5: Remove the screws holding the fan in place. There is a wire harness in the way. Disconnect the two ends, remove the clip that attaches it to the fan (it slides off) and gently move out of the way.

6: When removing the fan, make sure you disconnect the plug that is attached to the fan motor before you remove it all the way. (PLEASE REMEMBER TO REATTACH THIS TO THE FAN AFTER YOU CLEAN IT!) If you don't, the fan will not work and all this will have been for nothing and detrimental to the HV Battery Pack... The exact opposite of why you are doing this.

7: One of the black vent tubes is attached to the fan with a bolt. I left it on during the procedure.

8: Fire up your compressor and clean your fan. Follow that up with a toothbrush or other brush. Remember, the fins are plastic and don't like being cleaned with a wire brush.

9: Connect the power supply wire to the fan and reinstall. Make sure the vent tubes are properly seated. The vent tube plastic is quite plyable and thin so make sure there are no gaps.

10: Reverse the above procedure and bolt everything back in.

11: Now, take your Prius out for a spin. You may have just added a few years onto the life of your traction battery and in this economy, that's a good thing!

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just did this yesterday at 10.5 years/101,000 miles. Mine was crazy clean. Used Q-tip swabs to clean each and every fin. I spent a couple of hours (several minutes extra when I, forgot to reconnect the fan and then dropped a screw and fastener below the battery GRRRR!). Next time will take less than an hour. For me, it turned out to be a waste of time. Dealer wanted $300. Come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER heard that fan go on. No pets, no food allowed in car.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a dog so I installed a fan filter after I cleaned my fan. Got some double sided tape. The thick white stuff. Ringed the fan inlet next to the rear seat with this tape. Bought a piece of white filter media and cut out a perfect square to fit the ringed tape. Pressed it on and has been on for 30K miles.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It likely does run tho. I've never heard ours (3rd gen), but it does run frequently, according to a ScanGauge.

kenoarto likes this.